Thread: overheated...

DX User

Unhappy overheated...

alright, so i found out i had a small hole in a coolant hose that was spraying coolant everywhere. i decided to fix it myself because the garage i took it to said they wouldn't do it because there were too many hoses and other crap to take apart just to get at the defective hose. i got a hose from autozone and it turned out to be a little bit too big in diameter and coolant was still coming out a little. i'm not sure why it didn't fit perfect because that's what they pulled from their computer. i had to drive the car about 10 miles away with the hose still messed up. i filled the radiator up with water before i left. there was still some coolant left in it as well. i was right down the road from my destination when i started loosing power and seeing a bunch of white smoke coming out from under my hood. the car then lost complete power and i coasted to a pull over, popped the hood and tons of smoke was coming out. i sat for about an hour and then decided to walk to my destination and wait for the engine to cool down before filling it up with water again. i got it to start, but it would rev up to around 2500RPMs and then shut off. i ended up having to hold the gas in the whole time to keep it running to get to my destination.

what i am wondering is, did i seriously mess up the engine with it overheating and shutting off? i had no idea it was overheating because apparently my temp gauge only goes up to the middle and no further than the middle. no warning lights or anything came on either, so i'm guessing they are burned out. it was just a slow power loss and then shut right off and smoked. i want to know the worst that could be wrong. i'm probably going to dump this car and i just put $900 into it for brakes, axles, and all this other crap i needed to drive it safely.

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    i dunno what exactly you could have done to it. i've had the problem before. one of my coolant hoses busted. it made white smoke arise from under the hood. that's just coolant turned into steam because its boiling hot, and also it may have sprayed on the hot engine. i drove mine trying to get home and the engine overheated so bad that it seized up. but i was very lucky and it didnt fuck anything up. i'm still driving it every day, no problems, still has good power. not a monster, but ya know. i'd tink maybe over heating your engine may have scratched up the cylinder walls and that'll make you loose compression. good luck with your car, tell us any other stuff that can explain your situation.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    As soon as you have a coolant leak, you really can't trust the temp gauge... Hows your oil?

Parts store never seem to list the parts correctly, I get parts ment for the prelude when I ask for the accord.
    Which hose was it?
    - llia

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i *** 2002 Mustang GT
    check your oil and see if its looks like chocolat milk, a light brown milky texture and also, if there is any water left see if there is oil in your water. i willing to bet $100 dollars you have a warped or cracked head so get ready to spend around 500-1000 to get it repaired. good luck.
    "Seriously, I have a half o' pack of Rolaids in my dipper" -Stewie (Family Guy)

Car Pics
    vBGarage

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    or $150 to do it yourself... thought I'm only estimating how the new gasket and shaving the head is
    - llia

Vehicle
    if its not cracked anyway, and if he doesnt know what was wrong with it then i doubt he can change a head. no offence but thats kinda advanced for a beginner. again, NO OFFENCE, i was a beginner once too. if you do decide to do it yourself get some help or get a chilton and follow the direction exactly.
    Last edited by 86LXItooFAST4me; 06-04-2004 at 01:21 PM.

Car Pics
    vBGarage

DX User
    well, i checked it out this morning. i apparently busted a fuel line too, which i am assuming is why the car was just shutting off and why i had to two foot it. it wasn't completely busted off, but just about. i put a new one on and it appears to be running fine. it isn't shutting off at least at idle or when i put it into gear. i am waiting for the coolant hose to come in tomorrow morning. after i install that i can take it for a ride to see if anything is majorly wrong with the engine. it sounds like it did before, and appears to have the same power, but i won't know for sure until i drive it on the road. i was just a little freaked out because i just put $900 into it. i definately wouldn't want to change the head myself. a shop tried doing the timing on my VW and bent all the valves...this was roughly 3 months after a had a big cam put in and the head ported and polished with a 3 angle valve job. i was a little pissed to say the least and they wouldn't take the blame for it and there wasn't much i could do except pay to get the head rebuilt again. the VW is fixed now, but i still have to get it inspected, which is the reason i have the accord now. i paid under $900 for it, but the carb needed to be replaced roughly 3 months after i got it along with the cv joints, wheel bearings, brake cylinder, and brake work all around. so, i already have more money into it than what i paid for it. i just want to get as much use out of it as i can. it seems like it might run fine after i get the coolant hose back on. i'll have to get a compression test afterwards just to make sure.

DX User
    i fixed the coolant and fuel lines and the car seems to be running like it was before. the only problem i am having now is tons of white/grey smoke pouring out the exhaust when i start it up, which makes me think the head gasket is shot. it doesn't smoke after it's warmed up when i am driving it though. i popped the hood when i got home to check the engine out and there was some smoke coming from the intake manifold on the left where a hose is connected that comes from the intake. the hose had some cloth stuff around it that had oil on it and it appeared to only be smoking right at the connection. the exhaust doesn't seem to smoke all the time, but i've only driven it a couple of times since it overheated. i heard it could also just be condensation in the exhaust...could this happen from filling the radiator up with too much water/coolant? the coolant hose that broke was on the right side of the carb under a bunch of other lines that connected to a junction block. how could i know for sure if its the head gasket or not? if it is the head gasket, how long could i drive the car for without getting it fixed as long as i keep water/coolant in it? any other suggestions are appreciated as well.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    THE EGR PIPE????

if it's small skinny metal tube with a white covering and a spiral coiling of metal holding it in place then that is the EGR pipe.
    - llia

DX User
    i'll take pictures later and post them. i think the head gasket is gone though because the exhaust has been smoking on the highway and when i take turns too fast. it's not constant, but does it every once in awhile. i dont believe it smoked at all on my way to work though which is a 45 minute drive.
    Last edited by ztron; 06-07-2004 at 01:27 PM.

Vehicle
    i beat you cracked your head, but are you loseing water still?

Car Pics
    vBGarage

DX User
    i'm not sure if it's losing water or coolant...i haven't checked. i don't even know how to check the coolant level on this car. i just filled up the radiator with whatever coolant i had left and a good gallon+ of water. smoke is coming out the front from underneath somewhere too...i'll probably just change the oil and see if any coolant is in it.

Vehicle
    well your head could still be cracked and not have water in the oil. what happens is the water jacket by the exhaust will crack and just shoot water straite out the exhaust.

Car Pics
    vBGarage

DX User
    sounds like that could be the problem. how long do you think the car would last me if i continue to drive it and just make sure water is in it?

DX User
    here are pics. red highlights what i am talking about. first pic, under all those lines is where a coolant hose busted. i had to created my own junction block similar to the stock one because #25 hose busted off with the plastic inside. not sure if that could be creating problems if all the lines aren't hooked up right.

second pic, this highlighted line comes from the air intake. it feels like cheap plastic tubing. i was noticing some smoke coming from where it connects to the intake on the engine.

coolant doesn't appear to be leaking out. it was parked for a few hours in a parking lot and no wet spots. still smoking like crazy every now and then, but i am not sure if it's burning coolant or oil. the smoke is thick and dark but not blue. not sure how much coolant is actually in the engine. resevoir tank is topped off, and i took the rad cap off and a little coolant sprayed out, so it isn't running dry. any other suggestions
    Last edited by ztron; 06-07-2004 at 05:56 PM.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    The lower highlighted pic is a bypass/manifold heater hose... so coolant can flow when the thermostat is closed.... you need to fix it if you haven't already... plus since that hose is leaking your temp guage will read the coolant temp lower then the actual temp... if it reads anything at all... you may have air pockets in your coolant system already.

Earlier the way you desribed one of the hoses I thought you ment the intake manifold was leaking smoke from the EGR pipe... but the hose you highlighted in the first pic is the HOT AIR HOSE... you can pull that stupid thing off if you don't live in cold weather.

but fix the coolant hose in the second pic for sure.

As for the vacuum lines... check this thread (don't remove you vacuum lines though) https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=11067
    #25 is an extra vacuum advanced pulled by carb vacuum, the diagram shows you how things are routed without all the bullsh! inbetween.... vacuum to #25 it bleeds off from #17 via a thermovavle... you can disconnect it however it might affect other parts of the carb if it's not plugged properly. It's best to keep it hooked up as it was and replace the broken thermovalve if you can though.
    - llia

DX User
    yeah i fixed the coolant hose over the weekend. i'll have to get one of those thermo valves from a junkyard or something. it didnt have a part number on it so the guy at the parts store just sold me some stuff to make a junction block. it seems to be working alright, but it's definately ghetto rigged. i'll rip that hot air hose off tomorrow morning. i just need the car to last me a couple more months whether the head gasket is blown or the head is cracked. hopefully it will pass inspection. it's due this month...they don't have emissions tests where i live at least.

also just realized that the cruise control no longer works since this ordeal happened.
    Last edited by ztron; 06-07-2004 at 08:24 PM.

DX User
    alright...i've been driving it for about a week now since it overheated. it seems to be smoking a lot less or rarely. i thought maybe it was smoking less because it burned all the coolant already. i was going to put some water in the radiator this morning, but when i took the cap off, it was already pretty much topped off with coolant. so, now i am beginning to think it is burning oil even though the smoke is not really blue. any suggestions?

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    oil change, maybe throw some Lucas oil addative in with it. that will reduce dry starts. i'm glad i didnt have any problems like that with mine when i locked up the engine after overheating it. i think i just had good luck and nothing else. i would think if you cracked the head or warped it, or anything else like scratched up the cylinder walls, you would notice a good drop off of HP.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap