Thread: Propane Induction

Vehicle
    88 accord lx (for show) / 87 accord lx (for go)

Question Propane Induction

now, I sell insurance and I have a guy insured who has an 89 ford pu diesel with propane hooked up like NOS. I don't trust NOS but propane might be cool. I wanna know what yall know / think espicially A20A1

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Mine wasn't hooked up like Nistrous port injection though, I just bleed some out before the carb barrels... I think propane has a cooling effect in the combustion chamber... I didn't get much power from the propane but it wasn't under much pressure.
    - llia

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    if you think, propane is a fuel. so adding too much fuel will cause the car to die.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    i've never seen propane injection used on a gasoline engine or any engine that uses spark plugs as a detenation. only on diesels have i seen it, maybe using compression as detenation has something to do with it. i'd say that would be cheaper than nos, but i've just never seen it used on a conventional engine. its possible, but i dont know. would be interesting to know about that.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

SEi User
    Vehicle
    burgundy 86 honda accord/ brown 89 chevy caprice wagon
    i use propane to add ocatne and becuase it has a good bit of thermal stability that gasoline does not. not to nention that it burns more evenly and at cooler tempatures.it will also help to recude knock.
    Want your A series to kick a B series engines ass?email me for detials or check out our site

WWW.ACCORDCENTRAL.COM

Vehicle
    '86 LX Sedan (gone), '89 LX sedan
    I didn't think propane could work on a gasoline engine. So far, I've only seen it used on diesels.
    - Steve -

My Accord

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    I have seen trucks that run strictly off propane.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i *** 2002 Mustang GT
    so what is the gain out of using propane in our cars? and why would you do it?
    "Seriously, I have a half o' pack of Rolaids in my dipper" -Stewie (Family Guy)

Car Pics
    vBGarage

Vehicle
    more explosive fuel - higher combustion, but I've never seen it in a gasoline engine, it should work even if the spark doesn't ignite it the heat would giving a longer blow per stroke.......in theory

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    in europe and asia, you can buy propane conversion kit. it will convert your car EFI or carb to run on propane only. you will have propane tank in the trunk, and you won't see any gains in power. actually running stricly on propane will decrease your HP.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    i've done a little looking around and propane has 110 octane rating whereas pump fuel has average of 93. adding the propane at around 3500 rpm should give a pretty good kick right? just working as a timed octane booster. Sean, how did you hook it up? I've got a carb and I know it's possible and I'm going to try, but any ideas on the best way one would?

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by shepherd79
    in europe and asia, you can buy propane conversion kit. it will convert your car EFI or carb to run on propane only. you will have propane tank in the trunk, and you won't see any gains in power. actually running stricly on propane will decrease your HP.
    my dad had one of those conversion kits he used on his vans back in the 70's when gas was short. He said he could convert the engine to propane in an afternoon using all the stock parts.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    1991 Eclipse GSX AWD TURBO
    here is a site that sells Propane injections kits for turbo cars. http://www.importpoweronline.com/propanecontent.html

It will help all that don't understand how it works and what it's used for.

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock!
    [email protected] Englishtown, 4/24/04
    2005 It's 12's or bust!! All BOOST all the time!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX, 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z-24
    but there's a major plus to propane, it runs a lot cleaner. i've seen vehicles that ran on propane and he never had to perform an oil change, the oil just never got dirty with it. unfortunately he wanted to convert it back to gasoline and as soon as he did, about a month later, the engine was toast (had about 300k on the clock). it's just a better fuel.
    Brendan
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/520751/1

Vehicle
    do you know how they did it? I've got a spare 3g to play around with and I really wanna try it
    *** If your not willing to spend the energy to get what you want, at least spend the energy dealing with what you have ***

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 honda Accord LX

Re: Propane Induction

if they used propane injection, they were most likely diesels. diesels can gain 100+ hp from propane , as well as NOS, because of their inability to detonate. this is also why you can see diesel trucks running 40-50psi no problem. and lastly, diesels, unlike gasoline, make MORE power when th A/F is rich. you cant run a diesel too lean without completely stripping the lines of fuel
    Last edited by hagens89; 09-05-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: my computer screwed up the first message

DX User

Re: Propane Induction

As has been said by several already in this thread, propane is indeed a viable and very good fuel for a traditional gas engine. There will not be much difference in power but it is a very clean burning fuel. It is pretty much the same concept as the natural gas Civic GX. It burns very clean and does indeed reduce the need to change the oil. If you do some research you will find that natural gas engines typically last much longer than gas engines. Also, a lot of off road guys with cars convert to propane b/c it allows the engine to run at angles that would empty the fuel bowl of a gas carb. Anyway just my input. Didn't mean to ramble