Thread: What do you think?: '89LX

DX User

What do you think?: '89LX

I found a local 3GEN for sale that I saw today. It's a '89 LX 5spd with 143K on the clock. They're asking $1200.

Here's a pic:

The Good
    -VERY clean interior (no rips or stains)
    -AC converted and works
    -Engine runs strong, no blue exhaust cloud
    -Trans and clutch feel good
    -Minimal rust around rear wheel wells (yes, this is "good" in MI)

The Bad
    -Loud belt sound when driving - seems louder with more throttle and when turning (very annoying)
    -Creaky suspension (the springs/struts looked rusted to me)
    -Front bumper is slightly misaligned
    -Power antenna doesn't work (stuck "up")
    -Passenger window is about to die (bad motor?)
    -Bad tint job (would remove)

I ran a CARFAX on it and everything checked out. No accidents reported to CARFAX, no odometer roll-backs, no lemon-law buybacks, and at least 2 owners (9 registrations). Looks like it started out in CA, moved to OH in '95 and up here to MI last year.

So, would you buy it?

When I got back from the test drive a different salesman came up to me and asked what I thought. I said "not bad for a grand, but it needs some work". He said, "they're going as low as $1,000?" (they're asking $1200). I said no, but was just stating it's a thousand-dollar car. He told me to offer that because it's been sitting for awhile (they bought it from auction 6 weeks ago - thank you CARFAX).

Based on what I've said above, what do you think? What could be the source of that noise I mentioned when driving (sounded like a bad belt or the power steering, I don't know). The body is pretty good for Michigan and the interior is great, but it needs some suspension work (how much for springs and shocks for these cars?).

What's it worth?

Vehicle
    '86 LX Sedan (gone), '89 LX sedan
    Well it seems pretty good for the price. See if you can maybe talk it down a little it's always worth it. As for springs I picked up some brand new front springs for $109 CDN.
    - Steve -

My Accord

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    wait dude? wasn't there another thread of this car?
    3geez for life.

DX User
    The initial thread was about a different car , but I mentioned this one in it as well (before I went to go see it). Now that I have, I thought I'd give it its own thread so everyone isn't confused on which one I'm talking about.

I'm still trying to decide what to do. It was fun driving it (the first time I've driven a 3G since '99) and it seemed to be pretty solid (good body, interior, etc) but that sound bothers me. It sounds like a loose belt, but I'm not sure. With 143K miles, what belt(s) need replacing on these that this could be? Or, does the sound I describe make you think of something else?

Any help would be great, everyone.

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer
    I'd over them 1k if they can fix the sound.