Thread: Question, Nitrous A20A Bottom End

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd

Question Question, Nitrous A20A Bottom End

I was wondering if I bumped up my nitrous shot from 50 (now) to a 75, would a stock a20a3 bottom end handle it. It is a Nitrous Express Wet Fogger system. I have the jets so it would already be super easy. I ran a 9.6 on the 1/8 last weekend (thought this would be plenty to hand any import their ass) but low and behold a civic hatch runs 9.2 and we can't have that. My modifications include: CAI w/ electic turbo ( pulls a whole 1psi of boost, whoopee), Colts Cam regrind, polished otherwise stock head, venom injectors, aem fpr set to 38 psi but spikes to 42psi (don't really like that, any suggestions?) stock fuel pump, stock bottom end, dc sports header w/ apexi exhaust, nology wires, beru sparkplugs, accel coil, cam timing set 14 degrees advanced (I know, I need an adjustable gear), spark timing advanced all the way w/ distributor (I can find an exact degree w/ my timing gun if needed, but I don't really find it relevant). This is w/ 104 octane (I know this is overkill but its all they sell near the track. I have a b30a5 5 speed transmission with a fidanza flywheel, act street clutch w/ hd pressure plate, stock axles. The a20a3 has 101k miles and is in peak condition. The main thing i'm worried about it, is the rods going if i bump my shot up. I could tolerate messing the rods up eventually and upgrading, I just don't want to throw one out the side of the block. The only other concern might be the axles. Any EXPERT opinions would be appreciated. Please no, I think it will work, I will just disregard them responses. Oh also I finished my supra tailight install in the back and it looks sick as hell. The announcer at the track calls it something different everytime I pull up. If somebody would tell me how to post pics I will.
    In the end...it doesn't even matter.
    88 Lxi, 5spd swap w/ Aasco 8lb flywheel/Cai,AccelCoil,NologyWires,SilverstoneSparks/DC421,ColtCam,Remachined Head&Tb...NitrousWorks 40shot

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    do you mean b20a5?... anyways around here the general shop concensus holds the 50 shot as the biggest shot without upgrades to the bottom end, and from experience with a friends motors not mine, that went over 50 and ended up blowing the head gasket. good luck though with whatever you do... I personally like 0 shot.
    - llia

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    ok, yeah a b20a5 and the flywheel is an aasco, I always go with fidanza but I forgot they didn't make an a20a3 application. I guess I should reread before I post at 12:30 in the morning, Ha. No, I did the head gaskets myself w/ felpro, I'm more worried about rods/ maybe rings (sorta, not really). Thanks for the info.
    88 Lxi, 5spd swap w/ Aasco 8lb flywheel/Cai,AccelCoil,NologyWires,SilverstoneSparks/DC421,ColtCam,Remachined Head&Tb...NitrousWorks 40shot

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    rods should hold up to that shot, but i am not sure if your rings on the pictons would like that. rings on the pictons is the weakest point in our engines.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    if you keep it out of detonation you should be ok. Youre gonna need to upgrade to a walbro 255lph fuel pump, the stock one wont support much over 200hp... and youre getting there now. Otherwise with good tuning (watch your ignition timing) you can probably support a little more power too
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    do you mean b20a5?... anyways around here the general shop concensus holds the 50 shot as the biggest shot without upgrades to the bottom end, and from experience with a friends motors not mine, that went over 50 and ended up blowing the head gasket. good luck though with whatever you do... I personally like 0 shot.
    I second that, unless i have a big ass turbo with a nasty lag, I say say NO to NOS.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    it should hold up OK. I wont guarantee that it will be fine, but i dont see a reason why your motor wont hold up to a 75 shot. Just be careful to not over-rev and you'll be good to go. I just installed an NX kit on another 3g a couple weeks ago and he's been running 75 with no problems yet.

Click here for instructions on how to post pictures
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987-Gen2 Honda Prelude-FF-2.0L-MPFI-4 Cyl-5 Spd-PWR-BLK
    From what I have read here on the board, the people who tested their engines and blew them didnt get much past 210HP on the stock internals. I didnt read anything about the rods going through the block but I did read A LOT about the A20 piston ring lands snapping off the sides of the pistons!

The block is pretty strong and so is the crank. The crank is a nasty super fat hunk of metal compared to some other engines. If you want lotsa power maybe upgrade your pistons and rods and leave the rest. Headgaskets are easy to replace anyway ha ha ha...

OH..and the axles. I dont know if the accord has them but take a look at the Gen-2 (1987) honda prelude SI 1/2 shafts. They are pretty friggn thick for the size of the car. Perhaps they fit your Accord.
    Drive fast and learn fast to drive slow....drive slow and learn slow....that you can drive fast!!!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    thats probably because you cant get more than that from the fuel pump so youll lean out and detonate... or you have too much timing on the bottle.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    If i am right, i believe the crank is nitrated. its pretty chunky and strong. And as Sean said earlier, it should hold up to 300 hp with no mods, and thats pretty friggin strong IMO. Also, the first one to give way is the head gasket and pistons like mentioned, not the bottom end, like the rods or the crank and forget about anything coming out of the block itself.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    burgundy 86 honda accord/ brown 89 chevy caprice wagon
    rods will be ok. problem with a 75shot id dealing with the extar heat. id make a suggestion like running a bit of propane mixed in with the nos shot to help keep the cylinders kewl. if you heat the rings up to much they will but ends and when that happens the ring lands break off. been there done that.
    Want your A series to kick a B series engines ass?email me for detials or check out our site

WWW.ACCORDCENTRAL.COM

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    thanks for your expertise. Anybody want to post pics for me? (or tell me how)