Thread: Misfire Problem....Need Expert Help

DX User

Misfire Problem....Need Expert Help

Hey guys, I'm trying to fix my 1988 Accord LX. It is has a carburetor and 166K miles.

Here's my problem.

The car will intermittently surge or buck while driving. Using a timing light, I've found that spark plugs 2 and 3 will misfire around 3,000 rpm while holding the rpm's up. I've changed plugs, wires, rotor button, distributor cap and coil. Didn't help.

I got another distributor from a junkyard motor and the engine still misfires, again only on 2 and 3.

I checked the ignitor using a repair manual. The manual says there should be continuity between ignitor terminals A and B, using the positive probe on A and the negative on B.

The manual also says there should be no continuity between B and A with the probes reversed.

I have no continuity between A and B in either direction using the probes on either terminal. This is the case for both distributors.

Is the ignitor my problem? It seems to me if the ignitor was bad, the car wouldn't run at all, but it does.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Check the stator reluctor allignment... there is a thread about it on here.

Also it could be a problem with the fuel / air mix.
    Sparkplug not gapped right
    dirty sparkplug hole
    spark arching somewhere before the plugs electrodes
    leaky valves in those cylinders... or some valve ailment like improper valve lash.

Maybe run a compression check if you can't find anything electrical wrong.
    have you changed the PCV valve?
    - llia

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    Try replacing the igniter with a known good one, ie the one that passes the shop manual testing procedure. Since you got the new distributor from a junk yard, it is possible that the igniter is going out on that distributor as well.
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

Vehicle
    '83 Accord and yeah, I know it's a 2G okay?
    This is SO weird!!! (no April fools post) Today I was travelling down the highway and my car just "sputtered" really bad and made a "muted backfire" sound - almost like the gas was shut off for a just a split second, then it kept running. After it did this, it would sort of sputter and run irregularly. I kept driving it and it kept running, but it did this 4 or 5 times today.

I'm hoping it's just the ignition coil &/or distributor. Could it be that or something else?

BTW - I just had a valve job so I know that's probably not the problem - the car has 222K miles on it - haven't done the rings yet or checked the compression - could it be that?

My 2G has three emissions control systems: fuel tank, intake & exhaust. All of these are plugged or removed (the "black box" where all the vacuum lines go has been removed too).

Help!

Thanks!