Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MODIFICATION , AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION ( Torque Convertor / Shifting / Racing )

Vehicle
    18 yr old Prelude, the one with the pop up headlamps. B20 (prototype for the 3g Prelude) ...but in the lighter car, with big brakes
    U've lived man.ha,ha I like that! = holding it in your hand. But, there's no adjustment on the kickdown cable? is there?

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    what do you mean no adjustment

Here is the TV Cable Bracket and The Tranny Filler cap / Dipstick .

Here is a close up of the 2 12mm adjustment nuts.

Here is the Naked Shifter.

The locking pin is in the upper right hand corner... I don't have all the shifter components installed... you're only worried abbout removing the locking pin, don't remove anything else, only enough to gain access to the locking pin and cable adjuster.

if you remove the pin that holds the cable to the shifter lever inside the car, you can push the cable into park... park is the very top selection for the cable. now with the cable in park, move the shift lever into the reverse slot... now pull the cable so back towards the shifter... twist the brown adjustment peice till the holes in the cable match the holes in the shift lever, reinsert the locking pin.
    Last edited by A20A1; 01-10-2005 at 12:16 PM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    18 yr old Prelude, the one with the pop up headlamps. B20 (prototype for the 3g Prelude) ...but in the lighter car, with big brakes
    The end of the kick down cable is the same as a clutch cable!?

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    The cable end has a ball that fists inside a lever... above that are the adjustment nuts just like the throttle cable has.
    - llia

Vehicle
    i'll have a look at my dads when i'm up there then, but im sure it was fixed on mine.
    Ha,ha i guess by the pics i've jst noticed its daylight over there!!? its 05:39 here pitch black outside and i'm at work! he,he
    Last edited by Civvy; 09-17-2004 at 08:43 PM.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    those pics are old... I didn't just take them.
    - llia

if you want to hold first I suggest you start looking into the test ports on the tranny as possible locations for mounting solenoids to control flow (on/off) or manual valves of some sort. If you can find one for the 1-2 shift (I can't remember if it's there) or the governer valve you can do something.,.. also maybe puting some kind of motor assembly or something that basically extends off the tv bracket and you attatch the cable to the moving end if you lengthen it oyu get a softer shift profile and if you shorten it hold it more. etc etrc etc... I took the trans apart I doubt you are going to get anywhere with looking for an extra "D1" position, Honda probably would have added it to the lever if it was in there. Since it is all hydraulic control I 99% doubt it. Hey look, Honda actually put a 5th gear just never added it to the selector! :b

Dude if you want I can ship you a valvebody and we can brainstorm on how to mod it based on the paths... I have a good idea of what everything (valves) in there does but the valvebody has like 2 miles of channels!
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    well I was trying to get it to hold the gear to 7,500 but even at the greatest TV adjustment you get about 6,800.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i sedan

performance torque converter mod

For those of us with automatics, I found this company. They work on your core torque converter or sell you a new one, according to their site. Cost is between $350 and $1,100. I'm going to call them and see what they can do for the 3g.

From Hondatuning:
    JMO modifies the various blades and vanes inside the torque converter to improve the efficiency of this fluid transfer. It also modifies the blades of the stator to more efficiently return fluid to the pump side of the converter.

The exact specifications on what JMO does to the converter are a closely kept trade secret. But we can tell you the mods work as advertised, quickening shifts, improving fuel economy, and raising the stall speed.

http://www.jmousa.com/us/flash/frame/

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    thats pretty interesting and also cool. A racing auto tranny is awsome for a drag strip cause no one can shift as fast as an auto tranny. did they give u a price for how much a torque converter would cost which can hold up to 200 ft-lbs? but 1100 bux seems a lot. we can get a 450ft-lbs clutch and a 5spd conversion for around 600 bux tops.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    i have a friend who had the TC in his 5th gen re-worked by some shop in Las Vegas. That thing was pretty quick!
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    There is also LEVEL10
    - llia

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 ACCORD

torque convertors

I took the toque covertor out of my lids accord and took it to a torque convertor shop. 175.00 later we had stall plus locked up alot harder. Dont spend more than 300.00 to get a convertor for the 3g unless you are a drag race, for street racing, lightning the convertor, opening up and brazing up fins make a worl of differenc

Little hint as well, we also had the shift solonoids redrilled and the valve body worked in the trans, total cost 542.00 for everything. Also you can try this we are going to . in our dirt cars we run a hollow torque convertor, no fluid no parts inside. I know what you are thinking that would be like direct drive right. well a good trand guy can drill a bypass hole in the valve body that will let you start the car and sit in gear as though you had a convertor that worked. Just an idea...
    89 Accord 2.0 FI
    .060 over,.045 off head, Ported, polished, gude cam, pacesetter header, catback exhaust, accel inj, cold air intake, bored,polished TB, ported, polished intake, 75 shot NOS

3 inche drop
    17" KONIS
    custom hood

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Interesting mod. thanks for the info.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6
    it interests me. i want to have a turboed a20 but don't think i actually want to have a manny tranny.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    a big problem with these transmissions is that they seem weak themselves.

jrmini, did you have anything else in the trans reworked? better clutches or anything?

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord DX coupe, 1989 Accord LX coupe, 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier coupe, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX STI

automatic

can any 5 or 6 speed automatics be bolted to the engine. I wish the new Mercedes or Chrysler 6 speed automatics could.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord DX coupe, 1989 Accord LX coupe, 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier coupe, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    I want a 5 or 6 speed automatic

Vehicle
    a 7-speed auto would be nice.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    i think automatics do have an overdrive gear. I have heard of a shop (dont know the name or its location) which does 5spd to 6spd, or 4spd to 5spd conversions. Basically, they make the automatic overdrive gear as a manual overdrive gear, which becomes your top gear. So whoever has a 4spd with an overdrive gear, will end up with a 5spd tranny and those with 5spd and a overdrive gear will end up with a 6spd tranny. Does it all matter, fuck no. it only matters if ur in rally, cause any drag race or what not, with atleast 400hp on the motor, first four or three gears is all we will have to use for the 1/4 mile. increase the rev limit and it all falls into place.

PS: yeah, thats why i dont understand why you guys are dying for a 6spd tranny and 7spd trannies. For example, the evo and sti run around 13.5s average in the quarter, but the evo is a 5spd and the sti is a 6 spd, and the sti has higher gear ratios than the evo, so its a combination of the engine power out put, power band, and the rev limit.

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by smufguy
    i think automatics do have an overdrive gear. I have heard of a shop (dont know the name or its location) which does 5spd to 6spd, or 4spd to 5spd conversions. Basically, they make the automatic overdrive gear as a manual overdrive gear, which becomes your top gear. So whoever has a 4spd with an overdrive gear, will end up with a 5spd tranny and those with 5spd and a overdrive gear will end up with a 6spd tranny. Does it all matter, fuck no. it only matters if ur in rally, cause any drag race or what not, with atleast 400hp on the motor, first four or three gears is all we will have to use for the 1/4 mile. increase the rev limit and it all falls into place.
    then i wonder if they couldn't make my overdrive gear a fifth and add another gear as overdrive.

PS: yeah, thats why i dont understand why you guys are dying for a 6spd tranny and 7spd trannies. For example, the evo and sti run around 13.5s average in the quarter, but the evo is a 5spd and the sti is a 6 spd, and the sti has higher gear ratios than the evo, so its a combination of the engine power out put, power band, and the rev limit.
    except the evo mr. it has a 6-speed. but i think the numbers are still pretty much the same anyway.