Thread: Those of you with rear discs..

Vehicle
    see user name

Those of you with rear discs..

I was just curious to know what you people think of the rear disc conversion(from SE-i). Do you feel much of a difference in stopping compared to the drums?? Is the performance worth the money and trouble to do the conversion? Is doing the conversion difficult? About how long would it take if every thing went without running into problems. I hear connecting the E-brake is kind of tough. I have been thinking of doing this for a while but don't know if it would be worth the trouble. Any feedback or comments would be greatly welcomed!!
    Thanks

Peace out..
    89 Lx-i
    Performance: K&N filter,custom CAI, Accel coil, MSD 6aL ignition, magnecor wires, high flow injectors, FPR, sport exhaust,Tokico springs/struts
    Appearance: white gauges, side markers, headlight conversion, clear bumper signal/fog light conversion, SE-i center armrest and cupholder, SE-i leather seats
    17" ADRs with 205/40/17 khumos
    future plans: 16" or 17" rims(can scratch that one off the list 9-12-02), headers-high flow cat.-cat back piping. Rear disc brakes from SE-i, reground cam.

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3
    your not gunna notice a diff on street conditions..drums work good if set up and maintained just like anything else

where your really gunna notice the rear discs is on the track..and the only real difference is the brake fade is reduced..but again your not gunna experience brake fade on road conditions (less your a maniac like me)

however if you have time and $$ go nuts..they do look pretty cool

Vehicle
    1989 LXI Coupe Kswap, 1989 LXI Bswap
    the only reson i did mine was because i tihkn it looks better. i did one side wile my boy did the other and it took us about 45-50 mins, it was very easy.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Originally posted by pimp86LX
    your not gunna notice a diff on street conditions..drums work good if set up and maintained just like anything else

where your really gunna notice the rear discs is on the track..and the only real difference is the brake fade is reduced..but again your not gunna experience brake fade on road conditions (less your a maniac like me)

however if you have time and $$ go nuts..they do look pretty cool
    So what was honda's logic behind going to the extra expence of installing rear disks? Why did ford put rear disks in place or rear drums on the SVT focus? Manufactuers are WAY to greedy to spend more money for those parts without due cause.

Reducing fade is just one part of the benefits. Rear drums also have drawbacks. The above relates to the necessity to pander to people who have no idea how to properly modulate brake pressure while manuvering. To an experienced driver, disks are better since they can modulate the brakes to keep all four tires unlocked and stop in impressive times - but the average person can't/won't. To make it safer in panic situations, overall braking performance decreases - as a result of having drums in the back.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

Vehicle
    2005 Mazda 3
    if you panic you shouldn't be driving

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i HB 00 Prelude
    Can't remember how long it took me but it was well worth it. Not only in performance but in ease of maintence(disk are way easier). I am about to replace my master cylinder which has gone bad and I think was going bad when I first installed the rears. So I'll let you know if it makes it better. I did get a difference with rears but I also have race pads on drilled rotor and braided lines.

Vehicle
    88 Hybrid Accord LX-i
    Worth it in all aspecs.
    http://vtecnos.tripod.com

Member Since 7-9-01

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i, 00 Civic EX
    could someone make a how-to?
    89 Silverstone Metallic LXi, custom Air Intake, DC Sports 4-2-1 header, A'PEXi N1 exhaust with 2.25" pipe, ACT clutch, Xenon body kit

3geez member since July 11, 2001

Vehicle
    2000 Audi S4 Twin Turbo/ 2007 Honda Fit Sport/ 2010 Ford Flex Limited
    I did mine because, well because I wanted to---all right? Geez.
    Also the hatch told me to do it in my dreams, just like the turbo stuff. Hehe

1-11-2014 Dyno Day
    587 - AWHP
    454.6 -TQ
    http://youtu.be/TqCtTbjQqFg

www.tvme.info

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    lol:lol Justin
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

Accord of the Year - 2006

Originally posted by 88turboaccord
    I did mine because, well because I wanted to---all right? Geez.
    Also the hatch told me to do it in my dreams, just like the turbo stuff. Hehe
    The hatch told u :lol

I did mine there was a difference in stoppin not much but noticable. X-drilled rotors look really good at the back corners too.

Vehicle
    see user name
    Hey, thanks for all your comments people. I will probably end up doing the conversion but not until I get new rims. I am still running stock lxi rims so you wouldn't be able to see the rear discs anyway..

About the slotted or x drilled rotors.. Are there direct replacement ones out there for our cars or do you need to use ones from different models..

Thanks again

Peace out y'all
    89 Lx-i
    Performance: K&N filter,custom CAI, Accel coil, MSD 6aL ignition, magnecor wires, high flow injectors, FPR, sport exhaust,Tokico springs/struts
    Appearance: white gauges, side markers, headlight conversion, clear bumper signal/fog light conversion, SE-i center armrest and cupholder, SE-i leather seats
    17" ADRs with 205/40/17 khumos
    future plans: 16" or 17" rims(can scratch that one off the list 9-12-02), headers-high flow cat.-cat back piping. Rear disc brakes from SE-i, reground cam.

Vehicle
    1986 Prelude 2.0si turbo - 1990 Integra moutain carver - 1993 Nissan 300ZXTT w/ more power than god
    Yes, there are available rotors my name for our card. Check on NOPI for Powerstop and Brembo rotors.
    I am the wrath of the server you curse and the demon of the directory you cry about - making life hell for users, one deleted file at a time.

Vehicle
    1998 VT Commodore 50th Anniversary Edition
    well Ive never noticed the difference, well since mine had rear discs stock...so neh!

sorry, just like showing off....time for bed
    Cocaine's A Helluva Drug! - Rick James
    I really fracked things up for you Bill - Colonel Tigh
    Girl we couldn't get much Higher! - Light My Fire