Thread: 88lxi pistons better than 87lxi???

DX User

Question 88lxi pistons better than 87lxi???

I was reading today about the 87efi model having 10hp less than the 88efi model. I did a search and it says the 87 has 8.8:1 comp vs. 9.3:1 in the 88. I know there are other differences between the two models but can you just swap out the 87 pistons for the 88 pistons? I can get a set practically for free so I want to know it I should even bother. Also do the pistons have a 19mm wrist pin? I've been trying to think of other cars with 83mm bores that might work (doubtful) the only one I can think of is the 5m/7mge.
    87lxi 4door auto 86whp/all motor!
    95 del sol b17a turbo 207whp/7psi

Vehicle
    87 LX
    the bore is 82.7MM stock, yea the pistons will swap over. You can get 12to1 aftermarket ones if you want
    One differance is the intake manifold between 86-87 and 88-88
    One is two stage, don't ask me what one though.
    ------------------

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    the diff is not just the pistons. the head is diff too. there are 3 diff pistons and two diff heads for our stock engines at honda dealer.
    Alex.

DX User
    but the pistons are different? I just took the head off an 88lxi at the junk yard and the block is still sitting there so I can get the pistons out of it. I just don't want to go through the hassle if they are the same or won't fit. I noticed the dual stage intake manifold while I was there so I know it's the newer one.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    yes the pistons are the same.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    the diff with the pistons is the bore size i belive (A size, B size and .030 over), the profile is the same. As for the power difference, thats just the intake manifold (dual stage) and the 4-2-1 exaust etc

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord lxi 5spd hatchie/84 accord lx 4-dr/74 dodge dart
    So I'm still unclear as to whether or not it's benificial to do this swap?what do I need to do ,to do the swap?Do I have to take off the head...stuff like that.

I'm a mushroom cloud layin' mutha fu**er,muthafu**er--Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattalica13

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    you can also get 9.5:1
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

DX User
    9.5:1 at the dealer? So 88 pistons have higher compression than 87's or is the combustion chamber smaller in a 88 head? The 87 is listed at 8.8:1 and the 88 is 9.3:1 so I want to know what they did to change it.

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    to swap pistons, this is what needs to be done at bare minimum. (and assuming you have some mechanical talent)

1. lift the front end off the ground (wheels off, no ramps)

2. remove the crossmember (under the engine)

3. disconnect the downpipe from the header so that it will swing out the way when you need it to.

4. remove oil pan (after draining it, of course)

5. from here, remove bearings, rods, and pistons. to do this, you will want to turn one of the wheels when needed to get at all the pistons. i think its the right wheel, and the car needs to be in gear.

6. you might want to re-hone your cylinders. that part can be purchased at sears for $25.

7. put new stuff in, and reassemble.

the advantage of this is that the head doesn't have to come off, and thus the timing belt is still in the right place, the valves are still tight, etc.

any more questions, just post here, or pm me. i've done this once on my car, and once on another.
    www.stein-photo.com
    born to XLR8

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    no no no you can only get stock compression at the dealer, to get different piston profiles you need to get diamond forged pistons or have JE pistons made etc... big work here folks.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 honda accord lx
    If u want to raise ur compression just get some diamond pistons 10 or 12 if u want to upgrade go big ull thank urself later when ur whooping that civic in the next race lol

DX User
    Can you pull your pistons out the bottom? Wouldn't you have to have the crankshaft out? I've never tried it on an a20 but on some motors there is a small lip at the bottom of the bore and even with the crank out you have to take the pistons out through the top. You said you've done it but it just doesn't seem like you could get the piston/rod assembly past the crankshaft.