Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: d-series swap??

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 accord lx

d-series swap??

Haven't been on here for a while or messed with cars for a long while,
    I searched for d16y8 didnt find nothing and read the swap faq but im throwing in a ls/vtec in my civ and thinking about the d16 in the old accord,
    if anyone has done it themselves please respond.

hope all is going well here at 3geez.

Why insult the 3G with the ultraslow D16? You wanna swap - get the B18C5, B20VTEC or LS/VTEC - those engines can actually move the 3G. Yes, you do have the D16 in hand already, that is the one and only pro about this swap. The cons are as follows:

-Slower than the A20.
    -Expensive, probably never been done before because of the fundamentally bad idea it is to swap a D16 into a 3G.
    -Enormous amounts of custom work has to be done, like gearbox, axles, engine & gearbox mounts, wiring harness, etc. etc. etc.

Vehicle
    88 Hybrid Accord LX-i
    Not worth doing, no matter what good conditions the D16 is in, its not worth all the modifications required to swap that in. Here's a small list

-Mounts
    -Wiring
    -Axles
    -Shift linkage
    -Water hoses
    -OBD issues
    -Tranny issues
    and unknown issues concerning that swap that has never been done before.

Not to mention less torque and still remaining a single cam!
    http://vtecnos.tripod.com

Member Since 7-9-01

Vehicle
    87 LX
    Mad props to you if you can pull it off, you can change your name to slowassoldschoolswap :thumbdown
    ------------------

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by kroy
    Mad props to you if you can pull it off, you can change your name to slowassoldschoolswap :thumbdown
    Yea I have to agree with Kroy, that engine sucks. I drove that civic with the D16Y8 and hydro tranny and it is the slowest POS. I would highly suggest another engine.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    '13 Civic Si 4dr / 05 Saturn VUE 2.2L 5-Spd
    Yeah good luck with that, less displacement less power less tq, NICE! Don't do it......
    Your 4MB signature image has been deleted.
    ^And I'm going to leave it that way.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 accord lx
    Well things dont change around here, all negative responese , i dont care about how slow the engine is... the old accord needs a new engine anyways. all i asked was if anyone has done it them selves personally and respond, of course the people who probably haven't done would respond to me and give me information that is not any value to me. Once again if anyone has done this swap please respond to this post. if you haven't done this swap you don't have to respond to this , thank you . I'm not insulting the 3g, by giving it a diff motor with less miles on it, im only insulting it by letting it sit in the garage and collecting dust.
    Last edited by juiquan; 04-21-2004 at 02:03 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i 5 speed hatchback
    Culpeper, Va.- home, JMU (Harrisonburg, Va.)- school
    get another A20 if you need another engine
    "Eat, Drink, and be Merry!"

Vehicle
    87 LX
    I got an Idea. Go ahead and do a swap in the Civic with whatever you want. Then sell the D16 with the tranny, ecu, etc... With that money you should be able to build a decent A20 for the Accord, plus it will be easy as hell to drop in compared to a D,
    ------------------

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 accord lx
    i dont care about how easy or how hard it is, its just something to do to keep occupied away from other things in life, jesus christ. but i suppose i will just sell the d16 and the accord will continue to sit, actually i think i'll sell the accord to might as well. anways im done asking here. reminder to why possibly your friends are fighting over in the middle east , people dont know how to get along with others so much fing hate in this world may peace be with you...

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    dude, no one is fighting with you. we are trying to tell you that the motor is not worth.
    if you don't have anything else to do, than swap the motor. the problem is that you will have to spend a hole lot money on engine mounts, axels, engine wirring and so on and on.
    you better off selling D16 motor and get another A20 motor and drop it in.
    plus as i can see you have LX model, which means you will have to conver to EFI if you want D16 motor.
    so which motor do you want, the one that will cost you arm and a leg or the motor that you can buy for $250-400 at junk yard and drop it in and be happy with it.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    96 Civic (Turbo lsvtec) /87 accord lx/95 civic dx
    im doing the same thing you are..... except the d series is going into my 93 civic instead of a 3g and im doing a lsvtec in my 96 civic .... lets see some pictures of your lsvtec civic
    Jay

Vehicle
    yea there is a reason why no one has done that swap. There is no mounts, axles, wiring, and all that fun stuff. If you really want to waste money on a D-series you are on your own casue no one would even think about doing it.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    2000 Integra GS-R, 1988 Accord LX-i
    A D series in a 3g???!!!!

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahhahahahahaha

WTF would you do that for???????
    - Matt

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    D series is SLOW. MY friend raced me with his civic dx with ex conversion (y8 head, intake and exaust manis, also ex tranny) with a huge catback, punched cat, and the car weighed 2250 lbs (stripped interior) and he only ran 16.5 and hes a decent driver, i pulled a 16.2 with my lxi with less mods than that
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    i had thought about that when i had the chance to get a D16 out of the del sol. then i thought about it and figured my A20 is compareable to it, and that D16 isnt the shit anyway.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    reDiculous has a D in it, soo do the d series, nuff said. don't those things have like 115hp and way sucky torque. why waste time and money, unless you like to downgrade cars just for fun.
    3geez for life.

Vehicle
    93 Integra LS-S
    Don't do it. It's not worth the time and money. But if you're crazy enough about it, you can actually get mounts for it. Honda carries them and the parts number is DMB-455. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-roy
    Street racing is for idiots.

Vehicle
    BB6 Lude, EG Hatch.
    There is a D in rediculous, and there's an A in ASS.

The A20 is ASS.

Either way, it's not worth it. If the Accord mounts were compatible with Z6, or Y8, then yeah, it'd be good, cause 3G's arent too much heavier than my Civic EX, and they'd perform similar, plus theres a huge aftermarket. But once again, only if the stock mounts were compatible.

So, It's anBy engine series)

A = ASS, or
    B = Beautiful
    H = Hella work
    F = Fuck it
    C = Cant fit

But you should swap somethng in it. I mean, Honda wasted a great car when they only had 12 valve SOHC lumps in the US 3G. Had Honda included the B20A, the Accord 2.0Si would be the most sought after Honda. Old + Cheap + 160 HP + Torque. A car made back in 86 that would smash a Si, or possibly a GSR. You'd see all the street racer that are loyal to Honda in Accord/Prelude Si's. Plus has the car been released here, people would have taken notice to the 160 HP, and gladly produce more than the 5 aftermarkets parts you can find.

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by diegoaccord
    The A20 is ASS.
    Wait a minute, doesn't YOUR car have a D series in it??

There's a D in Dumbass too.
    -Harvey

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI, 90 Caddie 90 Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by A20A3
    Wait a minute, doesn't YOUR car have a D series in it??

There's a D in Dumbass too.
    Last edited by DanLXI88; 05-07-2004 at 02:21 PM.
    **Some Info on my car can be found here **

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/547146

Vehicle
    BB6 Lude, EG Hatch.
    There is an A in A-series Asskisser, which is you.

There is an A in A-series Asskicker, which is me.

Thank you, come again.

Remember I'm not saying the A is ass because I have a D. I've been saying it since 2001, when I had my 1st 3G, which was before I had a B16A2, or D16Z6. I hated the A when I had my 1st Accord, and I still hate it. It's a fucking lump. It puts out similar numbers to my Z6, but what about A/M? Oh, that's right, you can make your own parts, or have Sean talk you out of a B series swap, so you can buy his expensive shit, just to get stock B-series performance.

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter
    D series is SLOW. MY friend raced me with his civic dx with ex conversion (y8 head, intake and exaust manis, also ex tranny) with a huge catback, punched cat, and the car weighed 2250 lbs (stripped interior) and he only ran 16.5 and hes a decent driver, i pulled a 16.2 with my lxi with less mods than that
    I belive that says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by diegoaccord
    I hated the A when I had my 1st Accord, and I still hate it. It's a fucking lump. It puts out similar numbers to my Z6, but what about A/M? Oh, that's right, you can make your own parts, or have Sean talk you out of a B series swap, so you can buy his expensive shit, just to get stock B-series performance.
    As far as I can tell, the A20 has OK aftermarket support. Diamond makes pistons, Eagle makes rods, Fizenda (?) makes flywheels, there are several making clutches, I'm also sure that Ferrea can make/has made valves, valvesprings and retainers are most likely available, cranks can be custom made (not that the A20-crank is weak or anything), and cam regrinds are offered by numerous companies. What more aftermarket do you need? Is it really neccecary to have 10 different turbokits to choose from, when Seans kit delivers good performance?

About stock performance; the B16A-engine is capable of delivering 150 Newtonmetres of torque & 160 hp@flywheel, and my own A20A4 has 166 Newtonmetres of torque & 122 hp@flywheel, with fantastic pull all the way from 1500 RPM's, I would like to add. A stock Civic EG hatchback /w a B16A takes 7.7 seconds from 0-60 MPH, but with some weightreduction and mild engine modifications I'm sure the 3G can match it in accelleration.

Anyway, I don't like to compare the Accord to a Civic - the Civic is light and agile - made with it's eyes on some performance from the start, while the Accord is heavier and was originally made to be a large (for it's time), roomy, quiet and reliable family sedan.

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyvind Ryeng
    Anyway, I don't like to compare the Accord to a Civic - the Civic is light and agile - made with it's eyes on some performance from the start, while the Accord is heavier and was originally made to be a large (for it's time), roomy, quiet and reliable family sedan.
    way to put it, and that why I like to make my accord fast as hell, cause it was not design for that and no one expects it. It make the perfect sleeper.