Thread: Engine Info

DX User

Engine Info

I've checked around this site, but haven't found if there are any 16 valve heads available for the A20A3 (89 LXi).

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    There is none that will just bolt on and work without modification... but some have used b20(a1/a3/a5?) heads I believe...
    - llia

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    ahhh this gotta be a joke. A second thread about the same damn question??? Man......................... . use the search man. IF you put in B21 this is what you get for the first result https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?...&highlight=B21

this is the actual thread about the head swap. https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?...&highlight=B21

and Mike lock this thread dude.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Whats up smufguy? it's his first post.

My mistake on the B20... I didn't think the B21 was gonna fit cause I figured it had a bigger bore. I don't pay much attention to those threads though.
    Last edited by A20A1; 03-29-2004 at 09:26 PM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    sorry mike, but all i did last night was bust people's balls despite if they are new or old. Too much bs on the board lately and lot of irrelevant info's u know? But i still try to help than just say they gotta search and leave them hanging, cause thats not helping. Sorry man, u know i do it once in a while

4G4D Store, nothing personal man. So dont take it to heart. I just check people so that they know what they are doing .

DX User
    Hey Smuf guy - I wasn't asking if a B series head would fit - I was asking if there as a 16 valve head in the A series that would bolt on - I don't want to swap a b series into my wifes car, it's not worth it. I was just looking for an easy mod. Lighten up - shit - I hadn't seen anything about a 16 valve head so I though I'd ask. What's the purpose of having a forum if you're just going to be an ass to people. I did search - for about an hour, and didn't find what I was looking for.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    there are no bolt-on heads other then the stock a20 head. The best way to get more performance is to do your basic head upgrade. port and polish, valve grind, cam grind etc. check out www.accordcentral.com and look at some stuff that is available for performance upgrades except for valve grinds (which may be coming, but im not sure).
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by 4G4D Store
    Hey Smuf guy - I wasn't asking if a B series head would fit - I was asking if there as a 16 valve head in the A series that would bolt on - I don't want to swap a b series into my wifes car, it's not worth it. I was just looking for an easy mod. Lighten up - shit - I hadn't seen anything about a 16 valve head so I though I'd ask. What's the purpose of having a forum if you're just going to be an ass to people. I did search - for about an hour, and didn't find what I was looking for.
    Dude, i said i was sorry. I apologized. I once in a while bust ppls balls, and i gave a pretty darn reason why, so that it would keep ppl in check. Ill back off.

Oh yeah i forgot to add, Sean has made a A20 head flow better than a B16C so talk to him if u wanna get a better flow. It might cost little, but like always performance comes with price.
    Last edited by smufguy; 03-30-2004 at 08:18 PM.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    burgundy 86 honda accord/ brown 89 chevy caprice wagon
    16v is a waste of time. the 12v setup can flow outrageous amount of air with the proper tweaking. Valve regrinding has always been avaiable. oversized valves however arent and are subject to avaiability.
    Want your A series to kick a B series engines ass?email me for detials or check out our site

WWW.ACCORDCENTRAL.COM

Vehicle
    1986 SE-X accord R.I.P,1986 LX-I hatch R.I.P,1988 accord coupe project
    yeah 16v is a waste of time...by the time you spend the $$ to do it,you could have a a20 12v head fully worked and flowed for a hell of alot less...16v does have its cool factor though

Vehicle
    1986 honda accord lx (r.i.p) 1990 acura legend LS
    hey smuf that was one of my thread's.
    now that i realize it, it would'nt be worth it 4g4d. cuase the exhaust port is big as hell, so that would basically be the only difference.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    having a dual cam gives you the ability to tune the exhaust and intake valve openings seperately, this is usually beneficial for low and high engine rpm activated gimmics, like the Vtec. This is because you want EIVC (Early intake valve closing) on low rpms and LIVC (lave IVC) for high rpms to improve volumetric efficiency. But the B21 head swap is not beneficial, because the head is NOT bolt on and requires you to change everything from the timing belt to all the other stuff. Which requires money, So that thread pretty much explains what was changed and from what kinda motor it was taken from. This would not be a great mod, but something to say that it can be done. We dont prefer it, because the expected power from that kinda mod with that kinda money involvement is not great. Just get a regular cam grind and advance the timing and run a lil leaner and it should be fine. Better yet, start doing something with the intake manifold. This is gonna be my next project making the internals of the intake manifold bigger let alone the TB, so i dont know how it will go, but we will have to see.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Who had the hookups with the machinest that could build custom aluminum blocks and heads?
    - llia