Thread: fi swap

Vehicle
    97 f-150, 1989 accord dx (broke), 91 lx wagon

fi swap

hey....i'd like to fi my car and i found a AUTO lxi and i have a manual dx....

i think i've heard that it won't work for some parts are ment for manuals are autos....somebody please help me out on this...
    dylan
    1991 honda accord lx
    rockin the SOHC again for now
    h23/vtec in the works.

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    im sure its all the same... the only thing that might differ is the ECU, but i doubt it... i also found a rotten LXi with like 100k miles... its a virgin... anyway, its also an auto, but im gettin it soon and doin a FI swap... unless i get a job and start driving the new hatch right away.. otherwise ill have 2 month off the road to work on her

Travis

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    the only diff between manual and auto EFI is black box under the hood and ECU. there may be other little things, but overall you can swap EFI from auto to your car with no problem.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1991 Subaru XT6 AWD, 1988 Subaru XT6 AWD
    Drive up to Illinois and you can have a 130k mile motor that runs perfect out of an 89 SEi for $100.

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89
    Quote Originally Posted by shepherd79
    the only diff between manual and auto EFI is black box under the hood and ECU. there may be other little things, but overall you can swap EFI from auto to your car with no problem.
    Do you know whats different with the ECU? I'm still using the old auto ECU though I've converted to 5 speed. Black box? Are you talking about the vacuum box? In that case what differences are there to them?

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle
    87 LX
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdane
    Do you know whats different with the ECU? I'm still using the old auto ECU though I've converted to 5 speed. Black box? Are you talking about the vacuum box? In that case what differences are there to them?
    Yea the black box is the emissions box.

I.C. Thats a good amount of work involved. You gotta pull the dash and redo all the wiring. It took me an hour and a half to pull a dash yesterday, and we were cutting the wires to go faster.
    ------------------

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    I got a dash out in 2 hours with unplugging the connectors. It will be a time consuming process. The fuel lines are kind of a pain too because they're all intertwined with each other. You pretty much have to pull the return line to get the feed line out. It's a lot of work but I think it's worth it.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    the wiring harness is different but you have to remember that the tank/pump/fuel system is all different. It can be done its just a pain
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89
    Quote Originally Posted by kroy
    Yea the black box is the emissions box.
    Heh I know, but I wanted to make sure he wasnt talking about some kind of other box.

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    no one knows what is th diff between auto and manual ECU. but the part numbers are different.
    with emission box. well if you donwload a honda manual from paul's website you can see it for yourself. it has one extra sensor/solenoid inside thebox.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    I swaped an auto harness and ECU when I did my swap and it works fine. There is a difference in the emission box but I nver saw any negative affect from that. Also you have to cross the shifter harness on the auto. There is two power and two ground wire that go to the neutral and drive switch inorder for the car to start. You just cross the power to power and ground to ground, that way the auto ECU thinks it is not in gear. (Hench the difference in the auto and manual ECU)
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    http://89accord.netfirms.com/eficonversion.htm click on this link for my efi conversion info.

Vehicle
    1991 Civic STD
    ok, for those who don't have one... i strongly recommend you buy a shop manual for 3gs, i recommend haynes or chilton. i have both.
    they're very good for diagrams and such-like if you want to know what your fuel system looks like and what you'll be dealing with.
    this is of course only directed at people who don't already have one.

Of course I'm lazy. If I wanted to work on my car I'd have gotten a DSM
    Daily Drivers Done Right

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    Chilton and Haynes are garbage compared to the actual shop manual used by Honda. That's been the best book purchase I ever made.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpenguin
    ok, for those who don't have one... i strongly recommend you buy a shop manual for 3gs, i recommend haynes or chilton. i have both.
    they're very good for diagrams and such-like if you want to know what your fuel system looks like and what you'll be dealing with.
    this is of course only directed at people who don't already have one.
    i dont recommend chiltons or haynes. But i strongly recommend to put that 10 bux or so in ur pocket and download this http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html . this is an actual honda shop manual with everything precise and specific and has much greater detail than any other manual.

Vehicle
    1991 Civic STD
    i agree those are better...
    for the experienced mechanic.
    but the problem with those, (and chilton to some extent) is that they list everything you should do in a step-by-step with too much detail.
    with haynes it's a little easier.
    but if a book tells you to "remove the TCS wires from the transmission" for example, that doesn't help you if you don't know what that is...
    the best maintenance book i've ever read was called "how to keep your honda alive" by john muir publications.
    it only deals with really old-school hondas but the information contained in it is really helpful even if you don't have a pre 1980 honda (or don't even have a honda at all)
    it's not exactly necessary for me anymore, but it was priceless before because of it's simplicity. and i still keep it around now in case something gets a little complicated.

Of course I'm lazy. If I wanted to work on my car I'd have gotten a DSM
    Daily Drivers Done Right

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDX89
    Chilton and Haynes are garbage compared to the actual shop manual used by Honda. That's been the best book purchase I ever made.
    Yea I highly recomend the Honda Service Manual or Pauls if you have an 86-87. Paul doesn't have the manual for the 88-89 style so you will have to get the manual. You can get a manual on ebay for about $30.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.