Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is better a Manual or Auto?

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LX manual 5 spd./Honda Accord LX 2004 AT

Question Which is better a Manual or Auto?

I have a mannual right now and i like it its fun, BUT traffic in CA is HORRIBLE. so all i do is burn up clutches, and sit in traffic all the time and its gets old. Mannuals are fun but i was thinking about getting a Auto on my car. Is this a good or bad thing? My parents just got a 2004 Honda Accord LX (thats why i got old Honda) and they have a auto because they didn't like shifting in traffic plus they went though like 4 clutches. Their car is fast and all with a auto so would you guys use a auto on your car? CA HAS BAD TRAFFIC..
    My honda if you dare to see it... http://www.cardomain.com/id/bkkloppenborg
    Working on car to make it faster all stock right now..

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX
    hell...i'll trade u all my auto stuff for ur manual stuff...i've been looking to swap to 5-speed...holla at me
    GOT THE 1982 RX-7!!! NEW LOVE IN MY LIFE!!!

Vehicle
    Weber Powered 88 Accord LX
    I'll take manual over an automatic anyday. Manual makes dring fun and plus ot is almost impossible to sleep. An automatic is just plane boring. Stick with the manual. An d only move in traffic when it really moves. don;t move just for a foot or two. that way you'll really burn your clutch.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i 5 speed hatchback
    Culpeper, Va.- home, JMU (Harrisonburg, Va.)- school
    yeah, manuals are far better then autos if you know how to drive them well
    "Eat, Drink, and be Merry!"

Vehicle
    1988/Honda/Accord DX 5-speed and 1990 300zx N/A 5-Speed
    .......|...|........
    .......|...|........
    .\.....|...|...../..
    ...\...|...|.../....
    .....\.|...|./......
    .......\..../........
    .........\/..........
    NA>TT Underway

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    i'd say manual is king over automatic. i wish my car was manual shift. i mean, the automatic can be nice so you dont have to shift all the time moving through traffic, but then i hate my automatic because it shifts too hard. i'd like it to be smooth like my '02 accord. but the 3gee's is fully hydrolic. anyway, the manual is fun, gets more power to the ground most times, gets better gas mileage. oh, and you can modify it, luckly for y'all with manual, you can add a nice clutch and other stuff. i think i can get a tranny shop here in town to put a shift kit in my auto actually, im going to check either tomorrow or the weekend. ok, so i want the manual. i've planned that any car i do buy in the future will have to be manual.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    93 civic
    manual = good but bad for traffic

but you shouldn't be killing the clutch so fast.... Either you are slipping too much on engagement or something. Best way to ride in traffic is roll super slow in 1st.

but if you guys are killing clutches i suggest you get an auto car for daily driver and keep the 5spd 3gee around for fun on the weekends.

Vehicle

Question Would a Racing Clutch be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Busted_Blue
    manual = good but bad for traffic

but you shouldn't be killing the clutch so fast.... Either you are slipping too much on engagement or something. Best way to ride in traffic is roll super slow in 1st.

but if you guys are killing clutches i suggest you get an auto car for daily driver and keep the 5spd 3gee around for fun on the weekends.
    Would a Racing Clutch be better? What is the difference beween a racing and regular one. I know one is for racing lol, but i heard you dont have to put your foot down on the clutch so far down is this true? If so is it worth it to get one next time my mom burns the clutch out of my car when she drives it?

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord LX-i hatchy
    I think that in traffic, stock ones are a lot better, cuz sports ones are stiff, and you don't want to do stiff moves...
    check your reaction HERE
    find 3 differences HERE

Accord of the Year - 2008

Vehicle
    89 Accord No Motor and 88 Accord HB LX-i
    Auto for Life The 87 hatch i just got has a 5speed in it i am going to RIP it out and put a Auto in it
    LX-R coming soon Here's a hint. 89mm stroke/ 41.60cc head /ARP head & main stud's /SRP piston's 81.5mm 9:5:1/Crower Rod's & more to come

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Quote Originally Posted by TWOLOUDNPROUD
    Auto for Life The 87 hatch i just got has a 5speed in it i am going to RIP it out and put a Auto in it
    sigh tom...sigh..

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord Lx-i 3Dr
    I will never own a Auto !!!!!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI, 90 Caddie 90 Chevy
    I like the auto myself. It might be more fun to drive with a stick but I have better things to do then shift gears. It would be nice to have an auto with a true 1st gear though.
    **Some Info on my car can be found here **

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/547146

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i Sedan
    I have to admit I like these autos a lot better than any other auto I've ever driven. I don't know if it's because it's old or what but it shifts quick and hard, kind of feels like a manual, and if you get used to it you can control the shift points with the amount of pressure on the gas pedal.

I love the way my car shifts. I've always thought it was very fun to drive even though it's an auto.

However, nothing can replace the control you have with a manual, that's why the next car I get will have one. Then the car and I will be one.
    --------
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i Sedan
    1991 Honda Prelude Si
    http://www.electronicscene.com/tecknixia

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    Quote Originally Posted by BKKloppenborg
    Would a Racing Clutch be better? What is the difference beween a racing and regular one. I know one is for racing lol, but i heard you dont have to put your foot down on the clutch so far down is this true? If so is it worth it to get one next time my mom burns the clutch out of my car when she drives it?
    In traffic, and as mentioned before, you can roll at almost idle with clutch completely engaged. With enough experience, you don't even need to let the clutch slip much if engaging at low speed. Just get the car moving to about 5mph and release all the way, that way you are cruising at about 850 rpm and you didn't just burn the clutch for 2-5 seconds taking off (proper throttle and clutch control is crucial for this, otherwise it is jerky). A racing clutch, although providing a little more durability, will not fix the problems in traffic. It will provide more grip, thus a stiffer and rougher engagement. It may in fact encourage whoever drives the car to let the clutch slip even more because they can't get it to engage smoothly (again, here driver experience and skill separate those who can use a clutch for 100K+ miles, and those that replace theirs every 45K miles). Instead of changing to a different kind of clutch, try to change your driving habits, or the habits of whoever drives the car. Also, about the clutch release distance. I am not exactly sure what you mean, but maybe that the clutch releases earlier. This is adjustable with your clutch cable. It may result in clutch damage if adjusted incorrectly. Generally clutches don't differ much in how soon they release, based on their type that is (regular, racing, etc.).

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by '89AccordLX(Rus); 04-09-2004 at 11:43 AM.
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

Vehicle
    1991 Civic STD
    i'd say manual is better.
    didn't you say you were moving anyway? if you are, you're gonna want to switch back to it when you get out of CA anyway, aren't you?
    someone made a point about sleeping, and he's right. it's a lot easier to fall asleep when all you have to do is stick your foot on the gas and leave it there.
    finally, i think if you're planning on running your car on the track, it's pretty much essential to have a manual
    but to each his own.

Of course I'm lazy. If I wanted to work on my car I'd have gotten a DSM
    Daily Drivers Done Right

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    It's always good to see more Auto-Junkies
    - llia

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    thats the most retarded thing i've heard. . . . . .

besides getting BETTER gas mileage, a stick is just plain fun to drive. If you know how to drive a clutch correctly, your motor will burn up before your clutch does in traffic. . . . . .
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecknixia
    ...and if you get used to it you can control the shift points with the amount of pressure on the gas pedal.
    I used to do it that way before I disconnected the trans kickdown cable and started fooling with it manually.
    Hook the TV/Kickdowncable to another lever and add a few notches to hold the lever for you; one for regular driving, one for uphill driving, and one for all out racing... then you can easily unhook the lever from the notches and adjust it by hand for those times you feel like it. Someone mentioned hooking it up to a pedal. but I'd need to swap in my manual pedal assembly and rig the cable to the clutch pedal.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1986 Prelude 2.0si turbo - 1990 Integra moutain carver - 1993 Nissan 300ZXTT w/ more power than god
    I've raced an auto and manual, and driven both in traffic in Atlanta. Having an auto in my current LXi and with Atlanta traffic a hopefully soon daily hell again, I welcome it. If I lived out in the country like I do now, I would put a manual in it. I feel for people stuck with a manual who live in a major city - get an auto.
    I am the wrath of the server you curse and the demon of the directory you cry about - making life hell for users, one deleted file at a time.

Vehicle
    87 LX
    Which is better a Manual or Auto?

That has to be the stupidest question I have heard in a long time. Make up your own mind as what is right to you. The fact is the only person that can answer that question for you is yourself.
    ------------------

Vehicle

Angry Damn wtf is your probelm?

Quote Originally Posted by kroy
    Which is better a Manual or Auto?

That has to be the stupidest question I have heard in a long time. Make up your own mind as what is right to you. The fact is the only person that can answer that question for you is yourself.
    Damn wtf is your probelm? Its a openion yes but i was wondering what more people perfer so how can i find that out if i don't ask? I also wanted to know if the auto on a 89 Accord is a good Auto. So wtf :flipa:

Vehicle
    87 LX
    Quote Originally Posted by BKKloppenborg
    Damn wtf is your probelm? Its a openion yes but i was wondering what more people perfer so how can i find that out if i don't ask? I also wanted to know if the auto on a 89 Accord is a good Auto. So wtf :flipa:
    I have no problem, thanks for asking though. You asked a pretty dumb question. The word best is compltly subjective, meaning you will get a different response from everyone based upon their experience, enviroment and how they drive. You asked what was best and that is impossible to answer because we do not know you on a personal level. Oh and the 89 Accord auto tranny is not too great, just ask one of the hunreds of users with rebuilt ones.

BTW, its spelled OPINION.
    ------------------

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 accord lx-i HB 5 spd, 1988 prelude Si 5spd
    I don't think it's a dumb question. I prefer manual for several reasons: the control over the engine speed, the fun-factor, the fact that it's lighter than the automatic and I can actually lift it without a jack. Although sometimes I do wish I had an automatic, especially in traffic, I believe that a manual is more efficient overall. In regards to the sleeping comment, Usually I only fall asleep while driving on the highway(jk), but when I'm on the highway, I don't have to shift because it's in fifth for a long time, so it's kind of like driving an automatic. Also, my brother & sister don't know how to drive a manual, so they can't steal my key & steal my car and wreck it. Big plus!

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    auto is best if you dont know how to drive a standard corectly... your folks prolly rev to 2K and slip the clutch to get going.. i dont even have to hit 1100 before i start accelerating... creeping in traffic is fine.. i dont een use extra gas... just a little clutch

Travis