Thread: 2G carb to EFI conversion?

LX User
    Vehicle
    85 Accord ES2

2G carb to EFI conversion?

i hate naming threads it sucks.

anyways. from what ive read as far as swaps availible for the 3g, the jdm dohc is pretty much the best way to go. ok so id also guess that that is the best way to go for the 2g's since the part numbers match on the motor mounts between in both gens and i know the you can convert from dpi to mpfi on the 3g's.

well besides finding the es3 is there where else can i get the peices required to convert my 2g to Fi or would i have to swap the engine to go FI? ive got the es2 3Bbl totally stock engine.

how much of my info is correct?

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    well, converting 2g from carb to EFI would require a lot of work.
    first you will have to find EFI version of your car. strip the half of the car. remove the fuel lines, the cabin harness, ECU, what every you need for under the hood wirring, i am not sure about the fuel tanks since they are not the same on 2G.
    it is very complicated and time consuming project.
    i would just try to find EFi version of 2G or even 3G.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    87LX / 86LXiHB / 90CRXSi(b16a) all gone... 91CRXSi(b16a) ...round two
    ...or drop a v8 in it like the one in the accord pics section...
    garagement racing

stlhondas.com

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude DX, 1989 Volvo 240DL wagon died. 1987 f150 4x4
    just find a accord sei or whtever the 2nd gens weree offerd in EFI. adn get everything that shepard said. after you do that coversion. geta a20a3 or soemthjign and throw in there. and it will bolt right in. the es engines were in some of the early 2nd gens, and the a20a3 bolts right in them, and was offered in 86 and 87 as the SI lude.
    -1986 Honda Prelude DX:
    pacesetter cat back w/Magnaflow muffler
    lightspeed header
    ngk iridium plugs
    Pacesetter short shifter
    94' integra coilovers
    k&n oil filter

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    I will have to disagree with you guys. Converting to EFI on a 2ng gen Accord isn't that bad. All the stuff can be taken from a 3g Accord. Of course, some of the wires will nto match up but that will not prevent the engine from running. The only wires that will need to be looked into a little deeper are where the front harness connects to the rear and the wires for the dashboard.

Maybe the stuff from the 2ng gen lude will be easier. I suggest that you get everything from a 88-89 accord since the idle controls are more like the newer engines. a must if you want to use a B16A intake manifold or even swap a newer B series.

fuel lines aren't a problem. You can route braided lines from the fuel tank. The 2nd gen Accord has an external pump, so, getting a SE-i pump (85 se-i) or a 2g prelude pump will be easy. I'm not even sure if you need to change the fuel tank. You probably need to change the fuel pickup inside the tank tough.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

LX User
    Vehicle
    the 2nd gen lude is baslicly a 3rd gne accord in teh einge bay. besides teh fact of the dx being carbed. but the lxi is almost teh same as teh si lude
    -1986 Honda Prelude DX:
    lightspeed header
    ngk iridium plugs
    Pacesetter short shifter
    94' integra coilovers
    k&n oil filter

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Lude 2.0Si JDM B20A Goldtop, 87 Jeep Wrangler many K$, many mods

B20A with B16 EFI

I agree with Carot, there are enough importers who can get you a B20A with the EFI. I was doing research on my B20A last night and ran a Google search with "JDM B20A" and came up with importers and users who have the swap already done, besides the 3Geez guys. I also ran across somebody on PreludePower that modified a B16 to fit on it, basically eliminating most of the vacuum lines, I was impressed.

Vehicle
    85 accord (2x DCOE) 88 Nova (4AGZE + msII) 98 Jetta TDI
    The 2g sei is a hard to find car. If you do manage to find one it only makes 90hp so you might as well swap to an ET dual carbed motor from a prelude. Putting an a20 in there shouldn't be too hard. Wireing and layout is similar to the 3g accord, honda realy didnt change much other then the appearance and suspension. You'll find some connectors that fit and some that dont. Fuel lines are going to be a bit of a pain. A 2g prelude Si pump should work (I believe they use an external pump like the carbed ones do). The lines and pickup will need to come from an se-i though. The actual fuel tank should be the same. These parts can always be made if you're up to it.

andy

Vehicle
    1983 Honda Accord Hatch
    well i asked this question before and got a completely diff answer. i have a 83 accord, and i asked about an engine swap and everyone said that it wont work coz the engine mounts are completely different from 3rd gen accords and 2nd gen preludes and most other hondas. If it was an 84 it be a different story, coz engine mounts are same as 3rd gen accords.

Which is right?
    1983 Honda Accord 2dr
    - Custom 2.25" Mandrel Bent Exhaust with rice tip
    - 3550MP, 4" Splits, 6x9's
    - Random Rice

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    The 82-83 Accord is different from the 84-85 inside the enginebay. Those differences make an A20A swap really difficult. He didn't specify which year it was tough.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

LX User
    Vehicle
    shoudl be the same. the es enigne in teh accord were ran in teh 2nd gen lude for the 1st year of the lude's production. and a20s bolt right into a 83 lude!
    -1986 Honda Prelude DX:
    lightspeed header
    ngk iridium plugs
    Pacesetter short shifter
    94' integra coilovers
    k&n oil filter

LX User
    Vehicle
    85 Accord ES2
    it is an b5.

and i was also contemplating putting the dual carb manifold into it. i honestly dont think the parts will be that hard to find...i work at a parts store, if they dont have it they can order it. :-)

i want to upgrade the suspension and brakes as well, similar to what i had done in my 1g CRX (underneath it all it was an integra..engine and suspension.)

Vehicle
    TWM used to make a dcoe manifold for the es engine. I know Pierce bought TWM's manifold production, but I'm not sure if they have started producing yet or if they are making all of the manifolds. A dcoe manifold for an es is not exactly in high demand.

There is anoter thread floating around about 2g suspension as well. Upgraded shocks are pretty much nonexistant. Koni used to make them and there maybe some floating around. They show up on ebay from time to time, but have been discontinued for a long time. Springs are available from King Springs. They are in australia, and you can pick up swaybars from another australian company Whiteline. Talking with one of them you may be able to find a solution for shocks.

andy

LX User
    Vehicle
    85 Accord ES2
    ok, kyb still has a part number for the gr-2's for the 2g, but i havent inquired further on that. ive talked to king spring before and the price of the parts fromk australia to the us is totally not a good deal. id end up paying more for shipping than i would for the part...

i dont know if i mentioned this or not but the suspension upgrades i was speaking about where in refrence to swaping from hondas. im still trying to find out if i can do this project similar to my 1g CRX.

as far as checking part number and such ive found that beck/arnley makes a universal inline feul pump that fits the sei and the lx which i dont know if id have to change to/swap (whitchever it is) to the in tank pump. i think they only need one pump, but im not sure, but the other parts i need are avalible if i can find an IM and ecu locally.

Vehicle
    The only hondas you have to pick from in 85 are the accord, civic, and prelude. The rear suspension (including disk brakes) will swap from a 2g prelude, but thats about it. The sei and lx fuel pumps are diferent, they both are external and mount in the same place but the sei pump puts out about 30psi more pressure. The fuel lines are diferent as well, the lx has one where the sei has 2, one send and one return. These parts are only available off a wreck.

andy

LX User
    Vehicle
    85 Accord ES2
    besides the fact that the prelude has discs are their any other differences performance wise?

LX User
    Vehicle
    85 Accord ES2

Re: 2G carb to EFI conversion?

rebirth of this thread.

i see that phrenology has an A20 in his hatch. what did you do to accomadate your CV's? i remember you saying something a year ago about the splines being different and the lengths being different.

*edit* i see that my options are either the basterd shaft makeup, or converting most of the front suspenion to the SE-i stuff.
    Last edited by Coy; 03-28-2006 at 11:35 PM.