Thread: i completed the blue led Dash project

Vehicle
    89 LX-i 5 speed

i completed the blue led Dash project

yes yes, my whole dashboard has blue leds in it, not a single bit ugly "stock" green except for the clock because it is illuminated by gas

people were asking about how it works and if it works and it works fine

use a 470OHM resistor per led installed to connected to the positive lead on the led, you of course also need to find out for each installation of leds which lead is positive and negative on the circuit board in which the led is going to be installed (incadescents dont care about + or -)

i ended up using 3mm blue leds i found on ebay this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=32720

works extremely well and has very high output and is cheap as hell!

i went over each led with sandpaper a bit so the light would be more diffused coming out of the "text holes" on the dash

next just solder each led wiht the current limiting resistor on the + side of the led onto the + part of the board and solder the negative part onto the negative part of the board (you will of course need a multimeter to determine which side is + and negative on the board)

make sure to not hold the solder on there too long or you may burn the led out, this has NEVER been a problem for me, i havent had it happen in all my days of leds but i have heard people complain about it happening sometimes

i would suggest working on the cruise control, and the headlights up/dimmer/rear defroster switches first as they are rediclously easy to get out and practice on (screw driver for the 3 cluster, and just push it out wiht your hand on the cruise control from inside that little fuse access slot underneath it)

well hope you guys have fun, i do have some suggestions for doing the climate control part of it but ill tell yall them when the time comes if anyone plans on doing it all, i would really suggest getting 3mm leds though instead of 5mm, the ones i showed worked perfectly for me!

let me know if anyone has any questions!
    Check out pictures of my car HERE
    "drop a 150 shot of NOS sticker on that bad boy and you can run 8s" -portugalfocus

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89
    Sweet but we gotta have pictures!

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Of course, as I found when I repaced my D4 indicator with a "super bright" LED, you know that when you go LED you lose the ability to dim the lights. May be no big deal as I have always run my dash lighting on full brightness, but it might make a difference to those that like the ability to use the dimmer.

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    man, LEDs are getting popular. my friend just put about 250 LEDs in his roof, covered with black cloth, and hooked it up to his door light switch, so that's his interior now. it looks sooooo sweet. i'll get pics if anyone wants to see.
    also, he's got about 1000 LEDs to place under his car for a complete looking under-carraige glow. sounds like it'll be cool too.
    www.stein-photo.com
    born to XLR8

Vehicle
    89 LX-i 5 speed
    wow that must have taken forever to do!! heh, yeah i can get some pictures too ill post em either today or tomorrow!
    "drop a 150 shot of NOS sticker on that bad boy and you can run 8s" -portugalfocus

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 accord lx carbed
    im doin mine next sweet!
    "i dont have friends anymore and my favorite hangout is the junkyard but damn it runs good"..... by me. "i know i have not gotten laid in a while but trust me the blisters on my hands are from working on my car"...........by me.

Vehicle
    2004 Pilot EXL-NAV, 2010 Acura TL, 2013 Accord Coupe V6 Nav/Sat
    Johnwc723, What voltage did you measure at the socket when you sized your resistor? Did you measure the voltage when the dimmer was at it's dimmest?

Vehicle
    89 LX-i 5 speed
    when the car was off and the dimmer was on full it was about 11v when the car was on it was about 13v, with the resistors on it it reduces it to about 3.3v i think when the car is running, i have been running many other leds like this and no problems yet..

Vehicle
    2004 Pilot EXL-NAV, 2010 Acura TL, 2013 Accord Coupe V6 Nav/Sat
    I was curious what voltage Honda used for the dash bulbs. If you use a 640 ohm resistor to limit the current to 15 milliamps you may be able to have more dimming capability. I may try an experiment with this.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 accord lx carbed
    do you guys bypass the dimmer so theres no mishaps with other people messing with it or what cause i could see it now my little neice hops in there and goes huh whats this do and blam all my hard work shot to shit.
    "i dont have friends anymore and my favorite hangout is the junkyard but damn it runs good"..... by me. "i know i have not gotten laid in a while but trust me the blisters on my hands are from working on my car"...........by me.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord DX
    got the pics?

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord DX
    nm, saw them on your gallery. NJ. Looks VERY blue and bright!

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    Quote Originally Posted by DBMaster
    Of course, as I found when I repaced my D4 indicator with a "super bright" LED, you know that when you go LED you lose the ability to dim the lights. May be no big deal as I have always run my dash lighting on full brightness, but it might make a difference to those that like the ability to use the dimmer.
    I installed LEDs in the temp/fan control panel, and the A/C button, and they react to the dimmer switch just like the other lights in the car. Maybe just some LEDs don't dim?
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 accord lx carbed
    i realy cant see the dashlights over those cold cathodes it doesnt even look like you changed any of them. turn the cathodes off assuming you have a switch and take a pic of the dash i thought you said you did all the dash lights i clearly see a red light in your gauge cluster . lol

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 accord lx carbed
    back on the subject has any one figured out how to keep all dimming capability? if so what was the size resister you used? where did you get them? and any other tips you may have . i just got new lightup pedals and want to do the dash soon.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX
    I just bought the leds with resistors already soldered on ebay.

My 1989 LX Carb. A.K.A. "Hoop Ride" (R.I.P.)

Vehicle
    92 EG6 SiRII
    lets see some damn pics.
    89 accord lxi - Blown head/towed away forever! I MISS YOU!
    91 Civic Hatch - Gone
    92 Civic Hatch - The Daily Driver

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX
    tomorrow i will post em

My 1989 LX Carb. A.K.A. "Hoop Ride" (R.I.P.)

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 accord lx carbed
    well im the kind of guy that lets someone else test the water before i jump in. so im waiting for soljaboy to hook his up and let us know.so what were the ones you got what size resister did they have and were you able to keep dimmer?also has anyone done this with uv's or is everyone just doing blue.i got blue lightup pedals and my stereos blue but im curious about the blacklight ones. 89accordlx rus where did you get yours what were they.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX
    ****posted in wrong section ****
    Last edited by soljaboy2000; 04-04-2004 at 08:13 PM.