Thread: suspension upgrade...what to replace?

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatchie

Question suspension upgrade...what to replace?

In need of some advice...

In a couple weekends i'll be installing eibach pro-kit + tokico blues. What are some of the important things that I might consider changing (strut mounts, bushings, etc.)? Any online deals?

Thanks!
    Guillermo
    86 LXi HATCHBACK (now sold)

Vehicle
    2006 Nissan 350z
    Chassis rigidity stiffening. Urethane foam inside of the frame for added support, high density. Subframe spacers, sway bars, fender support bars, engine damper, replace transmission mounts, etc.

Oh yeah, camber plates, tension rods, control arms, perhaps a roll cage, rear ladder bars, trunk bars, shoot...I could go on, take your pic. Not all of these will apply as I have listed options available for the silvia/240s that I deal with...and many other cars.
    Last edited by zero.counter; 04-19-2004 at 06:53 PM.
    natsugusa ya
    tsuwamono domo ga
    yume no ato

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    Have you already bought the Eibach springs? The spring rates they pick will give your car even more understeer. Are you lowering your car for looks of performance?
    Mike

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatchie
    not funny zero...

Yea the springs are on their way...lowering car for both looks and performance while keeping a moderate budget. For now just looking to upgrade the STOCK suspension to gain some performance....plus the 15's would look better with a drop.

Not looking to build a show-car or a top-notch dragster...just want to know what are some of the common parts replaced when doing a drop.
    Guillermo

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Check all your ball joints and tie rod ends. It's also a good idea to check bushings as well. Remember that a lot of the nuts and bolts that hold the suspension together are self-locking so as soon as you loosen it, it will need replaced. Check the shop manual to be sure exactly which need replaced.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    1989 LXI Coupe Kswap, 1989 LXI Bswap
    who makes a bushing kit for oputy cars?
    Style Quality Uniqueness And Design
    S.Q.U.A.D. Engineering
    www.squadengineering.com

http://www.facebook.com/squadengineering

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Quote Originally Posted by h0ndavtec
    who makes a bushing kit for oputy cars?

no one

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    yea nice our car dosn't have a lot of that stuff. How about new ball joints for now.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    2010 Ford Taurus SEL, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    Change yor radius rod arm bushings they are more than likely shot. Even if the aren't a huge improvement is to order moog PNK9517. These are poly bushings and they took almost all the wobble and play out of my steering. They are the best 21 bucks I spent, well less than that i got 5% off them as well. Like someone said, check the tie rod ends, upper bamm foint, and rear upper control arm. Better to do it all at once then keep taking things apart over and over and over

Vehicle
    B20A SEi
    I would consider upgrading to 88-89 LXi/SEi swaybars, they are slightly larger than yours. You should be able to find them pretty cheap at a u-pull-it junkyard. You can also replace the front swaybar bushings with polyurethane. There is a thread in here that lists the specific Summit part numbers (about $30 endlinks and mount bushings.)

Rear upper control arms (the balljoints specifically) are a known trouble spot.

Gregg

Vehicle
    2010 Ford Taurus SEL, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    I wish someone would link that thread.

Vehicle
    B20A SEi

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatchie
    Wow, sounds like a really worthwhile upgrade. I guess i'm off to the junkyard.

I ran into another problem! The used Eibach spring I bought off ebay (3geez member too) came all RUSTY and the paint all CHIPPED. I already bought a metal ETCH solvent and paint remover....just debating on what kind of paint to use.

Any suggestions? Choices are Rustoleum, por 15, or a polyurethane (Imron). Has anyone had to repaint their springs?

Thanks.
    Guillermo

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by superguillermo
    Wow, sounds like a really worthwhile upgrade. I guess i'm off to the junkyard.

I ran into another problem! The used Eibach spring I bought off ebay (3geez member too) came all RUSTY and the paint all CHIPPED. I already bought a metal ETCH solvent and paint remover....just debating on what kind of paint to use.

Any suggestions? Choices are Rustoleum, por 15, or a polyurethane (Imron). Has anyone had to repaint their springs?

Thanks.
    It would be best to use a ruberized spray paint soemthing like that spray on rino lining, then spay some color over that. It should hold up pretty good.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.