Thread: car runs too cold!?

Vehicle
    89 LX-i 5 speed

car runs too cold!?

alright im thinking of doing my thermostat again here because my car i think really does run too cold but before i do it can anyone think of anything else it could possibly be that causes my car to run (probably) cold (and then theres the whole 14MPG issue)

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    well, my 3gee runs too cold. although it will warm up to a good running temp. when i start it from a cold start, it takes about 5 minutes for it to warm up. in the summer it may be a bit quicker. i thought it may be a thermostat problem but i havent done anything to check it. also, my engine is carbed and the hot air intake valve doesnt seem to work. i can say my car never overheats. it has but that was because of a busted hose. dont know about you poor gas mileage. i know mine wasnt too good, but since i had the timing reset, it gets a noticeable increase in gas mileage.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    87 LX
    Too cold? THats weird. Did you use a 160 degree thermostat? I hope not. Or it could be locked in the open position not letting it warm up properly.
    I say get a new thermostat and make sure its 195 degrees.
    A trick I learn from living in the freezing balls weather of the north is to put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator untill it warms up. Then hop out, throw the cardboard in the trunk and drive.
    ------------------

Vehicle
    88 accord lx-i coupe 5sp.
    my friend did that cardboard trick, but he would drive with it left in there, it was pretty cool, when he accelerated, it sounded like he had a turbo that was spooling up.
    -Brian
    -"lifes a bitch,i swear to god, you take your chances, too many questions and not enuogh answers!"-nappy roots

My Accord

Vehicle
    89 LX-i 5 speed
    could a way to tell if its really my thermostat be this:

Isnt it true that coolant shouldnt be abel to flow to the upper radiator hose until it is sufficiently warm? (to open the thermostat) does this mean that if my upper is warm-hot but my air isnt i have a thermostat problem?

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i
    cool upper rad hose means an open thermostat....if you start your car cold, let it warm up, hold your hand around the upper rad hose, you WILL feel a noticeable heat increase in the hose as the thermostat opens up.
    My other Honda has 2 more cylinders, and 2 less wheels.