Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: d-series swap??

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    well if you get a hatch, it's light as hell, i'm sure that wasn't meant for a family or 4. the coupe IS potential, just have to know how to use that potential. i don't like to dog on any cars, but the d series is just horrible, they're made for wat 92-95 civics, while old school 3g's can match their performance. that's just weak sauce. plus the fun is in getting mods, soo wat if a20 don't have much support that's all in the challenge, either look really hard or make em' yourself.
    3geez for life.

Vehicle
    2000 Integra GS-R, 1988 Accord LX-i
    3rd gen accord is light, the heaviest 3gee is as light as the lightest 3rd gen teg.
    - Matt

Yeah, the bottom line is: DON'T, under any circumstances, take the time, money or effort to swap the D16 into a 3G. Granted, that engine has some aftermarket support, but you know what? It's not worth it, because by the time you have the (slow-ass) stock D16 sitting in the 3G's engine compartment, you cound have a MONSTER A20 for the same money involved, and much less, so unbelievably much less, effort, work and time.

IMHO, the only two engines worthy of the 3G is the B18C5, or the B20VTEC.

Vehicle
    BB6 Lude, EG Hatch.
    Nobody said that it is a good swap for an Accord. We all agree to that. But the D is still better than the A, when you compare engine to engine.

Driving an A20 is comparable to a Neon SOHC, the power leaves WAAAY before redline.

S4RE 1G Neon Redline = 6500, power leaves at 55-5700.
    A20A Redline = 6250, power leaves at 54-5600.
    D16Z6 Redline = 7200, power lasts until 7500+.
    D15B2 Redline = 6500, power lasts until 6500.

These are the SOHC's I've owned, all were 5 speed cars, and the A20 was the weakest performer. The Neon had similar power delivery, but at least it had power to begin with. The D16Z6 is the best Honda SOHC made, anyway, unless you go JDM, with the 130 HP D15B 3-VTEC.

Once again, to the orginal poster. Put ANYTHING in your car, you'll be better off. Even if its a 2G Teg B18A, but that's as low as you go.

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by diegoaccord
    But the D is still better than the A, when you compare engine to engine.
    Ummmm...no. Just because your little engine puts power out for more rpm's than the A20 doesn't mean it's better.

Another thing, why do you come to a 3RD GENERATION ACCORD forum only to bash the car that this place was created for? Makes no sense. :thumbdown
    -Harvey

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    There is an A in A-series Asskisser, which is you.

There is an A in A-series Asskicker, which is me.

It's the other way around, cause my STOCK A-series can hand it to you.
    -Harvey

Vehicle
    2003 Infiniti G35 sedan
    isnt it true that smaller engines have to rev higher to make power...so wouldnt hte 2.0 liter a20 have an advantage cuzz lets say...you are running two cars together...
    one with a 2.0 liter engine and one with a 1.6 liter engine...and they both put out 110 hp...the 2 liter has 5800 redline....and the 1.6 has it at 6500 rpms...so the 2 liter would reach max power faster and shift quicker than the 1.6 right???
    does that make sense cuzz it sure does make sense to me....

Vehicle
    BB6 Lude, EG Hatch.
    I'm here because I've had a 89 5 speed DX sedan, white, with brown interior, and I HAVE a lower mileage copy of that car now. My first one had 2 mirrors, this one has one. Duh. What can you say about that?

If I own the car in question, I have the right to say what I want. Plus, it was someone else who brought up the fact that I have a Civic. In essence, they started it, because I was on topic, until he said that shit.

And to the prior poster, we're talking about the 88-89 A20A3 122 HP, not 86-87 110 HP, and D16Z6 125 HP.
    Last edited by diegoaccord; 05-10-2004 at 04:59 AM.

Vehicle
    2003 Infiniti G35 sedan
    no i was just tryin to reply to someone who said about high revvin and makin around the same horsepower...just was givin an example you know

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    diegoaccord, your Accord was slow because it was carbed that's all. 98 hp vs 125 with the civic.... with my EFI setup I din't fear any Z6 at all.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    Anyway, this topis should never have come up.... there is a sticky thread on the top of this section that explains it all!!!!

https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=413

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    So your willing to swap a slow engine just cause of how high it make power. It's called a cam grind, it cost me about $50 and it make power up to 7K. Like everyone said before the money spent on this swap will out weight the benefits. If you want to be the first one to have swap a D in the 3G they do it for the record books, but please not for performance.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Please don't be like that ITR on HT that has the slowest ITR in the world.... (Dseries powered ITR)

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX With B16A3 Engine Swap

d series swap

after my a20 the d15b7 was he first motor i wired in b4 my b16a3 so it has been done

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    If I own the car in question, I have the right to say what I want. Plus, it was someone else who brought up the fact that I have a Civic. In essence, they started it, because I was on topic, until he said that shit.
    just cus one person talks crap bout your car doesn't mean you can ruin it for all us 3geezers, your comments are welcomed however wat you said bout the a20 was a bit harsh dude, you must reallize it's a site for the 3g and most of us have the a20, whether carbed or not
    edit: and dude, dont get offended, were not sayin the d16 is a piece of shit engine, in our opinion it's not as good as a20, since the whole topic to begin with was "should i drop a d16" it's not good for this situation because, wheater it compares to the a20 or not, it wont make a good swap since youre puttin time and money into it. my fren as a d16, it thought it was great to work on, easy too! but with all his mods it was still slow as hell, but that's only one case.
    Last edited by 88accordhb; 05-15-2004 at 12:07 AM.
    3geez for life.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord DX coupe, 1989 Accord LX coupe, 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier coupe, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Is the D series also more rigid than the A series?

Vehicle
    BB6 Lude, EG Hatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by 88accordhb
    just cus one person talks crap bout your car doesn't mean you can ruin it for all us 3geezers, your comments are welcomed however wat you said bout the a20 was a bit harsh dude, you must reallize it's a site for the 3g and most of us have the a20, whether carbed or not
    edit: and dude, dont get offended, were not sayin the d16 is a piece of shit engine, in our opinion it's not as good as a20, since the whole topic to begin with was "should i drop a d16" it's not good for this situation because, wheater it compares to the a20 or not, it wont make a good swap since youre puttin time and money into it. my fren as a d16, it thought it was great to work on, easy too! but with all his mods it was still slow as hell, but that's only one case.

If you read, you'd see that I am on my 2nd 3G now, along with Civic. I have an A20 as well. Does that give me reason to bash the car, or not? And I NEVER said that the D was good to drop in a 3G, cause it isn't. Besides, I had a 2000 Si last year, with B16A2, so, to me, either D or A series sucks compared to it.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord DX coupe, 1989 Accord LX coupe, 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier coupe, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    I thought the A series has the weakest block and crankshaft.

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    You thought wrong.

The block, crank, and rods are strong as shit.
    -Harvey

LX User
    Vehicle
    It can't be more rigid than the 3.0 liter V-6 in the new accords.

DX User

Re: d-series swap??

Listen listen, I know this is a thread from '04, but I just wanted to chime in because it is still a top Google result for a few query's.

I personally think, the d series in a 3rd gen Accord is a beautiful idea. It provides a solid ass platform for someone to build some cheap power in a unique car.
    For someone that has the tools (plasma cutter, welder, metal knowledge) this would be a great project to embark on that can also yield great results.

Put it this way, a friend and I got a f series into a 86 sedan. Had the wiring done, axles figured out and in, and all the mounts we're tacked in. We had just got shift linkages figured out when we blew the vehicle up with tannerite. (I can post pics of the bay and even link the video of it being blew up if you would like). Why did we do it though? The engine, parts, and tools we're there, and we were bored.

If anyone is searching this currently, I'd say go for it.