Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: STILL not working, vacuum leak? help

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX
    Yeah, bare carburetor, vacuum lines removed and plugged except where needed. Could it be I need to rebuild the rest of the carburetor? What could be making that sound?

Vehicle
    1986 honda accord lx (r.i.p) 1990 acura legend LS
    well the sucking sound is normal, what happen's is the barrel open's it's sucking gas from the venturi's look inside the first barrel, and see if when ever ya open the throttle the gas is being sucked from the venturi.
    also is the secondary barrel opening like it's suppose to?
    ****** 1994 nissan maxima SE ******

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX
    Yeah, the secondary barrel is opening. So what would be making it die like this? Are you sure it's supposed to make that sucking sound? Did you watch my movie? When I push the gas in slowly, it raises RPMs higher and higher, then at a certain point it sucks real loud and dies. It's not a slowly increasing sucking sound.
    Last edited by Wipeout; 08-05-2004 at 08:15 PM.

Vehicle
    well it does suppose to make a sucking sound but not supposed to die.
    i'ma look at your vid one more time, i feel like i've had this problem before. . . . .

update, okay now when you step on the gas, instant it make's that sucking sound, that's normal.
    their's gotta be a vaccum leak.

can you run the car on idle?

if so i have an idea
    Last edited by accordlxi2.0; 08-06-2004 at 11:05 AM.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX
    Yeah the car idles beautifully. Now when I rev it up and let go of the gas, it just returns to idle. I screwed something up before that's why it wouldn't idle.

I took the car to get fixed and the guy told me that 1) my car is a POS and I shouldn't spend money on it (lol) and 2) he said my accelerator pump was probably the culprit. It doesn't push against the lever on the top most of the time, it just kinda sits there. Oh and I can drive it but it's real weird. When I push the gas it doesn't go anywhere but if I just keep mashing the gas while it's in gear, eventually it'll kick in and let me accelerate. I can usually keep accelerating by shifting real fast without letting the clutch all the way out (keeping load on the engine) or shifting low and real careful. Once I accelerate hard, though, then take my foot off the gas, I have to mash the gas in and out a bunch before it will accelerate again. It's a real joy to drive *rolls eyes*

Do you think it could be the accelerator pump?

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    Hey Adam where did you take the car, just so I never go there So he fixed it and it's not completely fixed? Was it at Austins? I know a couple of the mechanics there. I just figured you took it there since that's up near your rich neighborhood. Got them rims painted yet? Do you think sweet sounds would install that tv monitor and car stereo stuff for me if I bought a Remote start and car alarm for the prelude? I just don't know much about the stuff to tackle it alone.

-mike

Vehicle
    hey man it's a pos to him cause he can't figure it out.
    noone know's about carb's now-a-day's except us and a few guy's outside of the 3g's site.
    it seem's like it's not getting any gas, take a look at where the lever is then push on it, while the engine is running, either a squirt or jet jet of gas should come out the hole on top of the carb barrel.

oh and another thing try this whit the engine idleing while warm, pump the brake pedal, and note if the car try's to die out while pumping the brake pedal or if the idle goes up.
    that may solve the miystery . . . . . .
    Last edited by accordlxi2.0; 08-07-2004 at 11:47 AM.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    well the pump looked okay in the video... but there are a few reasons it wont pump right,
    the top hat gasket is leaking,
    there is a clog in the fuel bowl or pump passage,
    the diaphragm is messed up,
    the spring is weak on the linkage that goes from the throttle shaft to the accel pump arm..

You should really replace the top hat gasket since that will effect fuel flow for the whole carb if it leaks.
    - llia

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX
    I ran all new lines, bypassed both fuel filters and installed a cool clear see-through fuel filter in the engine bay. It raised my idle a bunch but didn't help my problem. I think the problem lies within the accelerator pump. With the car on, the pump arm is not all the way up.. it just kind of sits there. When I move it up and down manually absolutely nothing happens. It has a new diaphragm and I'm pretty sure I put the diaphragm in right with the spring and all, but I could have done something wrong. The mechanic said the accelerator pump arm was supposed to be all the way up and touching that arm thing that is supposed to push on it.

I went to Gene's Repair and it was Gene that diagnosed it as the accelerator pump (for free, just by looking at it and playing with it a little). He specializes in Honda stuff, especially Honda carburetors. I'm sure he's a good mechanic; he wa s just wary of me spending my money because I told him I was poor. So what do you think? I think it has something to do with the accelerator pump since it doesn't pump any gas when I move it up and down. Should I take the top hat off? I've never had a carburetor apart like that before.

Oh, and when I put the carburetor on again do I have to get new gaskets again? I've only driven like 20 miles on these current gaskets.

P.S. could the top hat gasket leak without me seeing anything?
    Last edited by Wipeout; 08-07-2004 at 05:04 PM.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike's89AccordLX
    Hey Adam where did you take the car, just so I never go there So he fixed it and it's not completely fixed? Was it at Austins? I know a couple of the mechanics there. I just figured you took it there since that's up near your rich neighborhood. Got them rims painted yet? Do you think sweet sounds would install that tv monitor and car stereo stuff for me if I bought a Remote start and car alarm for the prelude? I just don't know much about the stuff to tackle it alone.

-mike
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Austins Auto.. Gene's Repair is in Eagle Lake lol.. basically to get there I just kept pushing the gas over and over again and then once it let me accelerate so I drove the whole way there without letting off the gas. Coming home I pulled onto 14 and the car wouldn't accelerate for like a full minute.. so I was going down the left lane of 14 at 5 mph with cars whizzing by me on the right. An F350 almost creamed me; he saw me at the last minute. I was ready to putt into the ditch.

I haven't painted the rims yet - I'm waiting until the car runs.

I think Sweet Sounds would probably charge you extra for installation of the other things since you didn't buy them there. Installation isn't very hard, though.

Vehicle
    umm if you can afford it.

well so the arm thingy does'nt push on the pump accel. diaphram??
    on the throttle side their is an attachment to a rod and that rod goes from that side to the driver side, and in which control's that lever.
    check to see if the rod is moving, if the rod is moving but not the lever on the pump accel. then their's like a spring, with a clip to hold it in place.
    i hope you get it up and running.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX
    Man, I hope I do too.. I am taking a road trip on Tuesday

The thing that is supposed to push down on the accelerator pump arm pushes down just fine, but the actual accelerator pump arm doesn't do anything. I can move it up and down and nothing happens.. and it doesn't return to all the way up like it should. It doesn't return anywhere, it just sits where I leave it.

Tomorrow after work I will try and take the carburetor out and take the top hat off. I have no idea what passages to blow out, but I have carb cleaner and compressed air. I'm armed, just not dangerous.. yet.

Anything else to check? The float works well (I am scared of breaking it).
    Last edited by Wipeout; 08-07-2004 at 06:26 PM.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    the spring goes on the bottom of the diaphragm...
    the rod is supposed to touch the arm all the time...
    the spring pushes the diaphragm up which raises the rod back up when you release the accelerator pedal... it is also when the diaphragm refils with gas.

then you press the pedal the arm pushes the rod down and the diaphragm is compressed and out squirts the gas...

do you even have a rod inside the hole for the arm to push on? a few people say that their rod fell out when working on the carb.

blow thru every fuel and air passage you find... empty the fuel bowl... do not blow thru the top hat passages, only clean those...

blow thru the carb passages though... start from the ones you see at the top... the compressed air should force the gunk out of the holes and into the float bowl where you can clean it up... oh and remove the accel diaphragm and the choke puller cause you don't want the compressed air to damage the diaphragm.
    Last edited by A20A1; 08-07-2004 at 08:49 PM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    um what he said, damn this is tough, well the float you really can't break well in my expieriance, i've adjusted the float so many time's gas did come out but, only thing i had to do was disconnect the fuel pump.
    you probaly lost the arm, or something . . . .

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX
    The rod inside which hole for the arm to push on?

Thanks guys for not giving up on me yet. Once I get some energy I will begin the disassembly.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX
    Hey A20A1 you should IM me back.. :p

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Quote Originally Posted by Wipeout
    Hey A20A1 you should IM me back.. :p
    Too impatient... I was browsing the board... you IM'ed me as soon as I loged on. So I minimized your window untill I was able to finish what I was doing. You were on hold for like 5 mins?
    - llia

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX
    Normal people say hi or hold on or something lol
    I figured you didn't see my window come up

At any rate IT WORKS!!!! Thank you guys, especially A20A1 for his extensive help!

Oh yeah, as for my problem: there were a bunch of things wrong. Apparently I had forgotten to put in the spring that pushes up on the accelerator pump diaphragm, although I remember putting that spring in. Vacuum line #14 passage was full of crap so I sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner in there and everywhere else..

..and now for the big one. When I flipped the carburetor upside down, the primary venturi FELL OUT. There was no screw holding it in. I grabbed a spare bolt of the same size and bolted it in. I am pretty sure that is what was causing most of it.

Oh yeah I took the choke off too.

When I started it for the first time I forgot to plug the fuel solenoid thing in in the back and it ran like crap.. I was thinking ohhhhhh shit. But.. it works!!

Edit: oh yeah, I was positive I wiggled the booster venturis before, too.. I must really be going crazy.
    Last edited by Wipeout; 08-08-2004 at 03:54 PM.
    A20A1 is my hero. <3

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    you should remove the top hat when wiggling the booster... but I believe I told people to slide it around, not just wiggle it... my fault I guess.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    hehehehe Adam I told you so about that spring. Oh and I caught a 1.5 lb Walleye and Caught and Released a 31" Northern. None of us knew how to clean a northern and we didn't have enough ice for me to keep it cool and take it to a mounting place. That was the biggest lake fish I've caughten and it was right after I got off the phone with you Adam.

-Mike

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX
    Man, I could have SWORN I put that in, though! I couldn't find it anywhere - not on the table where I switched diaphragms even. I think the carburetor ate it, straight up.

Nearing three feet of Northern, that's impressive!
    A20A1 is my hero. <3

Vehicle
    that's how powerful the a20 engine is,lol.