Thread: Fuel Injector cleaning

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX-i Hatchback (light blue)

Fuel Injector cleaning

How do you know when you need to get your injectors cleaned? Do you think it's worth getting a Fuel system flushing/cleaning? I'm not talking about going to Jiffy Lube, but a decent shop somewhere.

Besides, I wanted to be the first on-topic post here

Vehicle
    86 Accord Exi
    just add the fuel injector cleaner when u fill up ur gas and it will clean it pretty good. About 5-6 buks a bottle but u can feel the difference after u put it in :pimp:
    86 Electron Blue Accord Exi
    3geez Member since October 31st 2001

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

ah yes

yes if you have not had a fuel cleaning done in a while youll need it,
    how many miles u got? If alot, and you have never cleaned it before, then you might want to look into getting the BG 44K
    service done to your car man! I hear it is awesome!!! And only available to shops, Im going to get it done to my car as soon as I get some loot.
    Jay
    NIght Rida:badass:
    Night Rida

Vehicle
    A moneypit!

Re: ah yes

Originally posted by Night Rida
    yes if you have not had a fuel cleaning done in a while youll need it,
    how many miles u got? If alot, and you have never cleaned it before, then you might want to look into getting the BG 44K
    service done to your car man! I hear it is awesome!!! And only available to shops, Im going to get it done to my car as soon as I get some loot.
    Jay
    NIght Rida:badass:
    Please explain this BG 44K....
    The GSX was killed, I need something new...

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 accord lxi sedan
    DO NOT use the fuel injector cleaner. I get a lot of cars coming into my shop with fuel problems. All that stuff does on an older car is loosens up dirt and rust from the gas tank and it sends it down the line to where it does not belong, in the injectors. It only take a very small piece of dirt to mess things up. The only good way to clean your injectors is to pull them out and run them on a flow bench which you probably dont have. Just pull em out and take them into a shop that specializes in fuel system. They arent hard to take out. I did mine 2 weeks ago and it took about 15 min to take em out, ohm them, flow test, clean them and put them back in. If you do this, make SURE you replace all the O rings and seals, I found that they are quite pricy though.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

hey tyler--BG44K

hey Tyler,
    BG44K is a complete serveice done to your car which cleans the fuel injectors, throtte body, intake, combustion chamber and much more. I can't quite remember what else but Honda does it at their service department and so does Goodyear. This stuff is hard as hell to find on ebay and is really only available to service shops, since they use special machines to apply these products to your car. Just visit www.bgprod.com and learn more and just see how big this corporation really is. Oh yeah the comment made by RyanLxi, about not using fuel injector cleaners sounds plausible but I guess it depends on the product you use. I know that BG 44K will not do this to your car nor is it cheap shit and has been researched extensivly.
    Hope this helps ya!
    Jay
    Night Rida:badass:
    Last edited by Night Rida; 05-07-2002 at 04:05 PM.

I don't see how your fuel filter would allow anything big enough to clog injectors through.

Having had my injectors out a few times to replace leaky ones I am here to tell you that I have not seen them looking dirty. The solvents in all major brand gasolines pass BMW's "unlimited mileage" test, meaning that they prevent injector and valve deposits.

If you do ever pull them for anything you can get away with just replacing the upper o-rings. If you leave the injectors in the fuel rail you shouldn't even need to replace them. The seals in the manifold seal vacuum only and there is a rubber "cushion" on the top that just acts as a spacer.

Just trying to save you some dough. My opinion is that injector cleaning is unnecessary. Sorry.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX-i
    if you want to clean your injectors just take them out, it only takes about 20mins.
    I’ll kill you with experience

LX User
    I agree with DBMASTER! Just keep your filters changed when you have efi and keep your fuel tank level up over 1/4 at all times. I also beleive in fuel injector cleaners in bottles do help. Many times with EFI rides the throttle bodys get dirty and need cleaning. I think injectors are built very well. And when they leak it sounds like a tire leaking air if you listen very closely,the engine will get hard to start when this happens.....Been there

I have learned a pretty good trick to make starting very quick with FI cars, especially Hondas. This works with our Oasis as well. Don't just turn the key all the way to "Start" right away. Turn it to the "On" position just long enough for the check engine light to go out. This takes about two seconds. It allows the fule pump to pressurize the entire fuel system. I guarantee you will notice that the engine will start almost immediately versus cranking for a few seconds if you don't wait.

Try it and let me know what you think.

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    I'd have to agree with a bit of everything (although I have no proof). 1st, junk DOES get by fuel filters if there is enough pieces but I've only noticed it get really bad in carbed cars. You can see the crap settled at the bottom of the carb bowl. I think EFI cleaner helps but the best cleaning is done at the fuel system shop where they inspect, clean, and flow test the cleaned injector. You will know exactly how well each injector is working, whether they need replacing or not, and you get a print out to look at. I found a place that will do all four for $60 US. Also, I would change all the o-rings even if I have to spend a bit more. I've had a bad experience cheaping out on gaskets by reusing them and it ended up costing more than I saved.
    www.b20accord.com

YK, I believe that the junk you see in the fuel bowl is actually dissolved solids that precipitate out of the gasoline. The stuff is picked up along the way from refinery to the pump and from the insides of your tank and fuel lines. Particles that large will not pass your fuel filter. It will clog and your car will die before that happens. In a carbed car there is always gas that sits in the float bowl so you are seeing the precipitated solids. Fuel injection systems have no stagnant gas in them so the buildup does not occur.

Just my two cents.

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    Thanks for the details. My guess would be that the deposits you are talking about is the white-pinkish stuff?? I also saw some really fine rust chips (I have no proof of where this came from). Whereever this stuff came from, it got thought the filter and the mesh that's on the float level adjuster. But this was in an 83 Accord and 86 Corolla (both had really bad idling and stalling problems) where they only use one fuel filter.
    www.b20accord.com

LX User
    Carberated cars that sit up and the fuel bowels dry up leave a deposit inside. Thats where the debri comes from. If you drove your car everyday and kept fuel level up and changed filters there would not be a problem.