Thread: Wondering about fan activation....

Vehicle
    87 Accord Lx-i H/B

Wondering about fan activation....

What do you think i would need to activate my fan sooner than it's factory setting? I think maybe a resistor inline, but not sure how much, etc. I put a 180 deg. thermostat in, and the temp still stays around half way. i live in Florida, and man...it's gettin' hot!!! Any thoughts?
    Don

Vehicle
    2010 Ford Taurus SEL, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
    Don you should be fine with it the way it is. You are only a bit over 100 miles further south than I am.

I'd actually step back up to a 196 on the thermostat though. Problem with going colder is its going to constantly stay open and not allow water in the rad to cool as much.

If you really want it to be adjustable as far as temp look into places that sell aftermarket fans. I know pepboys sold a kit for aftermarket fans that had an adjustable thermostat. That would probably be the best bet. Adding anything would be difficult because you won't get continuity through the temp switch in the radiator going to the fan until the same temp as you are now.

Vehicle
    Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan
    If the fans are working the way they should and come on, then why mess with them? Unless you've got some other problems, you will have no overheating problems as long as the fans come on when they should and the cooling system is in good shape. I'm in south Florida and it's pretty darn hot down here too, and my temp needle has never once budged from just below half regardless of how hot it is outside. Besides, the only thing making the motor run cooler will do is make the ECU constantly think the engine is not at operating temp so it'll just run rich and go through gas like crazy, cuz it can't heat up. Trust me, the engineers did a fine job designing the cooling system to work with the rest of the car, just leave it alone.
    -Jared

Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 436,600 miles and still going strong!
    Black/Red '04 Honda CBR 600 F4i -256,100 miles and also counting quick

Vehicle
    87 Accord Lx-i H/B

yes, that sounds right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jareds 89 LX-i
    If the fans are working the way they should and come on, then why mess with them? Unless you've got some other problems, you will have no overheating problems as long as the fans come on when they should and the cooling system is in good shape. I'm in south Florida and it's pretty darn hot down here too, and my temp needle has never once budged from just below half regardless of how hot it is outside. Besides, the only thing making the motor run cooler will do is make the ECU constantly think the engine is not at operating temp so it'll just run rich and go through gas like crazy, cuz it can't heat up. Trust me, the engineers did a fine job designing the cooling system to work with the rest of the car, just leave it alone.
    Just thought I'd kick the idea around. Thanks for the input!

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    yeah... my car has a slightly clogged radiator, and even with me driving 70+ MPH for hours on end didn't push it above the half-way mark... and when i have it idling, does the right thing... cuts on and cools the water off and cuts right back off