Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cooling fans on when car is off???

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: cooling fans on when car is off???

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Quick question: what would cause the fan to not turn on, ever?
    thermo sensor,bad ground, blown fuse,corroded wire, bad fan motor, bad connector, bad fan timer on the EFI cars, timer module unplugged,

need more information

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    Hey there are hundreds if not thousands of bump deserving threads in here.

Thinking its a 105 out maybe ????

But I no once mine came on as I was charging a very dead battery on car. I was in the garage and after an hour charge the fans came on and would not go off until I unhooked the battery. Must have been a low voltage stuck relay deal. Never happened since.

The only time mine every come on after shut down is at high altitudes.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

3Geez Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    thermo sensor,bad ground, blown fuse,corroded wire, bad fan motor, bad connector, bad fan timer on the EFI cars, timer module unplugged,

need more information
    You need more information, or do I need more information? Out of the four 1988-1989 LX-i's I've owned, the first three worked...the first one was weird, though, and would come on randomly when the car was off and it was hot outside and wouldn't turn off for up to half an hour.

This car, nothing. Never hear it turn on, ever. The other fan works perfectly. I'll check the fuse and make sure everything is plugged in correctly. Where is the fuse? Under the dash or in the engine bay?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    You need more information, or do I need more information? Out of the four 1988-1989 LX-i's I've owned, the first three worked...the first one was weird, though, and would come on randomly when the car was off and it was hot outside and wouldn't turn off for up to half an hour.

This car, nothing. Never hear it turn on, ever. The other fan works perfectly. I'll check the fuse and make sure everything is plugged in correctly. Where is the fuse? Under the dash or in the engine bay?
    do you have voltage at the fan connector? the fan timer can control both fans independently on the LXI if I remember correctly I will have to look at the diagram

DX User

I have a 87 fuel imjected and I had the same problem replaced the thermostat and radiator fan switch still didn't help so I ran a toggle switch for the fans. The fans being on when the car is off is not normal. Just throwing out a suggestiom

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Streetpro3390 View Post
    I have a 87 fuel imjected and I had the same problem replaced the thermostat and radiator fan switch still didn't help so I ran a toggle switch for the fans. The fans being on when the car is off is not normal. Just throwing out a suggestiom
    the fans on the LXI cars do run for a time when the car is off,how long depends on the temp,there are two sensors, if it's above a certain temp the fans will run longer, they do this because coolant will continue to flow by convection through the system, hot coolant rises etc

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord LX-i 5sp sedan 87 Honda Accord LX-i 5sp hatch

^^^^ this. If its an lxi (or sei) and has both the green and tan sensors in the t stat housing it is normal for the fans to run after the car is off. There is a fan timer under the passengers seat that controls how long the fans run according to how hot the car is. It is in the factory service manual and the owners manual for the car. This thread needs to end unless someone actually wants to figure out why theirs isn't working. I would be glad to help troubleshoot. But I'm not going to keep saying they are supposed to come on even with the key off. Its been said more than a dozen times in this thread alone and there are more threads on this subject. If you don't know what you are talking about don't come on here saying what you are saying is a fact. Read the owners manual and ther service manual, and use the dang search. I'm out!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by pickupman6 View Post
    ^^^^ this. If its an lxi (or sei) and has both the green and tan sensors in the t stat housing it is normal for the fans to run after the car is off. There is a fan timer under the passengers seat that controls how long the fans run according to how hot the car is. It is in the factory service manual and the owners manual for the car. This thread needs to end unless someone actually wants to figure out why theirs isn't working. I would be glad to help troubleshoot. But I'm not going to keep saying they are supposed to come on even with the key off. Its been said more than a dozen times in this thread alone and there are more threads on this subject. If you don't know what you are talking about don't come on here saying what you are saying is a fact. Read the owners manual and ther service manual, and use the dang search. I'm out!
    yep if they had read the thread instead of instantly answering they would have known they are supposed to do this

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

From the manual - "Fan Timer System: When the coolant temperature is above approx. 226* after the engine is stopped, the condenser fan goes into operation to cool the engine for a maximum of 15 minutes. When the temperature falls below 214*, the fan is stopped."

Hope that helps.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord

Hi, I've read and been researching this on my 87 EFI model. I have read everywhere about cooling fan staying on when car is shut off after warmed up. yes mine does that to. Mine also does it cold after I turn key on then off. Fan runs for about 10 min. when I turn ignition on as it's running fan stops. once in awhile battery drains the next morning.
    I have replaced both sensors one on radiator and other on motor.

Any help would be greatly appreciate

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by rjcruz View Post
    Hi, I've read and been researching this on my 87 EFI model. I have read everywhere about cooling fan staying on when car is shut off after warmed up. yes mine does that to. Mine also does it cold after I turn key on then off. Fan runs for about 10 min. when I turn ignition on as it's running fan stops. once in awhile battery drains the next morning.
    I have replaced both sensors one on radiator and other on motor.

Any help would be greatly appreciate
    Good chance its the control box. I think its under the passenger seat. Something is probably wrong with one of the relays in there.

I would also double check you changed out the correct sensor in the thermostat housing.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!