Thread: Oil pump shot, I think

LXi User
    Vehicle
    88 Accord LX 88 Accord LXi

Oil pump shot, I think

I wasn't driving so I can only go by what I'm told. On the way home with the LXi, the oil came on. Then alot of clanking noise. After making the turn onto my block the car stalled and coasted to in front of house.

I went out there and checked the oil. It was good. And the fan was running. So then I pulled the valve cover, and started the car for about 20 to 30 seconds. There was a lot of noise and oil sprayed out. Not alot of oil but I'm not sure how much should of sprayed out.

Anyway if the pump is bad, is it worth to change or is the engine already shot? I ask this because a few months ago I went to change the timing belt but couldn't break the crank pulley nut loose. Do I have to get that off to change the pump?

Vehicle
    87 LX
    Unfortunately yes you have to take off the timing belt off to change the oil pump, thats what drives it.
    As long as the bottom end still spins easily you should be allright. You could have a clogged oil passage as well. If I were you I would drain the oil, change the filter and and try running some motor oil flush through the system. Thats a $10 bet that you may want to consider. If that don't owrk then change the timing belt and the pump.
    ------------------

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX Auto AC
    I would try to determine what's causing the noise. You use a stethescope or a long screwdriver. A failed pump wouldn't cause your engine to stall--until it seized up completely.
    Last edited by joebeets; 04-23-2004 at 06:18 PM.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    Ok I just changed the oil and filter. There is a little less noise now but there still is a rattle going on somewhere. It's hard to hear exactly where it's coming from. It sounds like it's more toward the right, by the belts. If an oil pump is going will it make noises like bad bearings?

Vehicle
    87 LX
    Yea that is sounds likely.
    If I were you I would replace the timing belt, tensioner, and the oil pump.
    ------------------

LXi User
    Vehicle
    Another update. I pulled the oil pan. It looks like one of the connecting rod bearings is shot. Is there a way to change both top and bottom bearings with engine in car and oil pan off?

LXi User
    Vehicle
    Never mind I figured it out. I guess it will be a few days before I get the bearings. Then hopefully it will be good to go again.