Thread: Brake Time

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*

Brake Time

ok, its time for me to stop being lazy and get to working the little problems out of the brakes. i've had the problem of a slightly warped rotor for the longest time. no biggie, but it can be annoying when it shake once in a while. my uncle offered me some help with that shit. he must be pretty good because he re-did the the brakes on his old chevy truck and mazda. so sunday, i guess i will get on it. hopefully early in the morning or something so to make sure to get all the stuff finished. he said instead of buying new calipers we can rebuild them, and thats way cheaper i already know. i can get the rotors turned for about $6 each, thats better than most places, but my uncle knows where to do that. no need to neglect the back brakes. im willing to bet that they are original ones. also i may need to check out the cylinder thingy for the drums, easy i hope. so, im hoping that this isnt going to be a shit load of money. hopefully less than $150 for everything? ah, if its more it will still be worth it, because brake are quite a necessity! and i had said that i would fix up the brakes before i start work motorwise, for performance. so, i'll have to see how this goes.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Sedan
    see if your uncle has any tips on getting the rotors off. i can't seem to take the two phillips screws out. i have the right size screwdriver, but it keeps on slipping, and i'm afraid if i do it more, its going to strip.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    go buy an extractor or impact wrench and use lots of pb blaster.
    Don't have to worry since those screws just keep the disk in place. You can do without.

Well when I did my brakes it was about 200 for new rotors and pads for all brakes, then I had the work done by a friend.

The rear brake cylinders are about another 100 if you have them installed by the shop... and less than half that if you buy it and do it yourself.

So I would say about 150 for you to get your brakes done.

Vehicle
    1989 240sx FB,
    I spent $22 for each rotor from nopi, then another 35 at autozone for some carbon metallic pads. I bought calipers from Honda so they were about 160 (80 per, if I remember correctly...might have been more). Then it was just a matter of swapping parts and bleeding the brakes. And those philips screws were a pain to get out!

Alex

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Just tap the screw

With the screw driver in the screw head apply counter clockwise tension and just start to tap on the end of the screw driver handle this should allow the seal to brake. yes a impack driver will work well if you happen to have one $6.99 through www.harborfreight.com
    Hope this helps, LOL
    Phil

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    well, if y'all didnt figure it out, i didnt get to do the brake job. my uncle got sick or some lame shit like that. i dont buy it, i think he was really tired, but i didnt talk to him, my aunt called before i was going to go over there. anyway, he said maybe next weekend. and for those prices y'all listed, thats why i'm going to rebuild the calipers and brake cylinders. it will take more time but its worth the money saved. i dont think i will need the back ones done up, just the shoes changed out, but the front really should be done because they stick sometimes. and this time for my pads, i'll spend the extra money and get something that doesnt dust so damn much!
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap