Thread: Gauge lighting

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*

Question Gauge lighting

i'd taken off the gauges a while back to look and see whats inside. hehe. i finally saw the rubber colored covers that go over the bulbs to make them shine the green. i wanted to try some either blue or red colored bulbs, but they dont have 158's in colored and i dont wanna mess electrical stuff up with 168 or 194 bulbs that are higher wattage. anyway, i saw that autozone has the same type of rubber covers that go over the bulbs in blue and red. anyone put those on? should i try it? i dont know if it will look good or not. these are for the bulbs that are behind the numbers and stuff on the tach and speedo. then again maybe i should just leave i green color so it matches with all the other gauges and little lights like the clock which i cant change the color of it i dont think. so anyone used those things?
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    88 accord lx-i coupe 5sp.
    i had red bulbs behind my gauges, it looked good, and the gauges i have in the other side of my dash had white bulbs, and i went and bought those blue covers and they work great. i also bought a cover for my domelight, its blue, and when u drive with it on .it kinda has a blue tone throughout the whole car.
    -Brian
    -"lifes a bitch,i swear to god, you take your chances, too many questions and not enuogh answers!"-nappy roots

My Accord

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    hey, you got any pix of what the guages and other lights look like with them on? i'd like to see before i buy those things. they only have 2 of them at each autozone! damn them! good thing theres 2 in each box. they're like $2 for 2 covers. anyway, those are made by pilot and were cheaper than the ones at pepboy's. dont remeber how many bulbs there are in the meter gauges on the dash. i wonder if i can do the same to the light in the gear shift on the floor. i think its the same type of thing.

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer
    I used them, I didn't really like them, they made the light a horrible baby blue color and it was very dull.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-I
    those rubber pieces will start to fade also making you pretty blue lights go green.
    RIP: 1988 Accord LX-i
    My Car Domain Site http://www.cardomain.com/id/sharkyx

Current 1988 LX
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73596

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord DX
    Check out my thread. it shows what the red gauges look like. I've ordered some UV LED's and as soon as I get them (grrrr) I will post pictures.

Vehicle
    how do they fade? i'm guessing from the heat of the bulb? the 158 bulb that goes in there is the same size as 168 and 194, not wattage. anyone know if i could just put a higher watt bulb without any problem? maybe upgrade the fuse? i really wouldnt want to mess up my gauges of course. maybe i should just leave it alone. thats never a bad idea. hehe.

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaBoy
    how do they fade? i'm guessing from the heat of the bulb? the 158 bulb that goes in there is the same size as 168 and 194, not wattage. anyone know if i could just put a higher watt bulb without any problem? maybe upgrade the fuse? i really wouldnt want to mess up my gauges of course. maybe i should just leave it alone. thats never a bad idea. hehe.
    When you move to a higher wattage that means the bulb itself will be putting out more heat and you'll be pulling more current through the wires, possibly more then they are meant to handle. At the very least your wires will get warm, worst case the insulation will crack or melt and expose bare wire. Either way be careful.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 Accord DX
    Sorry, I didn't get that link posted. Here are my red gauges. http://3geez.asmallorange.com/showthread.php?t=23390

Also, check out http://www.autolumination.com

That's where I've purchased my lights from. They are designed to replace ca bulbs so it's pretty safe.