Thread: on and off?

LX User

Unhappy on and off?

Hi Everyone. I recently changed my alternator (less than a month ago) and for some reason, this only happens sometimes but - when I signal left or right with the blinkers or when I turn the switch to turn on the wipers, the battery light comes on for the duration of the signal light being on or just during the wiper motion and then turning back off. What can this mean? Thanks everyone.

Vehicle
    2004 Pilot EXL-NAV, 2010 Acura TL, 2013 Accord Coupe V6 Nav/Sat
    Are your headlights on when this happens? If so, turn them off and try it. What it sounds like is a loose or worn alt belt.

LX User
    yes, i think the headlights are on during those times. if not, at least most of the timei would figure. any other possibilities? i called a place and they said it could be a loose alt belt - i guess i am wondering how it can come loose on its own, if it is loose that is

Vehicle
    A new belt can become loose enough to slip under load when it first wears in. An old belt of course will come loose just because it stretches and gets thinner alowing it to go deeper into the pulley. It can become glazed due to wear which will cause it to slip. Here's a simple test. When you get the light to come on again, stop the engine and put a little diswashing soap, the stuff you put in the dishwater, on the alt belt. It will cause the belt to become tacky and grab the pulley better. Start the engine again and try to get the light to come on. if it doesn't it's most likely a loose belt.

LX User
    and if it does slip, i should assume the belt needs replacing? i mean if the light still comes on during right/left signalling or when using wipers, then belt may need replacing?

Vehicle
    1990 Honda Legend LS coupe 1989 EXi 5sp. sedan 1989 LX coupe 1966 S600 coupe 1965 S600 Roadster and a few others
    You should also check your alternaters wiring make sure all wires have good contact.I know your alt is new and your belt looks good

Vehicle
    The belt is most likely loose or worn because the problem happens when it's under load. If you determine that it's loose then tighten it. If it's been a while since you've replaced it then just get a new one. lol