Thread: what does the psv valve does?

Vehicle
    Accord 87 a20a1

Unhappy what does the psv valve does?

what is the function of the pcv valve in a carburated engine i replaced it yesterday and there is like a plastic gasket arround it (the pcv is metal) any ways when i pulled it out the plastic gasket was too old or something and it broke the top part came out with the old pcv and the other half stayed in the intake it didn't fell inside (luky me) i put the new one in and it kind of fitted right i checked for leaks with carb. cleaner and there where none. i also torned the u shaped hose conecting the pcv and the intake i dont know if they sale it at auto zone or not any ways i replaced it with a different one but it is kind of obstructed because of the position in which its bending should i replace it with a new one or can i leave it like that?

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    Positive Crankcase Ventilation: It protects your seals by ventilating the crankcase. If the crackcase builds up pressure from blow-by then your seals will crap out.

And never buy a PCV valve from auto zone or any parts store like that. Goto the dealer for something like this. The dealer will carry the EXACT valve you need. It's impossible for parts stores to stock every single valve for every single car. They try and get them to as close to the correct size but sometimes the flow rates will be different and you will run into problems.

-Mike

Vehicle
    Accord 87 a20a1
    damn no wander why it seemed to be slightly biger than the original one and it didn't have that plastic cover gasket i'll try this place here where i live its called Bap imports i know they will have it

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    If you think any shop will have the exact part I think you're going to be in for disappointment. I have plenty of import shops in my town and not one would carry a PCV valve for a 15+ year old car.

-Mike

P.S. They aren't expensive at honda either. About the same as you would pay at any parts store.

Vehicle
    Accord 87 a20a1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike's89AccordLX
    If you think any shop will have the exact part I think you're going to be in for disappointment. I have plenty of import shops in my town and not one would carry a PCV valve for a 15+ year old car.

-Mike

P.S. They aren't expensive at honda either. About the same as you would pay at any parts store.
    This is not a shop suppousedly they specialize in japanise parts but you are right i'll go straight to the dealer instead.

Thanks Mike.

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    To add to Mike's explanation:

The PCV valve regulates the ventilation of corrosive gases and chemicals out of the crank case and oil pan. These gases form in the engine as byproducts and tend to start corrosion in the engine components. Therefore the PCV system is essential for keeping your engine running.
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 LX // 89 LX-i
    where does it vent them to? the exhaust system, or just out into the air in the engine compartment?

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 accord lx carbed
    i thought i knew the answer to that but i dont my geuss is it vents back into the intake for reburn like everything else in the emissions system.
    "i dont have friends anymore and my favorite hangout is the junkyard but damn it runs good"..... by me. "i know i have not gotten laid in a while but trust me the blisters on my hands are from working on my car"...........by me.

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    The PCV valve does in fact vent the gases into the intake manifold. The vacuum in the intake opens the plunger in the PCV valve and basically sucks the gases in. This is also why if your PCV valve grommet is cracked or missing, you get a huge vacuum leak.
    3axap.

Vehicle
    Weber Powered 88 Accord LX
    can u show of pics of where it is on the car?

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    Here is a link to FAQ regarding the PCV valve with pictures included: https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=69
    3axap.