Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: MODIFICATION , THROTTLE BODY ( 4G Accord / Ford 65mm + B16 Manifold / TB Spacer )

1988starter

Post MODIFICATION , THROTTLE BODY ( 4G Accord / Ford 65mm + B16 Manifold / TB Spacer )

PORTING STOCK TB / OVERBORE 4G TB

Well I gave it a shot and bored out the TB I felt some defante gains and will probably experiment with another soon to see the max I can go. Right now this brings the mods list to (not including appearance)

Bomz /AEM custom CAI K&N Filter
    MSD 6Al
    Accel 14001 Super Coil
    Magnecor Wires
    NGK Irridium IX Plugs
    Colt Cams Triflow Cam
    (Specs)
    Duration/lift:
    Intake 1 260/384
    Intake 2 270/384
    Exhaust 274/402
    DC Sports Headers 4-2-1
    Highflow cat
    2.25 Dynomax mandrel exhaust
    Cosmo Racing FPR
    High Flow Fuel injectors.
    Bored Throttle Body
    Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
    Hyper ground made with monster XL wire.
    92 Civic strut bar custom fitted
    Last edited by A20A1; 08-13-2004 at 07:03 PM.

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    Sweet I can't wait to get my custom intake manifold done for my Weber. I've been working on it every now and then at school with their spendy alluminum de-burring bits

Vehicle
    A20A3T
    Have u ever ran it?Do u know how much hp ur putting down.
    Stop bench racing and pick up a wrench

I know my spelling sucks and I suck with computers deal with it.

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    Who are you talking to?

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Starter I believe.
    - llia

1988starter
    no I have never ran it or dynoed it I would love to. All I know is every one who rides in it is very impressed with it's ability

and A20A1 I love the tequila kitty avitar

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i coupe
    I'll agree, it definitely helps. Not an extreme amount, but you can feel the increase after the bore/polish is done.
    My collection: Stay tuned! (04/02/2009)

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
    glorious!

imagine a beowulf cluster of tho... oh wait... its sabz. how is the beowulf cluster of myth boxen treating you?

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    So what do you guys use to polish it. I have mine pretty smooth but not with the polished finish.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i coupe
    Originally posted by Justin86
    So what do you guys use to polish it. I have mine pretty smooth but not with the polished finish.
    Dremel. Got all kinds of attachments for it

glorious!

imagine a beowulf cluster of tho... oh wait... its sabz. how is the beowulf cluster of myth boxen treating you?

LX User
    Vehicle
    86 LUUUDE
    and the bore, do you do it before and after the butterfly?i did mine but i think i can go bigger yet.... what size did you go to?

1988starter
    yes before and after I stopped around 63mm It was a bit of an experiment I am probably going to try more after the intersesion

Vehicle
    Well I used the dremel bits on my dril press but I can't find any bits that will produce the polished look. I'm pretty close with using fine sadpaper but you can still see little scratches all over it.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SE-i coupe
    Originally posted by Justin86
    Well I used the dremel bits on my dril press but I can't find any bits that will produce the polished look. I'm pretty close with using fine sadpaper but you can still see little scratches all over it.
    You need a wire brush, polishing stone, felt polish discs, the polish compound and a lot of elbow grease.

glorious!

Vehicle
    If I can just find that stuff.

1988starter
    look in almost any hardware store

Vehicle
    That is where I looked and they just had the bacis bits, I should check to see if they can order me the bits

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    hey u bored it out to 63mm on the intake side on the manifold side or what?

that reply seemed like u did both sides, but what did u do with the butterfly then? or did it look like >-<

1988starter
    currently the butterfly is the same I am waiting untill I have more time to get a new one

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1990 Honda Accord Ex 5spd.
    i tried doing something similar to that. I dont see how you measured it... how did you any way did you have a micrometer? Also my throttle has been sticking after i took it off any clues?
    "If you were paying attention DANIEL you'd know the Nintendo's pass threw everything!"
    - Col Jack O'Neal - Stargate sg-1.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord 2.0i-16 DOHC (RIP)
    Boring the throttle body on a stock or almost stock Honda engine seems to be a wasted time.

Here's a quote from "How To Build Honda Horsepower, Dyno-Verified Results" by Richard Holdener.
    ---
    "The stock throttle body from a B16A motor flows almost 600 cfm. To give you an idea how good the stock throttle body is, that amount of airflow will support right near 400hp.
    Sometimes, bigger throttle bodies do add power, but the increase is generally small and the motor in question needs to be really healthy. Your stock D16Z, or even a high-winding B16A, will not likely benefit from the installation of a larger throttle body. How do I know? Dyno tests were run on both motors comparing stock and over-sized (64.5 mm) throttle bodies with no measurable change in power."
    It's not the type of car you drive... it's the size of the arm hanging out of the window.

Honda Accord 2.0i-16 B20A2 (R.I.P)

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    Quote Originally Posted by foobari
    Boring the throttle body on a stock or almost stock Honda engine seems to be a wasted time.

Here's a quote from "How To Build Honda Horsepower, Dyno-Verified Results" by Richard Holdener.
    ---
    "The stock throttle body from a B16A motor flows almost 600 cfm. To give you an idea how good the stock throttle body is, that amount of airflow will support right near 400hp.
    Sometimes, bigger throttle bodies do add power, but the increase is generally small and the motor in question needs to be really healthy. Your stock D16Z, or even a high-winding B16A, will not likely benefit from the installation of a larger throttle body. How do I know? Dyno tests were run on both motors comparing stock and over-sized (64.5 mm) throttle bodies with no measurable change in power."

i think you are wrong. i don't know how you do your dyno runs around there, but here in the US. even slight overbore will give you increase in power.
    if you read sport compact, import tunner, turbo & high performance or honda tunning they all recomend bigger throttle body for stock engine as one of the easiest way to pick up a few HP at middle and upper RPM range. i agree the power gains are small but they are there.
    i think the last time sport compact magazine did dyno run with bigger TB they gained about 3-4 hp at upper band on B16 motor.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by shepherd79
    i think you are wrong. i don't know how you do your dyno runs around there, but here in the US. even slight overbore will give you increase in power.
    I'm not saying that boring the TB does nothing, I was just quoting the book By Richard Holdener, who BTW does all his dynoing on DynoJet machines in the US.

In the book he states on several occasion, that according to his dyno tests, boring the TB on stock motor yielded no (significant) power gains. The best numbers seem to be on a B20/B16A Hybrid (200hp to the wheels), where he got max +2.8hp with a bigger RC Engineeing throttle body, and a Supercharged D16Z 1.6 VTEC (153hp to the wheels) where the bigger Holley Throttle Body gave out huge 6.1hp.

So ok, I guess I was too prompt with my "waste of time" comment. If you have en engine with mods on it, at least it won't hurt you to bore the TB out.
    It's not the type of car you drive... it's the size of the arm hanging out of the window.

Vehicle
    95 SUNFIRE / 300zx turbo
    ok here is the deal if you bore out your throttle body you will see gains of around 2 to 15 hp nothing to big but for a 3gee every hp helps i dosent matter if it is 1 hp or 20 its not a old street rod its a frickin honda so we need all we can get the only thing you will see is a bit more accel thats about it and yes you will get 2 to 15 hp i live 5min. from a race shop they have a dyno we bored a civic si no mods only the thottle body and thats what we got but you should doo it little by little and take your time
    95 sunfire
    90 caravan
    90 crx si

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by stolenracer
    thats about it and yes you will get 2 to 15 hp i live 5min. from a race shop they have a dyno we bored a civic si no mods only the thottle body and thats what we got but you should doo it little by little and take your time
    Ok, sounds really interesting! What do you mean by "2 to 15hp", is this increase measured in one run (like +2hp@3000rpm and +15hp@6000rpm), or do you mean 2 to 15 hp depending on the bore? How did you bore the TB? Did you just bore it (with a sort of venturi), or did you also re-blade it?

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 coupe/ 06 TL 6spd
    hey sweet!!
    so did ya get that idea from me?? did I inspire you to do soo...haha
    i'm glad you like it..i love mine
    R.I.P Spoon Se-i 01/17/04