Thread: The History of the Accord (Part Two)

LX User
    Vehicle
    5 Speed 89 LXi Coupe

The History of the Accord (Part Two)

1986-1989

Accord took a big jump up-market with the introduction of the 1986 version. Bigger and better was the theme, with an increase of nearly 6 inches in the wheelbase and 3 inches in overall length. Weight for an LX Sedan increased nearly 200 pounds; from 2,341 lbs. for a 1985 to 2,529 lbs. for the new 1986. The new Accord also had a much sleeker look, with pop-up headlights (unusual on a sedan) and much better aerodynamics. Even the rain gutters were flush with the body in order to make the car quieter and more aero-efficient. Sedans came in base DX, luxury LX and loaded LXi trim levels. The two-door hatchback came in either DX or LXi guise. The top dog LXi included all the features of the LX (such as air conditioning and power everything) and added fuel injection, alloy wheels and, on the sedan, a power moonroof.

To handle the bigger, heavier Accords, the engine was increased in size, from 1.8 to 2.0- liters and produced either 98 horsepower (in the carbureted DX and LX trims) or 110 ponies in the fuel-injected LXi. An all-new suspension featured "double-wishbone" design at all four wheels. Derived from Formula 1 racecar chassis design, this setup allowed precise handling (by always keeping the tire perpendicular to the road surface) while still delivering a comfortable, slightly firm ride. As the family sedan battle between Toyota and Honda heated up, it seemed that those interested in sporty handling went for the Accord, while those who weren't looking for a poor man's BMW and who preferred a softer ride chose the Camry.

Pricing for the 1986 Accords ranged from $8,429 for a DX Hatchback Coupe to $12,675 for the LXi Sedan.

1987 saw no changes to the wildly popular Accord.

Catering to those who prefer a formal coupe body style with a trunk, an Accord Coupe joined the hatchback and sedan for 1988. As with the hatchback, the new notchback two-door was available in either base DX or loaded LXi trim. Very minor tweaks to the sedan's taillights and bumpers were the lone visual changes for the '88 Accord. Functionally, a bump in horsepower for the LXi engine (from 110 to 120 hp) improved the performance of the top Accords. By now Honda's reputation for building extremely well-built, reliable and long-lasting cars was common knowledge, and sales of over 360,000 units for 1988 confirmed the public's affection for the Accord.

In accord with Accord tradition, Honda brought out an SE-i version of the Accord to mark the last year of a generation, in this case 1989. Chock-a-block with luxury features, some highlights of this special Accord included plush leather seats, a high-performance Bose stereo/cassette sound system and remote stereo controls located on the steering wheel. Also setting the SE-i apart from ordinary Accords were 14-inch alloy wheels, four-wheel disc brakes and bronze-tinted glass. The other Accords were unchanged for 1989.

1990-1993

The 1990 Accord was completely revamped, inside and out. The fourth-generation Accord grew in size, power and popularity (in fact, the Accord was the best-selling car in America for three years in a row, 1990-1992.) The hatchback was dropped, leaving a notchback coupe and a four-door sedan as available choices. Wheelbase was increased by nearly 5 inches (now 107.1 inches), and weight went up, though even the heaviest Accord, the EX four-door, still weighed less than 3000 pounds. Styling in and out was very clean and purposeful, with a low beltline, large greenhouse (window area) and slim roof pillars that minimized blind spots. The uncluttered and chiseled appearance of the '90 Accord gave an overall impression of quality and solidity. This notion was confirmed when one simply hopped in the car and shut the door or turned a knob to put on the headlights. Doors shut with a solid "thunk" and switchgear had a precise and satisfying action.

In keeping with Honda's logical system of offering a few versions of each car with increasing standard features (as opposed to the American car makers' philosophy of offering a confusing array of options and option packages), three trim levels were available. One could choose a basic DX, a well-equipped LX (which, as before, had power windows/locks/mirrors, cruise control, A/C and a decent stereo cassette all standard) or the top-shelf EX (which added a power moonroof, alloy wheels and 5 more horsepower to an LX).

On the mechanical side, carburetors were history, as fuel injection was made standard on all Accords. The new 2.2-liter engine pumped out 125 horsepower in DX and LX trims, and 130 horses in the EX. Other changes included electronic control for the automatic transmission and motorized front shoulder belts (the latter to satisfy government safety requirements).

1990 Accords ranged in price from $12,145 for the DX Coupe to $16,595 for an EX Sedan.

Honda finally catered to those who loved the Accord but needed more luggage space by bringing out an Accord Wagon for 1991, which could be had in LX or EX trim levels. The wagon provided a total cargo volume (with the second seat flipped down) of nearly 65 cubic feet. And even with that seat up, there was still nearly 35 cubic feet available -- more than double the capacity of the sedan's trunk. Curiously, driver's side airbags were fitted to the wagons (which as a result did not need to use the motorized front shoulder belts) but not the sedans. And in a break with tradition, Honda brought out an SE (the "i" was dropped because all Accords were now injected) version, even though this was not the last year for this iteration of the Accord. The SE gilded the lily with leather seats, a more powerful engine (140 horsepower against the EX's 130) and antilock brakes, which were a first for the Accord. Capping the changes for this year was the addition of color-keyed mirrors on the LX and EX.

Feeling more generous, Honda equipped all 1992 Accords with a driver's side airbag, eliminating the somewhat annoying motorized shoulder belts of the sedans. This year, the SE was dropped from the team and the EX benefited by getting the 140 horsepower motor and four-wheel disc brakes with ABS (antilock braking system) formerly fitted to the SE. Revisions to the grille and bumpers were so subtle as to be barely noticeable. A more obvious update was fashioned on the taillights (except on the wagon), which made it easier to tell a '92 Accord Coupe or Sedan from its '91 counterpart.

Returning to business as usual, Honda brought back the SE for the fourth generation's last year, 1993. In addition to the expected leather seating and Bose stereo, the '93 SE was also available as a coupe version and (inexplicably) the sedan but not the coupe received a passenger's side airbag. A 10th anniversary LX Sedan model shared some features with the upper-end Accords, such as the dual airbags, alloy wheels and ABS.

1994-1997

The 1994 Accord was improved over the '93 in many ways; more power for all engines, a refined automatic transmission, increased safety by way of standard dual front airbags on all versions and the compliance with 1997 side-impact crash standards three years early. A quieter ride and improved handling were benefits of a stiffer structure and a more aerodynamic body. But the new body, with its flared-out hindquarters and high tail, didn't win approval from some who felt it looked somewhat chunky (especially from a rear three-quarter viewpoint) when compared to the lean '90 to '93 era Accord. Along with the new body, DX versions gained color-keyed bumpers (in place of the former dark gray ones) and a right-hand side view mirror.

The '94 engines were upgraded, with each version receiving a 5 horsepower bump in output, meaning 130 horses now motivated the DX and LX models and EXs boasted 145 ponies. More importantly, the EX's engine featured Honda's "VTEC" (Variable valve Timing and lift, Electronic Control) system. VTEC promoted more efficient "breathing" at all engine speeds, meaning there was plenty of power available at low rpm, as well as a satisfying rush as the tach needle sped toward redline. A new "Grade Logic" electronic control system for the automatic transmission prevented the gearbox from "hunting" (the annoying tendency for some automatics to cycle back and forth between two gears while ascending a hill) and instead would keep the car in the lower gear until the grade leveled off. While going down a steep hill, this tranny would downshift (as opposed to remaining in a higher gear) to allow engine braking to assist in keeping the car's speed in check. And for '94, the DX and LX could be equipped with ABS, as it was made optional for those models.

Pricing for the 1994 Accord ranged from $14,130 for the DX two-door to $21,550 for an EX four-door with leather interior.
    New Black Paint, Custom Gauges, Custom Interior Lighting, NEw Floor matts YEAHH!!!, JVC MP3 Head, Kenwod 6x9"s, Custom Mesh Grille,
    White Rims by Spring (17"s)

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i coupe, Auto
    makes me even prouder to own an Accord...

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX Sedan
    Someone save this stuff for the 86-89accord.com archives.

This is some good-ass info for the website : )

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar
    that bump in horsepower in the 88 lxi was mostly in the exaust manifold, i've got the story around here somewhere. honda improved the airflow through the manifold. that's why ther's one on my dx. that's got to be one of the least know secrets around here. i had read that somewhere before and researched it. this is only the second time i've heard it mentioned. i'm not sure if it's visible in any of my pictures but that's why my o2 sensor is on the wrong side of the manifold for a dx.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 08-10-2005 at 06:53 PM.

Vehicle
    I know,I know, I think i'm going to give up for tonight. still some good info about the manifold.

Vehicle
    Traded in: 1988 Accord LX New car: 04 Jetta GLI
    man, your such a goddamn post whore....good info none the less, I dont know why this was never a sticky...
    Kevin

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by 88accordalltheway
    man, your such a goddamn post whore....good info none the less, I dont know why this was never a sticky...
    sorry about that,just tired haven't slept in two days.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 08-10-2005 at 07:20 PM.

Vehicle
    its alright bud, go take some nyquil.
    Kevin

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Read everything about the history of the Accord

Ok you guys, you want to read everything about the History of the Accord? Just click on the link below.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...rticleId=46009

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    I thought it might be you, bringing back this thread.
    - llia

Vehicle
    nice find, what would this board do without you dereck!
    Last edited by 88accordalltheway; 08-10-2005 at 11:37 PM.
    Kevin

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by A20A1
    I thought it might be you, bringing back this thread.
    Wooo, it's not me waking up the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by 88accordalltheway
    nice find, what would this board do without you dereck!
    I just try to help out as much as I can. lol
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 08-11-2005 at 12:22 AM.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    I know who it is. I just happened to post beneath you.
    - llia

Vehicle
    someone need to make this a sticky,the history of our cars never gets old.