Thread: Factory Amp went to shit.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord SEi

Smile Factory Amp went to shit.

I had one front speaker working and on the other front one, it was about half as load with lots of static. Nothing coming from the rear speakers. I thought I would just remove the amp and just use the factory head unit. I tried for hours to figure that damn factory wiring out. Nothing I did seemed to work. I went to Circut City and got a new Alpine head unit and ran the speaker wires from that directly to each speaker. It was a bitch pulling wire to the door speakers. It took me close to 10 hours to install and run the new wires and put eveything back together. In the end I finally have a functional stereo.

Vehicle
    1991 Subaru XT6 AWD, 1988 Subaru XT6 AWD
    Ah, the things we go through for car audio...

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEi Coupe 5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by kruddler
    I had one front speaker working and on the other front one, it was about half as load with lots of static. Nothing coming from the rear speakers. I thought I would just remove the amp and just use the factory head unit. I tried for hours to figure that damn factory wiring out. Nothing I did seemed to work. I went to Circut City and got a new Alpine head unit and ran the speaker wires from that directly to each speaker. It was a bitch pulling wire to the door speakers. It took me close to 10 hours to install and run the new wires and put eveything back together. In the end I finally have a functional stereo.
    I am having similar problems with mine. Basically, the audio cuts in and out and I have tons of static. I am torn between finding a replacement amp ar doing like you and just starting over with a new HU and speakers. FWIW, I found a site that repairs the farctory stuff althought it is a little pricey...

http://carstereohelp.com/honda.htm

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord SEi
    I went to several junk yards to see if I could get a replacement amp. There were none available. I really did not want to spend alot of money to fix this, but I could not take sound coming from one speaker anymore. I went to circut city and for $149 I can get a new head unit with a cd player that is alot better than the factory. The only thing that stunk was it taking so long to install.

It was also fun smashing that factory amp. I hated it!!! Glad its gone and even glader it's gone and smashed.