Thread: Busted PCV Valve

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/Honda/Accord DX

Busted PCV Valve

Well I am off to another wonderful day. I trying to replace my PCV valve this morning and when I go to pull it out it breaks off. Then when I am trying to get the rest of it out it falls inside the intake. What will happen if I leave the rest of the old valve inside the intake. I am pretty sure it is nothing but the plastic pieces left but you never know for sure. Any help will be appreciated cause I really don't want to pull the intake for something like this.
    Thanks In Advance,

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    ok, since you have carb, you have to pull that piece out.
    if you look on theback of your motor, you will see that PCV valve conected to 2 black boxes. they are vertical.
    well, those boxes don't have anything inside except the little barriers that keep the oil from comming from the bottom of your oil pan.
    if you don't get the that piece out it may eventually fall down to oil pan or it can block the oil gases from coming up and that is not good.
    Alex.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/Honda/Accord DX
    Isn't funny how some of the simple jobs become a nightmare. So what your saying is the remainder of the valve went into the black box on the back of the engine not the inside of the intake. If that is the case it should be easier than pulling the intake manifold. Looks like I will be working on my day off to straigten this mess out.
    Thank You,

LX User
    Vehicle
    1993 Acura Integra B18A1
    yeah good luck, I F'd my pcv valve grommet up bad and now the car runs like a piece!
    Post your resolution to the problem I'm sure someone along with myself would like to know how it turned out.
    "I'll head back to the neverland ranch with a peanut butter jelly chiken tuna sandwhich.."

Vehicle
    87 Accord LX, 93 MX6 LS
    Isn't the pcv valve metallic.....ie. MAGNETIC?? Try using one of those telescoping magnetic grabbers that is small enough to get into the hole, and small enough not to be attracted to everything. I have a small one that is great, the magnet on the end swivels and is only about the diameter of a pencil. Just a thought...I've used mine to grab alot of lost nuts/screws, so it might be worth a shot.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/Honda/Accord DX
    Quote Originally Posted by IN_ONE_ACCORD
    Isn't the pcv valve metallic.....ie. MAGNETIC?? Try using one of those telescoping magnetic grabbers that is small enough to get into the hole, and small enough not to be attracted to everything. I have a small one that is great, the magnet on the end swivels and is only about the diameter of a pencil. Just a thought...I've used mine to grab alot of lost nuts/screws, so it might be worth a shot.
    The valve (Internals) is the only part that is metal the outside is plastic. I have already tried the magnet with no luck also right inside the manifold it has a 90 degree bend which makes it hard to get anything in there. I am pretty sure all of the metal parts came out and just the plastic housing is what I am unable to get. If shepard79 is correct it fell down into the hose that leads to the black canistor on the backside of the engine. Hopefully I will have enoguh ambition tomorrow and pull it apart to get it out. I will keep you all posted of my progress.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988/Honda/Accord DX

Conclusion

Well I got the remainder of the busted PCV valve out of the canistor but I busted another part (Go figure). The Tube that goes from the canistor to the manifold which is the grommet that holds the PCV valve in place broke on me when I pulled it out. The real kicker is that I really don't think it would have hurt anything the way it was but you never know.
    This was not an easy job to get the canistor out either. This is one of those parts that you should have the engine out to remove it. Of course I will not be able to get it back together today since it is Memorial Day and no dealers are open. Hopefully tomorrow someone will have it in stock and I can get it back together tomorrow night. Since I am at it I am going to replace my oil filter housing gasket cause it is leaking also.
    Anyways in closing a little word to the wise when replacing your PCV valve handle with care when pulling on it so it don't break and you wind up in the same position I am in.