Thread: SEi rear disc conversion help

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Sedan

SEi rear disc conversion help

I have a 88 DX sedan.

I pulled the knuckle, spindle, hub, rotor, calipers, and e-brake cable. Also the proportioning valve off a SEi.

I plan to go back and pull off the driver side rear disc and master cylinder on saturday b/c of work on friday.

My question is, what else do I need?
    Do I need the brake lines for the rear or will my DX brake lines work?
    I've read past threads, and some people said to use them. While, some people that ACTUALLY did the swap, didn't mention anything about using the SEi brake lines. I just don't want to buy it if I don't need it. Its about $16 each side.

Are the e-brake cables different lengths b/n a coupe and sedan? The SEi at the yard is a coupe, and I have a sedan. Would I be able to make it fit?

The master cylinder at the yard is missing the cap. Does the cap from my DX master cylinder fit the SEi master cylinder? Or should I just find an LXi with a complete master cylinder instead? Is there any difference b/n the DX/LX and LXi/SEi master cylinder?

Also, the long bolt, the one about 7-8" long on the driver side is stuck. Its the one behind the hub that goes diagonal. I've stepped on it with my weight. I've sprayed it with PB Blaster and after almost an hour working on it, I couldn't get it to budge and eventually called it a day. Any tips for loosening it? I plan to bring a friend with me, and using a pipe on our socket wrench for extra torque. Any other ideas? No, we don't have access to power tools.

Would I have a problem if I ran DX rotors up front instead of the LXi/SEi rotors? One person wrote in a previous thread the stopping power was fine, and didn't mention any problems when he did rear disc swap on his DX and keeping the front stock. For the whole brake assembly for one side, it will run me about $90, and pretty much being laid off last week, I'm trying to cut down on the unnecessary expenses.

Any tips on taking off the brake rotor? Those 2 little 6mm phillips screws are on pretty tight. I've sprayed them with PB Blaster. Is it better to go out and buy a big phillips screws that fits in it snug, or an impact screwdriver? How does the impact screwdriver work? I need to buy extra bits that fits the screw? Or should I just take it to a brake shop and have them take it off for me?

Any help before Saturday morning appreciated, and any help after Saturday, would just mean an additional trip to the yard to get the parts.
    Last edited by buish; 02-05-2004 at 10:11 PM.

Vehicle
    1987/honda/accord(hatchback)
    well i dont know on the brake conversion but as far as the screws on the rotors ive always took a phillips and a hammer and gave it a big tap on the end of the screw driver and it has always unscrewed then for me. if you cant do anything else maybe give it a try. hope its some help anyways.
    Left alone with the darkness, while shadows dance along the wall
    http://members.cardomain.com/87accorhatchback

Accord of the Year - 2008

Vehicle
    89 Accord No Motor and 88 Accord HB LX-i
    I got both of mine and the Valve for 125.00 But the E brake cable's where cut
    LX-R coming soon Here's a hint. 89mm stroke/ 41.60cc head /ARP head & main stud's /SRP piston's 81.5mm 9:5:1/Crower Rod's & more to come

LX User
    Vehicle
    ok, i'm going to try the hammering trick on the rotor.

i'm probably going to pay about $200 for everything, rear disc, proportioning valve, and master cylinder. it would be cheaper if i could take off the rotors at the yard, but wasn't able to.

ok, i really need help with the brake lines, do i need them or not? i left them at the yard laying there. also need help with the master cylinder, will the DX master cylinder cap fit on the SEi master cylinder?

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Go to Majestic

www.hondaautomotiveparts.com And cross reference the part numbers if they match on the DX and the SEi that you are taking the parts off of then you are good to go. I do know that the e-cables are different #s between coupe and sedan.
    Hope this helps, LOL
    Phil

Vehicle
    88 accord lx-i coupe 5sp.
    since u have a dx, i believe uu need the front brakes and wheels bucause the rear discs are 13's so u wanna match the front ones, and those discs no longer fit behind the wheel.
    -Brian
    -"lifes a bitch,i swear to god, you take your chances, too many questions and not enuogh answers!"-nappy roots

My Accord

LX User
    Vehicle
    ok, i'll check out the reference later tonite.

no problem with the wheels, already running 17".