Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Absolutely no idle... Help fast please!!

DX User
    Vehicle
    Honda Accord 88 Dx, Honda CRX 86 Dx
    Henderson (Right outside of Las VeGaS), Nevada

Absolutely no idle... Help fast please!!

Hey guys.. i've done a seach and couldn't find anything related to my problem... well, my car won't idle anymore.. like one day it was fine, the next, pretty much dead... the car starts and if i ride the gas then i can keep the car alive... my car is manual, so whenever i push in the clutch the car dies if i don't shift fast enough... i really need help, if you guys have any ideas post... anything will help at this point

Mykii!

Vehicle
    87 LX
    Do you have a Carb (DX,LX) or PGMFI (LXi, SEi)?
    ------------------

DX User
    Vehicle
    its a carb dx... 88

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Vaccum leaks.

This is the first thing that I would check, personally I would replace all vaccum line right off.
    Then I'd look to the Carb itself.
    I don't have a carb, but there are alot of guys here who do.
    Hope this helps some.
    NSWST8

1988starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykii
    its a carb dx... 88

Get some carb spray cleaner and give it a good spray along with checking for broken vacume lines

DX User
    Vehicle
    i checked all that earlier, vacuum lines and all, but how can i tell exactly which one it is and stuff... none of the lines are cracked... i forgot to mention that one of the circle things (i guess one of those things that look like an old school ufo thing) was going bad (or so i was told) the carb itself leaks gas out of one point (i don't know the name).... so do you think that whatever this circle thing is might be the actuall problem?

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

ether

The base gasket to your carb could be gone.
    I do believe your sucking air.
    NSWST8

DX User
    Vehicle
    sucking air?... hmmm how much is the gasket and where can i get one? also, well, it runs fine besides the fact that it doesn't idle... i still have some pretty good power when it runs...

Vehicle
    87 LX
    Its called the carb base to manifold gasket. Its about 5 bucks at any parts store.
    ------------------

DX User
    Vehicle
    so do you really think thats it? also, is it hard to replace? i mean is it hard to take off the carb?

Vehicle
    '73 Datsun 240Z/'91 300ZXTT
    It sounds like you are somewhat new to repairing cars on your own. If that is true, and you need your car running fast, just take it to your local mechanic. he should be able to track down the problem and fix it for you in no time. If it is just the carb gasket then it shouldn't be expensive either. It might not be that though, so rather than have you trying to replace it yourself and ending up spending your money and time and it turning out to be something else anyway, I'd just turn it over to a pro for the afternoon.
    KaMi's 1988 Honda Accord LX-I 5-Spd Hatch
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

DX User
    Vehicle
    Yea, i'm pretty much new.. well at least to carbs and all their lines... i think thats the best bet, i found out that i have a bud who is a mechie so i'll probably bring it to him... but i have a feeling that its gonna be expensive.... i'm scared lol.... thanks guys, but if yall still have any more ideas, keep em comin!

Mykii

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord EX 4dr automatic
    Check vacuum line to PCV. It's a thicker vacuum line than the other vacuum line right in front of air cleaner pan above valve cover. It loops up and then down and is short. Pinch with needle nose vise-grips and see if car idles. If so change PCV. A liitle hard to reach but doable. Ask soeone familiar where it is. Honda brand (spring flapper)$20. Aftermarket 9check ball type)$5. Goodluck, Mike

Vehicle
    87' dx sedan/88' lxi hatch
    change all of the vacuume lines that you can. they are cheep and it is easy to do. that will save you a lot of trouble now and in the future.
    Who need wenches when ya got a shiny set of wrenches?

Grease Monkey forever!!

DX User
    Vehicle
    I'm probably going to just replace my carb with a weber... hopefully soon, its really killing me... i gotta hit the brake and the gas at the same time while i slow down in order to keep my car alive... besides that, the car is fine... oh yea... and my gas milage is going down.... 23 mpg on the freeway.... sucks lots... i just really hope that the carb will fix it...

Vehicle
    89 Accord 4DR Manual DX, 01 Hyundai Elantra
    Hmm. I had a problem like this and it was actually my ignition. I cleaned the hell out of my carb, changed my plugs and wires, checked all kinds of things, had my car to the shop three times and it was the stupid, stupid ignition.
    Fiddling with a worn-looking but tough 89 DX 4DR 5 Speed, when I'm not working on the NIN Hotline..

In Search Of: Passenger Side Rear View Mirror Plastic, Honda Steering Wheel emblem.

DX User
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant
    Hmm. I had a problem like this and it was actually my ignition. I cleaned the hell out of my carb, changed my plugs and wires, checked all kinds of things, had my car to the shop three times and it was the stupid, stupid ignition.
    Maybe... how much does that cost?

Vehicle
    Well, mine was free, because the guy who sold me the Accord works for the dealership, and offered to hook me up since the last three times he wasn't able to trace the problem correctly. Haing said that, it would have to be less than $50, easy. I think they had to replace or clean out some plastic cylinder.
    Fiddling with a worn-looking but tough 89 DX 4DR 5 Speed, when I'm not working on the NIN Hotline..

In Search Of: Passenger Side Rear View Mirror Plastic, Honda Steering Wheel emblem.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    2007 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant
    wait a second... you mean the ignition ignition? or do you mean the ignition coil, or the ignition switch, or the ignitor?

Vehicle
    Oh, I guess I should specify that huh. It was just the ignition switch.

if it runs fine but just won't idle then it's 1 of 2 things.

if it's rough shutting off then it's 99% sure a vacuum leak, probably a hose.

If it just revs down and shuts off (like with the key) then check the slow mix solenoid on the back of the carb. If the wire gets disconnected/ripped off the carb can't keep the car idling, it's the weirdest crap
    (it's a brass cylinder with 1 wire on the rear, about 2 inch tall, there should be 12V at the wire with the key in the "on" position
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

DX User

blocked idle passage

Had the same problem. The idle passage has crud in it, but it is easy to fix. On the rear of the carb, find the idle control solenoid. It is a little brass cylinder held in with a 8mm hex head bolt. Take it out, and blow compressed air into the carb through the hole. You can use carb cleaner, too, but I had to use compressed air. take care not to damage the o ring. No, you will not damage anything in the carb with compressed air. This is a trick given to me about 10 years ago by a mechanic at a Honda dealer in Sheridan WY
    Good Luck
    Mike

DX User
    Vehicle
    hmm... idle passage eh? if you guys had pics, it'd be easier... but.... i'm hopefully getting my weber in the mail tomorrow... YAY weber!!! i just hope that solves the whole problem.... ya know? anyway, i'm still a newbie, need pics or something... i suck... also on the idle mixture screw - which way is what? left is mixing more of what?

LXi User
    Vehicle
    2007 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by mikespur
    Had the same problem. The idle passage has crud in it, but it is easy to fix. On the rear of the carb, find the idle control solenoid. It is a little brass cylinder held in with a 8mm hex head bolt. Take it out, and blow compressed air into the carb through the hole. You can use carb cleaner, too, but I had to use compressed air. take care not to damage the o ring. No, you will not damage anything in the carb with compressed air. This is a trick given to me about 10 years ago by a mechanic at a Honda dealer in Sheridan WY
    Good Luck
    Mike
    Idle control solenoid? man... if you could take some pics or find a diagram showing where that is on the carb, I would REALLY appreciate it. thanks.

Vehicle
    Carbed 1987 Honda Accord LX & Black 4th gen Accord (91)
    I have the same problem.
    I'm getting a used distributor from Y3G! (Hey man)
    I'm pretty certain that the bearings are gone in yours.
    Did the rpms fluctuate sometimes?
    If they didn't, then check your ignition coil.

-Mike from Sarnia!
    Mike's Clean Cnd A20A2 5 spd Champaigne Beige Sedan Accord, Eh!
    B-Day: 07/87 in Alliston, ON Canada

---------------------------------------------------------------
    The best mods are mods that can be modded over and over again.