Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PROJECT, 4G ALTERNATOR / 4G HEATER CONTROLS

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike's89AccordLX
    Smufguy you could just buy my heater controls for cheap and then take those knobs. They're in great shape and the price is fairly cheap too.
    Mike, the acura and honda knobs are different in the back. The acura ones are circular, but the honda ones have a flat notch on the top.

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    Ahh.... I didn't know that.

Vehicle
    lookin
    so the 89 legend does fit for sure? I have the chance of gettin one, if so.

this one right?
    'honda makes people happy'

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    to be honest Low tek, i dont know. U need to get the wiring code for it before u can purchase the unit. MIke got his legend controller and now he is going with the 4th gen accord one like mine cause the wiring is pretty straight forward.

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Tek
    this one right?
    That looks like a digital climate control panel so that wouldnt work with your A/C..

Vehicle
    Yep got my 4G climate controls in finally. The auction said JDM 89 Climate control but I knew it was for the 4th gen since the 89 jdm cars are 90 usdm cars here. But on any note all of the wires and plugins are connected to it still and it is in decent shape. Got it for $9.99 I did a test fit b/c I couldn't wait and put it in but it wouldn't go in all the way since I haven't dremeled anything yet.

I will double check the wires before I start anything.

Vehicle
    Smufguy I have some questions that other people might need to know.

Do we only need to use the 14 wire connector and the 6 wire speed connector? Do we need to do anything with the other connectors? What exactly do we need to sand out to fit in into the dash? (Is it just that entire plastic bracket above where the cd player is? Or is it just part of the plastic bracket?) How does the climate control unit mount into the dash? Do I need to cut off any of the 4 screw hole brackets on the climate control unit? Does it just fit tightly into place and not need any screws?

Here's some pics of my climate control unit and the connectors with wires. And pictured are some extra connectors I'm not sure if I need but they came with the unit.
    Last edited by Mike's89AccordLX; 09-06-2004 at 11:08 AM.

Vehicle
    Another pic of the climate control unit.

Vehicle
    Do I need these connectors?

Vehicle
    Sorry for all the posts but I wanted the pictures to be shown and not linked b/c most people won't take the time to goto the link. Thanks again smufguy. Oh and I was wondering if you know where I could get those 2 little lights on the back of the climate control unit in another color? I was thinking red or blue but I can't seem to get the tiny bulbs out of the little plastic holders. I'm starting to think that I won't be able to pull them out.... I was hoping maybe you got them out somehow and found out what bulbs they were. All I can tell is that they are 14V and 14Watt bulbs.
    Last edited by Mike's89AccordLX; 09-06-2004 at 11:20 AM.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    hey mike, this is what i did for the fan bro. from the 3g fan clip, i removed the wires along with the metal clip still attached to them. To do this, u have to pry out the inside metal clip with a small screwdriver and they look like the regular connector. Match the wire color to the 4g unit and just slip it on.

The wires coming outta the 3g (the male end) cut then all and then use a splice connector or butt connector and match the wire codes to the 4g clip (with wires) and splice the 3g wire to the 4g wire. << you dont need the 3g clips u can throw it away >>

The small bulbs will be hard to remove, but they are possible to pull out. I just switched it out with the bulbs from the gauge cluster i guess. i am not sure.

To help you out more mike, i will take a picture of my wiring tomorrow and post it here for you to see. sorry my explanations are not quite understandable

OH the temperature knob, u need to keep the 4g knob on heat to blow cold air, and cold to blow hot air. Kinda weird, but i have to fix it one day.

Vehicle
    Sounds good I think I kind of understand what you're trying to say. I mainly need to know what to sand out with the dremel. And you said all the wires will match right up except for one red one am I correct?

Thanks,
    Mike

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike's89AccordLX
    Sounds good I think I kind of understand what you're trying to say. I mainly need to know what to sand out with the dremel. And you said all the wires will match right up except for one red one am I correct?

Thanks,
    Mike
    the only wire that will be left out is the wire for the 5th fan speed controller on the 4g. i wanna make my fan blow even more, but i guess its maxed out at the 4th speed.

Once i take a pic of the holder, u will see how it is and what to sand down will be clearly marked. Ill post one tomorrow bro.

Vehicle
    Any pics on the holder for the controls yet? I was just anxious to get my car back together I don't want to rush you though b/c I know how busy people can get and stuff.

-Mike

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    not yet mike. my friend was out of town. But im going there tomorrow to work on my car, ill take some pics then. sorry man. but u know ill get it soon.

Vehicle
    Sounds good. Thanks for helping us out with this mod by the way.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    not a problem man. sorry i could not do it today either. i was just not at his house cause i was busy with my school stuff. But ill see him tomorrow and the day after, so i promise to take a picture then. u will see its not hard at all. Ill take a closer pic of how it looks before i take it off. I just put there now, but i will soon do it perfectly. but sorry to keep u waiting bro.

Vehicle
    Any word yet?

Vehicle
    bump

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline

bolt and Alt installation

CLICK THE PICS TO ENLARGE

here is the bolt you wanna use. Its a 5/8" machine bolt from walmart. It costs only $0.85 or something like that.

This is how the alternator mounting looks like. I used it ghetto way with a big nut, two washers and one lock washer. Any other bolt other than machine bolt, will get bent with tension and will snap. I have had many bolts snap. but this one, has lasted about 4K miles While other lasted about 500 miles.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline

4g Controls Installation

Click the Pics for bigger Version.

Before you start anythign, you need to sand down the stock plastic from the old 3g control location.

1) Full shot

2) Sanded down bottom and top

3) Once this is done, ur good to move to the 4g unit and sand down the top two mounting holes.

4) After this is done, u can move on to the wiring. Just match up the colors like i said and install spade connectors on the fan control leads to make it easier to plug into the female receiver on the 3g wiring harness.

a) position and light wires

b) fan control wires

5) after all this is done. just slide the unit in place and just hold in by scres. The screws are held in bwt the weight of the 4g control itself and the ridge of the 3g dash plastic. No holes need to be drilled and the unit will not pop off.

Final Product

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    sorry about the long overdue Mike. I hope this gives a clear understanding of what u have to do. its nothing hard a dremel and a cylinderical sanding disc cannot do

Vehicle
    It's ok and nice how to man that was pretty damn good. I'm going to have to do the alternator one when I do the efi swap. Have you had any ideas for hiding the gap on the sides and bottom of the 4G unit?

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    not yet, but i think using a mesh grill (the gutter guard) and using bondo would solve the problem and next year, i have to under take it.

But as of now, the gap is not evident at all.

Vehicle
    Now smufguy what do I do with the green wire that goes from the fan control to the other connector? It goes to both connectors for the 4g controls. I got the sanding done in like 4 minutes and the thing looks really sweet in there it just fits like a glove.

Now it's just the wiring left. Now the 4G controls that I have said JDM 89 Accord but that would be the USDM 90 Accord. I doubt the wire colors are different but they might be. Who knows it's probably just a USDM control unit anyways you know how ebay is