Thread: b20a swap questions

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI 5speed

b20a swap questions

alright ive been searching but cant find exzaclty what i need to know. I bought a b20a from a 3geez member here wendsday and im trying to figure out a few things out about it. I planning on starting the swap on sunday. Alright i have the 88-89 style black top b20a. My car is a 86 with the bt motor. I am trying to figure out what would be the easiest way to wire it all up because i know the wiring harness are different and the intake manifolds are different and the ecus are a tad bit different between 86,87 and 88,89 mine has the secondary butterfly valves on the b20a. What would be the easiest way to get this to work for me. Should i use my manifold on it or try to get this one on the b20a to work. It also has the 2 oxygen sensors on it and mine only has one, would my ecu resond to this well? I am planning on eventually converting it to all run on the b20a5 ecu. But this is just for now! THANKS!
    http://www.myspace.com/3364524

b20accord SN on honda-tech,homemadeturbo,clubcivic,turbod16, and many more

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250
    Im not sure on the 86-87 accords since im not familiar with the differences but i would imagine you can do what i am doing and use your existing intake manifold that way all the wiring is the same and get the first gen integra distributor. And as far as the O2 setup i would get a plug and run the stock setup with your ecu. I wouldnt rush into this if this is your daily driver because you can get stuck very easily and make sure to get a new intake manifold gasket and stuff or your going to have some leaks. This is just off the top of my head and im not familiar with the 86-87's at all so i cant be sure this info works the same as the 88-89.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    That's right Rob!

adam, you can just use your A20A intake manifold, a 86-87 teg distributor and 1 O2 sensor. That way you keep the stock ECU.

I do have a 1 O2 sensor manifold if you prefer.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    ive already got the teg distributer on it so thats no problem. If i use my bt manifold should i change the wiring harness to mine to, or just plug it in and see what happens?

Vehicle
    Use all the stuff from your car now dont use the JDM harness. You will have to change over the sensors on the B20A head because i think the connectors are different but its only 2 of them and all you really need is the connector housing. The rest should be just reconnecting the stuff back to where you had it. You might have an extra water outlet on the water tube that will need to be plugged.

Vehicle
    alright i have it all in and running strong, but i have a few more questions. I used my manifold and my wiring harness, but i have one connector not connected to anything its a green plug and the other is pluged into the head what were you saying about this rob? Also my pgm-fi light is on, i think its just because i have the egr on it but someone crimped and cut the tube so it cant work right unless i get a new egr tube. Also everytime i just turn my car on for a sec or too the fan turns on and wont turn off for 15 min. What could cause that? THANKS!

Vehicle
    The wire i believe is for another temperature sensor im not 100% on this but the A20A has two different sensors and the B20A has only one so my guess is that this sensor probably relates to the fan running now because it dont have a sensor connected. As for the light im not sure you can check the code if you see the flashes on the ECU and work back from there.

Vehicle
    what should i do to get both sensors to function correctly? Or should i just cut them and make them into one. would this work?

Vehicle
    I plan on tapping another hole for the other sensor into my thermostat housing. This should work fine and there is plenty of room on the housing to do it. I was thinking about using the sensors from the A20A3 since they will all fit my harness but im not sure if theyre are any temperature differences although i would think that both engines opperate within a close range of each other although the B20A is a aluminum block. This is what i plan to do to simplify things a bit and use what i know is in working order to begin with.

Vehicle
    alright cool, thats probbally what i will eventually have to do to. The code that i got was for the ect sensor (engine coolant tempature). Also, another quick question. I used 10w30 for oil in it is this what it is supose to use? Thanks!

Vehicle
    alright last question rob, sorry for all the questions but, what should i set the timing to? BTW: i have the teg distributer on it, if that makes a difference. THANKS!

Vehicle
    As for oil yeah that is what i would use but for timing i cant really tell you where to set that you will have to get it running and set it with a timing light. So i guess the ecu code answers that for the ect so if you dont have a tap that large i would take it to a machine shop and have them do it i would expect it to be cheap and easy. Glad that you got it going with minimal trouble but make sure to take care of the sensor and set your timing properly with a timing light.