Thread: Metal grinding sound when starting car?!?

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi Coupe

Metal grinding sound when starting car?!?

I've noticed sometimes when i start my car there's a metal grinding sound along w/ the normal engine starting sound. Is it my start or something i just had the thing replaced about a month ago.
    2.25 Sprint drop w/ Bilstien struts in rear & Koni's in the front, moddified 94-97 Accord CAI, JDM power folding mirrors, Prelude A arms, Naxos exhaust, K&N Filter, Accel coil, Advanced timing, NGK-R plugs, 7.5mm wires, Apc H4 headlight conversion, PIAA hyper plasma bulbs every where, 17" Exel Maj rims wrapped in 205/40 17 Kumho tires, w/ 5% platinum tint, painted calipers & drums, shaved tail lights, moldings, antana, squirters, and emblems, Clarion DRB3675 head unit w/ Clarion 6x9s

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe
    This does not sound good. A lot of GM cars do this, but I've never ever heard a Honda do it. Sounds like the starter gear is hitting the flywheel (metal on metal) and not engaging properly. GM's ghey solution is the use of shims. However, we at Honda are precision fit guys and don't play that. I would take it back and make sure the right starter was installed (not sure if trim line or tranny type matters...). If it is the starter hitting the flywheel wrong, you may need a new flywheel (or a ring gear) and starter!! That is HELLA expensive and I hope the shop would pick it up. Do this fast cuz the more it hits wrong, the more teeth you're wearing.
    Or it could be the starter just sticking a little bit and not disengaging. Hit up the shop; sounds like a starter issue.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord LX Coupe
    Mabye it wasnt tightened all the way and then it isnt able to catch the gears quite right....
    QUick check is locate the starter and wiggle it by hand to see if it is loose..
    otherwise it is somethjing else....whether it is the wrong starter or the starter it self.
    89 Accord 2dr Coupe..not a hatchback!...5speed..sunroof..spoiler..custom carb intake..custom exhaust..hood scoop....312000km

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 acoord aerodeck 2.0 EXi

Re: Metal grinding sound when starting car?!?

I know it's maybe too late but we never know :
    I also had a noise like that but for me it was just the silent bloc of the exhaust that needed to be replaced. The muffler use to hit something when I start the engine. That not the case anymore.