Thread: Throttle Body or TPS

Throttle Body or TPS

Does anyone know about sources for aftermarket throttle bodies or TPS's? I think, but am not 100% sure, that an idle problem I have is related to a bad TPS. On our FI cars you have to replace the whole throttle body to get a new TPS.

I am wondering if there is a cheaper source in the aftermarket for a throttle body assembly, or if there are kits that you can get to replaced the TPS after drilling out the rivets holding the factory part in place.

Majestic Honda gets $339 for a factory replacement throttle body. I would hate to spend that and have it not be the problem.

Later!

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    JG used to bore them out and put in a new butterfly for $250 if you send them yours. But someone mentioned a while back they don't do it anymore. The junkyard is the best place to grab a TB (with TPS) if you aere unsure of the cause of the problem.
    www.b20accord.com

Vehicle
    2000 Audi S4 Twin Turbo/ 2007 Honda Fit Sport/ 2010 Ford Flex Limited
    Explain the idle problem. Does it fluctuate? Or when you come to a stop, does the throttle stay up.. the TPS sensor relays the point of the butterfly in the throttle body to the ECU, if that was bad, then the car would have a hard time running.

1-11-2014 Dyno Day
    587 - AWHP
    454.6 -TQ
    http://youtu.be/TqCtTbjQqFg

www.tvme.info

88, I entered the problem in the "Technical" section a while ago. I got some very good suggestions, but a link to a .pdf file (which does not work now) suggested either a TPs problem or vacuum leak. Since I cannot find any vacuum leaks I thought I might try the TPS.

When the engine is good and warmed up, ambient temp 85 or above, I get a surging idle when coasting to a stop or down a highway exit ramp. The problem is intermittent, but the hotter it gets outside, the more often it does it.

Since the TPS is basically a variable resistor it could be affected by heat. I just don't know. The car doesn't stall or anything so I have just been living with it for several years. Even the local Honda dealer, which has an excellent shop, could not find the problem. They didn't even charge me anything, wow!

Anyway, if anyone has had this problem and fixed it it would be on this board, I figured.

Thanks!

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 accord lxi
    dud, my caris the same way right now. it was doing the surging when i started it up too, but i changed the fast idle valve and it stopped at idle, but now if i go out and try and hold it at siad rpm's it surges like crazy, it sounds pretty retarted. im going to try pulling the tb off my 89 and swap it to my 88 but the 88 has no plug on the tps, and i am kind of weary of cutting wires that may not need to be cut. from what i can see, the tps goes strait into the engine harness. oh and i read that .pdf file, good stuff, really helpful.

peace and good luck

fussell

Yeah, I replaced the fast idle valve last year because I had occasional surging while the car was warming up. It drives fine and idles fine. I get the surging when coasting and only when it is really warm (like warm enough for the radiator fan to come on when the car is stopped). That's what makes me think it is either a vacuum leak or the TPS.

When you let off the gas to coast the engine slows to near idle, bounces back up to about 2,000 RPM, slows down, bounces up, etc. a few times before it settles down. It does not does not do this standing still, only coasting.

Funstick suggested the throttle input cable to the transmission. Mine seems OK, but the manual describes this as a very sensitive adjustment. Maybe I will put the correct amount of play in the throttle cable and try adjusting this to see if it helps. You gotta love these FI cars. They give you practically no trouble, but when they do it isn't easy to figure out what's wrong.

Later!

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    have you tried to spray your intake manifold with throttlebody cleaner while it runs????????

If you have a vacuum leak, the engine will die when you spray it on the leak.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

many Hondas have fallen vivtim to the bad fast idle that causes surging at idle
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau