Thread: Engine almost dies when I come to a stop?

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer

Exclamation Engine almost dies when I come to a stop?

Ok, when ever I come to a quicker stop than normal my engine's RPMS dip almost to zero come back up and then do it again before going back to normal, somtimes the will only dip once other times it could be 3 or 4 times. It seems like it 's only doing it when I have half a tank of gas or less, but that could just be a coincidence. Any ideas?

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX Hatchback

Re: Engine almost dies when I come to a stop?

Originally posted by HostileJava
    Ok, when ever I come to a quicker stop than normal my engine's RPMS dip almost to zero come back up and then do it again before going back to normal, somtimes the will only dip once other times it could be 3 or 4 times. It seems like it 's only doing it when I have half a tank of gas or less, but that could just be a coincidence. Any ideas?
    My car did this a few weeks ago, but it was kinda out of the blue. I had to get it towed home. That weekend I just did the normal tune up shit and now it runs better than it ever has. Better than when I bought it.
    86 accord dx wrecked

Vehicle
    Please list what you did so I can try that, thanx.

1988starter

Check the gasket on your gas cap I think our systems should be presureised and is the gasket goes it will hurt peformance

Vehicle
    I don't think I have the original gas cap would that make a difference.

Vehicle
    Please list what you did so I can try that, thanx.
    All I did was fuel filters, air filter, oil and oil filter, spark plugs and wires, cap and rotor too. You may not need to do all of that but it sure as hell wont hurt it. I never heard of the gas cap causing this but shit,...get a new one. If your carbed use some carb cleaner can't hurt either. Coil almost forgot, you may want to get a new coil....thats about all I can think of when I do a tune up...there may be some other things to check hopefully others on the board can help you out more than I can. Good luck.
    86 accord dx wrecked

Vehicle
    Well I just recently replaced my Fuel Filter, Oil, Oil Filter, Airfilter, Plugs, and Wires, so I guess that Leaves cap and rotor. Do you think that would make a difference.

Vehicle
    88 LX 5-speed Sedan
    It's easy to check. Two screws and it comes off. Look for wear inside the cap at the contacts and top button, and on the rotor contacts. It would be obvious.

Vehicle
    Well, I just tried a new gas cap and that didn't help so I filled my tank up and that solved it for now, I'm sure the rotor and cap do need replacing but I don't think that's what my problem is since it was doing it all day until I filled the tank up and then it went away.

Vehicle
    Anybody have any other ideas?

Vehicle
    Flush out your gas tank maybe? I don't know...what about vac. leaks?
    86 accord dx wrecked

Vehicle
    I flushed my tank about a month ago when I thought I had water in it.

Vehicle
    Maybe try getting a diognostic test done to see what it is. Yet it could be something easy. I'm not a wrech god like so many other here,...at this point I myself would have to look to a profesional.
    86 accord dx wrecked

Vehicle
    Well it's not a big deal, I can just make sure my tank is always half full but I was hoping someone here had it happen and could tell me what was wrong.

James

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 accord lxi
    could be your fuel pump or fuel relay, id bet on the pump, i foreget why, but when they start to go they work with a full tank and not with like half or lower. dont bet your life on this or anything, just a thought. fuel pumps are expensive so id ask some of the more experianced members before checking that out.

peace and good luck

fussell

Vehicle
    86 Accord LX, carb, AT
    Check the fuel pressure first, there is a regulator (I think) on LXi..

LX User
    It could be a improperly installed fuel pump. Only sucks gas at a certain level. Hondas don't require dropping fuel tank like most other rides. You must hook up a fuel pessure gauge to it and see if it drops when this happens.

Vehicle
    Well it was just at the Dealership for another problem and they put a new regulator on it. I was thinking it might be the fuel pump also(hoping it's not though) because the more fuel in the tank the less the fuel pump has to work to get it to my injectors right(more fuel, more pressure).

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord LX

I am having this same problem. I was searching through the fuel threads by search. I found this thread and it seems to me that I am having this same problem. It seems when i am at half a tank, that my idle seems to drop when coming to a hard stop. I have done a stage 1 vac removal but, I believe that I am having a either a fuel pump problem, or a carb problem with the vac lines leaking somewhere or the idle is not quite set right. I will try to check my idle again this weekend. It will be hard for me to check the fuel pump for a few weeks. I am moving and have too much to do this weekend to get at it right now. I have changed the fuel filters, plugs, wires and checked the cap and rotor. All of that is good, but might think that the fuel pump is starting to go. Don't hear any noise from it, but I do know that my float is set correctly. Even thought of leaning it out some. Will have to check it. Might have to replace the screen first and try that. Is there some way that I can check the pump for elec. service and/or the fuel pressure w/o replacing it for the time being. Sort of benchmarking it. Any help with this issue would be appreciated.
    Brewing since 2000!

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

wow , old thread but thats cool
    The sock filter inside the tank with the fuel pump (pickup) can get varnishy and restrictive. Thankfully these cars have easy access to fuel pump from the top through access panel. In your case where you know the carb float level is not right that would be the first thing I would check cuz that would definatley cause those symptoms...