Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: weber on JDM B20a

SEi User

intake

forgot to mention if your worried about airflow you get either an airbox and run cold feed induction straight to it or better and cheaper make upa heat shield around the carbs leave the top open then get a hood scoop put on and that will ram the air straight into the DCOE's faster you go the better!!

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan (RIP), 1989 (same) RIP, 86 Hatch Lx-i, JDM b20a, Gude headpkg, AEM cam gears/cai, thermal xhst, 2.5/3" lowrd tokico/groundctrl, 17" Seneca whls, hypereutectic pistons, .020" over, 13:1 comp
    Yeah... the race shop first got pistons for a b20a5, but the wristpins for our rods are 20mm instead of 21mm, so he had to send them back and get different ones... they're hypereutectic ones made by IPR or IRP, or whatever the company is... the rods are shot-peened and polished, with ARP rod bolts.. the bearings have been professionally massaged and the crank journals redone and the crank turned and polished... I got 9.0:1 instead of 9.5:1 pistons because I already had the; head shaved twice (from blowing head gasket(s)) and had the block decked, and to compensate for the change in compression... also not to go real high, in prep for a turbo sometime.

Thanks for the input though.. I can use a manifold from any b-series motor (since the spacing of the runners is the same), that is workable for the DCOE setup.. we can cut the runners and re-attach them to a a20/b20 intake manifold flange, and cut them at the proper angle for the DCOE carbs to run right... this will be fun I think.

Eep.

I'll figure it out.
    Thank you everyone for the input. When the project gets underway I'll try to have pictures and such to post and let people know where I got things.

peace
    paul

Vehicle
    18 yr old Prelude, the one with the pop up headlamps. B20 (prototype for the 3g Prelude) ...but in the lighter car, with big brakes
    and another which is Civvy's car he breaks them i fix them!!

.....Fix them properly then!!!! :rice: :rofl:

Batty boy :lol:

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Re: weber on JDM B20a

....takes a deep breath......
    BUMP

2ndGenGuy

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    ....takes a deep breath......
    BUMP
    Sounds like roodoo is getting a B20A. :)

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

So, is there a general idea or even any information regarding Weber DCOE performance vs a properly running factory EFI system? With my pending engine swap, I basically wanna know if it's worthwhile scabbing in all the EFI wiring, sensors and additional fuel handling equipment, or if I can make just as much power with a set of properly tuned Weber DCOE's, which have fascinated me since I found out that they existed?

Basically; for A20A3 or B20A, doesn't matter...

1. Can anyone prove that the DCOE's can compare powerwise to the factory EFI system?

2. Will the carbs be cheaper (keep in mind my swap will involve 20+ year old wiring, sensors and computer equipment, and I'm a machinist, I make my own DCOE manifold.)
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

the answer in your question is proved daily by the top drag cars. Carbs are easier to tune, sync, and get up to running than efi anyday. The only thing efi gives you that cannot be had by carbs is adjustable tuning in the rpm bandwidth. That is usually midly compensated by vacuum. Did you send off the axle yet? Thanks guy, Mike

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

everyone knows aftermarket carbs pwn the stock efi. but for us people that have to pay 6 dollars a gallon for our gas efi and its precise workings is good to get max fuel milage

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

the Honda EFI system if very versatile and easily tunable. I would never get a carb setup over an EFi if I was given the choice. If the car isn't EFI from the factory, I know itcan be a pain to convert. It all depends on what you do with the car.

DCOEs will need a slight retune depending on the weather conditions or altitude, something an EI setup won't

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

if your old school you might like carb better but now with all this technology you can make anything perform...i love how i can just plug in a laptop to my car and see how its running. plus your can tune the ecu for street and at the track you can tune it for high rpm use.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I think the carbs would give more usable power. The down side to them opposed to EFI would be a good tune in most all conditions, where the carbs you have to tune to certain conditions. A good thing to even the two up would be crank fired ignition (timing map programed and incorporated MAP sensor) with a few different timing maps programed in. I think any Weber will be finicky from one day to the next depending on temperature.
    Don't forget the other multiple carb set ups, flat sides, SU's, heck even Holleys have metering blocks now that can be tuned into a small displacement powerplant. True the sidedrafts would be directly "injected" LOL

Another way to compensate would be metered propane auxilerys...(evil snicker)

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Ha, propane and 14:1 compression.

I know that all else being equal, an EFI system should theoretically produce more power as it doesn't rely on an air restriction (venturi and boosters) to draw in fuel. EFI should be able to run at 0 manifold absolute pressure (maximum possible flow) and still make power, while a carb system needs the restriction and resulting pressure difference to make power. The end result of this situation is that the EFI system can ultimately flow more air while still adding the proper amount of fuel, and thus make more power.

I was simply curious if there were any significant known induction advantages to the Weber DCOE system versus the factory dual runner EFI intake.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle

Somebody want to answer this?
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

DCOE would be much more responsive, but would leave more emissions. Emmisions being the primary reason for widespread develpment of EFI.
    IMO> Highest horsepower is not always the product of ideal stioch
    IMO> the physics of having more fuel accessable in the general area, as with DCOE, it would seem a no brainer deciding which induction system is stronger.
    As for refering to booster venturis as "restrictions" I disagree with the term usage, orifice would fit better. BV 's are like a straw and a tongue that bring the fuel food into the mouth at the rate most suitable for the throat. lol

The word arrangment of your question makes it hard to approach so only scientific data would safely answer it. If someone were to, ah hem clearing throat, make a half dozen DCOE manifolds that could be used on A or B20A, we would be able to proceed with proper subjects for gathering the data.

there are plenty of opinions on the quesiton in the following threads.
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64365
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...fuel+injection
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 06-22-2008 at 03:17 AM.