Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What happens when your Timing Belt goes?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si ........ Manual of course.

What happens when your Timing Belt goes?

g'day Boys

My 87Si is at 188,000 km's and its common knowledge that in most Honda's you change the timing belt before you hit 100,000km's. I'm guessing the previous owner probs did it around 90-95,000 km's. I'm about to get my clutch done and I'll do the timing belt at the same time (will cost me $850 all up).

Just wondering about what happens if the belt snaps before it's changed as I'm getting a little vervous about the Km's and the belt letting go soon. Plus, if I launch the car in 2nd from say 2000rpm to about 5000rpm, the engine sometimes stops pulling for a split second sometimes as if it misses a few revs or something....

Can the car get seriously fucked up if the belt snaps while you're driving?

Cheers

Vehicle
    87 Accord Lx-i H/B

on this type engine, absolutely

the valves risk hitting the pistons if the belt should break.

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi
    Dude, replace that belt and replace it NOW. Mine was doing the same thing like it would miss every once and a while if you were driving at steady rpm. That little jump on the tach it does is because a section of the teeth are stripped out. If you don't wanna break down and have to rebuild the head, fix it now.

Vehicle
    1993 Accord SE coupe
    if you're really lucky the belt will strip a few teeth at low rpm and the engine will die with no damage done, if you're not so lucky the belt will snap and the pistons will slam into the valves and make a nice boat anchor out of the head
    Never explain--your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.
    Elbert Hubbard.

Vehicle
    1986 honda accord lx (r.i.p) 1990 acura legend LS
    umm this has been a big debate.
    the engine is NON-INTERFERANCE.
    if the belt snap's the engine's fine.
    i had a friend who dogged his 3g, everyday and did'nt change the belt at all.
    it lasted for a while.
    well doggig as usual it snapped.
    he cranked quite a few time's too.
    it was the belt which was really worn, and we replaced it, it started ranned too.

a few guy's on this board had the belt's break, replaced it , it was fine . . .

Vehicle
    89 Lx-i
    yeah i've heard the engines are non-interference, meaning if the belt snapped you shouldn't damage the valvetrain. of course, don't let it break to find out... get the thing replaced while you're doing the clutch!

Vehicle
    87 Accord Lx-i H/B

that's good to know....

Quote Originally Posted by mr eff
    yeah i've heard the engines are non-interference, meaning if the belt snapped you shouldn't damage the valvetrain. of course, don't let it break to find out... get the thing replaced while you're doing the clutch!
    I thought it was in interferance motor

Vehicle
    89 LX-i 5 speed
    hmm i think that honda engines are interference, i have heard of people messing up their engines when the timing belt breaks, one of my friends had a lude with the a20a4 and his timing belt broke and many of the valves got bent (maybe holes in the pistons too i dont remember) and he just gave up on it

sometimes people get lucky when the timing belt breaks in our cars and no major damage (or even noticable damage) happens, id replace the belt tho if you can!
    Check out pictures of my car HERE
    "drop a 150 shot of NOS sticker on that bad boy and you can run 8s" -portugalfocus

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    ok, well yes, its an interferance motor. think of it like this. your T belt breaks, the crank is still turing pushing the pistons up and down, but your cam shaft has stopped not letting the valves open and close with the pistons up and down run. you can get lucky as a few people have to where it broke just at the right time where the valves were not fully open. thats how they didnt bend the valve. moral of the story, its worth every penny you have to replace that damn T belt. and as your replacing the T belt, go ahead and replace the water pump and the other belts of the engine. believe me the water pump will like to go out on you many times after changing the T belt. actually if you change the alternator belt which also runs the water pump sometimes soon after that the water pump will go out when its pretty old.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX 5spd
    Yes it's an interference motor. I talked to a mechanic at Honda's Civic plant about my timing belt breaking and he was amazed that no valves got messed up. He said every one that he has seen has had internal engine damage.

Vehicle
    then why did my friend's 3g start up okay.
    and some of the people on this board said thier's was fine . . .

plus i heard that 90 and up accord's ARE.
    i don't know . . . . .

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord "S" model, Carbureted
    ok well it is really easy to take the cover off to check it. get a haynes manual at Auto Zone or something and it will tell you what it looks like when it needs to be replaced. any worn edges, fraying etc will indicate it is time to change it. i would not recommend changing it yourself, unless u r a mechanic. the engine is an interference engine. the belt was one of the first things i did when i first got the car for safety's sake. don't forgrt that our cars have power steering as well and not only can you punch a few holes in the pistons but when u lose power u will also lose steering.
    "There are good cars out there, and then there's Honda. Ride Red or Go Home..."

Current Mods:
    K&N Air Filter
    Blue Anodized Oil Filler Cap
    Chrome Shifter Knob
    PIAA Wipers
    Dynomax Performance Cat
    Dynomax Muffler

The car will steer fine without pressure from the PS-pump. A little hard, but it would still steer.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord "S" model, Carbureted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyvind Ryeng
    The car will steer fine without pressure from the PS-pump. A little hard, but it would still steer.
    I meant to put "power" in there Steering without it is not fun and almost dangerous IMO at lower speeds
    "There are good cars out there, and then there's Honda. Ride Red or Go Home..."

Current Mods:
    K&N Air Filter
    Blue Anodized Oil Filler Cap
    Chrome Shifter Knob
    PIAA Wipers
    Dynomax Performance Cat
    Dynomax Muffler

Vehicle
    96 Civic (Turbo lsvtec) /87 accord lx/95 civic dx
    my timing belt snapped..... not good things happened.... dont like it snap .... replace it now and save the trouble
    Jay

Vehicle
    95 Skivic Cx HB
    well, what does "interference" mean?? and what is this talk of '90 on up accords being "non-interference"??

Interfering= The piston will hit the valves if they are open when piston gets to TDC.
    Non-interfering= The piston will not hit the open valves at TDC.

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 LX // 89 LX-i
    I thought all hondas were interference, as are a majority of cars, they're cheaper to produce. Thats the one thing i loved about my 87 camry, non-interference=no stress

Vehicle
    by sean
    "for the last fucking time the a20a is not an interfernce engine. i dont know when where or how it got around that it was but the bullshit stops here. put a belt on it youll be fine "

sorry sean i had too,peep's are confused again.
    ****** 1994 nissan maxima SE ******

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Lx-i
    its an interference engine, im sure of it , j/k . im glad the owner before me put a new belt on .
    Performance Mods: 2.25" Cat Back Exhaust System, 3ARacing Muffler, Short Ram Intake, Accel Super Stock Coil, 9.3mm APC Spark Plug Wires, Autolite Double Platinum Spark Plugs

Vehicle
    i have a confession to make i never replaced neither t- belt's, cause they looked new, i gotta check this one though . .

Is the A20 NOT an interfering engine? Are you guys absolutely sure about this? This is news to me!
    Last edited by Oyvind Ryeng; 07-22-2004 at 06:11 PM.

Vehicle
    nope, plus one person knew the clearance's and he said they would'nt touch.
    plus, one guy at my job, an acura owner say's that also what contribute's to prevent the engine from hitting if the . . .
    oh my head hurt's wait . . .
    okay you know on the block then the piston, then the top of the block, well if the piston does'nt surpass that or does'nt reach to the top then that's a non- interference engine.
    i've seen the diff between a interfernce and non-interference
    a mitsubishi galant (poor engine)
    and a a20a3 whoa!@

Quote Originally Posted by accordlxi2.0
    okay you know on the block then the piston, then the top of the block, well if the piston does'nt surpass that or does'nt reach to the top then that's a non- interference engine.
    Are you thinking about the deck height?

Anyway, if the cam does not lift the valves high enough to make them come into contact with the piston @ TDC, it's all fun 'n' games. That means one doesn't even have to change the t-belt or tensioner to prevent engine damage.

Vehicle
    umm yea, but i'm glad that's over with, you know this should be a sticky.

something like:

ALL NEW MEMBER'S ( OR ALL MEMBER'S) A20 SERIES ENGINE'S ARE NOT INTERFERENCE.