Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B20A Intermediate shaft revealed

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Exclamation B20A Intermediate shaft revealed

As many of you already know, the USDM Accord equipped with the A20AX engine came with axles of 2 different length. The left side axle is almost 2 times longer than the right side axle. This is because the transmission is placed on the right side of the car. That kind of setup is not bad but not ideal for higher performance engines like the B20A. The way to get rid of torque steer is to use an intermediate shaft and equal length axles. Honda used that kind of setup on the B20A. This shaft is placed between the transmission and the driveshaft itself making it virtually an extension of the transmission.

A lot of people buying B20A from engine importers will not get the proper intermediate shaft for their engine or will not get any shaft at all. Some people got an automatic B20A shaft for their manual transmissions because the manual is so rare. The problem is that the automatic halfshaft will not work with a manual transmission because it is longer than the manual shaft.

Fortunately, I found a way to get around this. All of the B20A intermediate shaft parts are available in America (except 2, marked in bold).

Here is an exploded view of the B20A intermediate shaft with their corresponding part numbers

Parts in red are not available in America
    2- 44510-SF1-000 SHAFT, HALF $101.98 Manual Transmission
    2- 44510-SE0-980 SHAFT, HALF ¥9300 ~ $83.46 Automatic Transmission
    3- 44511-SE0-980 SUPPORT ¥3700 ~ $33.20
    4- 90102-SF1-010 BOLT, FLANGE (10X1.5) ¥205 ~ $1.84
    5- 90165-SE0-000 BOLT, FLANGE (10X37) $1.74
    6- 91057-SD9-008 BEARING, HALF SHAFT $23.54
    7- 91260-SD9-013 SEAL, HALF SHAFT $7.30
    8- 91262-SE0-003 SEAL, HALF SHAFT $9.96
    9- 94510-40000 CIRCLIP (40MM) $0.90
    10- 94520-68000 CIRCLIP (68MM) $2.26

I took all the prices from www.torringtonhonda.com
    All the matching USDM part numbers are from an 88-89 Honda Prelude 2.0Si with a B20A5 engine

To have a fully functional B20a intermediate shaft, all you need to do is order the halfshaft support P.N. 44511-SE0-980 (#3 on the picture) from Japan and put it on a B20A5 Prelude shaft. The rest is absolutely the same. If you got an automatic shaft with your manual transmission, keep your support and bearing. just replace the shaft (#2 on the picture) with a Prelude shaft. You do not need to order anything from Japan.

Unfortunately, if you have an automatic transmission and need the intermediate shaft, the automatic transmission shaft will have to be ordered from Japan with the proper support. Since most of people here want manual transmissions on their B20A, it's less of a problem.

The bolt #4 on the picture can be replaced with a Prelude bolt too. The part number is not important for this one.

Once you have your B20A intermediate shaft ready, you will need to use another right side axle as your left side axle. Remember, we're using equal length axles here. This is why we'll be using a right side axle on the left side.

However, you will run into a small problem. The Accord inner joint has splines only about half of the joint length while the JDM inner joint has splines on it's full length.

The USDM joint is on the left while the JDM joint in on the right.

If you read the whole story so far, you now know that the B20A shaft is the same as a B20A5 shaft (Prelude 2.0SI 88-89). This also means that the inner left side CV joint is the same.

The Accord and Prelude used the same outer joint.

The part number is : 44310-SB2-983 JOINT, INBOARD $220.76

I'm sure you noticed how expensive this joint is. This is because Honda sells the whole inner joint. You cannot buy the outer shell with the full length splines.

I suggest that you hit the junkyard and look for busted Prelude left side CV joints. You can then swap the outer joint from the Prelude on your Accord right side joint.
    While you're at it, if you got an auto intermediate shaft with your manual B20A, grab the Prelude one for a couple of bucks and install the Accord support on it.

Voila! you can now use equal length axles on your B20A.

N.B. This information does not apply to the A20A. The A20A engine does not have any place on the engine to bolt the halfshaft.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI 5speed
    good info carot but im still confused! i have a manuel b20a and i have the auto b20a intermediate shaft. So what exacltly would i need to get this to work? Thanks!
    http://www.myspace.com/3364524

b20accord SN on honda-tech,homemadeturbo,clubcivic,turbod16, and many more

Vehicle
    buy a manual B20A5 Prelude intermediate shaft and inner joint from the junkyard. Take away the shaft support from your Automatic B20A shaft and intall it on the Prelude shaft. Check the bearings and keep the newer one. They are the same anyway

Then, take a right side Accord axle and put the prelude inner joint on it. This will make a JDM left side axle :p

Hope it's clearer now hehe.

I need these parts!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i
    thats some good info. for future refrence.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI 5speed
    Quote Originally Posted by carotman
    buy a manual B20A5 Prelude intermediate shaft and inner joint from the junkyard. Take away the shaft support from your Automatic B20A shaft and intall it on the Prelude shaft. Check the bearings and keep the newer one. They are the same anyway

Then, take a right side Accord axle and put the prelude inner joint on it. This will make a JDM left side axle :p

Hope it's clearer now hehe.
    alright cool! thanks for the help!
    http://www.myspace.com/3364524

b20accord SN on honda-tech,homemadeturbo,clubcivic,turbod16, and many more

Vehicle
    B20A SEi
    carotman, you are a B20A God among men! This is exactly the info I was looking for! I was hoping some USDM pieces would interchange, but I have not had a chance to do the research myself. Thank you!!! If you ever make it out to Oregon, I've got cold beer (local good stuff even) with your name on it.

I even know where a 90 Prelude SI (with it's engine still installed) is waiting in a U-Pull-It for me.

Gregg

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Lude 2.0Si JDM B20A Goldtop, 87 Jeep Wrangler many K$, many mods
    Make that a cold beer waiting for you in Fort Bragg, NC as well. Your timing is perfect. Should I get mine running Sunday, with another B20A savior's help, my next step was the shafts so I could get this thing out of the driveway for some street movement while I work on the transmission mount issue. I am lucky in that my half shaft came with my B20A, but the seal needed replacing; now I have the part number. Gregg, if you pull that engine, I will definitely pay you for the trans mount by the firewall
    Chris
    Last edited by skiingco; 07-31-2004 at 07:58 PM.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Re: B20A Intermediate shaft revealed

Just out of curiosity, would this work in a 2nd gen with a B20A and two short SE-i axles which have the same spline pattern as the 3gee? Also, could a bracket be fabricated to adapt the steady bearing to an A-series? I'm sure it could but I'm just not sure about the availability of mounting points.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle

Yes, this would work with a 2nd gen. The goal is to have equal length axles. The length of the axles themselves is unimportant (to a certain point).

I need these parts!

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Thats what I thought, as the CV length is outside of the Intermediate shaft system and therefore doesn't matter. Stupid question, but the B20A bits do have the same spline size as the 3rd gen accord, right?
    Last edited by Ichiban; 02-05-2009 at 02:59 PM.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

just thought id throw this out there but i had a bent half shaft and i used one off a jdm 3g civic Si (dohc zc with the CG gearbox..might be the same as your d16 1g tegs) you just gotta swap the bit where it bolts onto the engine block. so far its working perfectly... same length and same splines as the b2k5 accord b20a gearbox..correct me if im wrong :)

Vehicle

Nice info. So far, the 3G Accord, 3g Prelude and 1G integra have the same shaft. Just the part that bolts to the engine that's different.

I need these parts!

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Does the 1G integra have the longer splines on the inner joint as shown in the first post?

Vehicle

In fact, every Honda that has a male halfshaft has long splines. You just have to make sure that the shaft diameter is the same.

I need these parts!

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

indeed. but aparently a18 got a right axle to fit into the half shaft somehow :s

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    indeed. but aparently a18 got a right axle to fit into the half shaft somehow :s
    From what I understand here, you can do that but the splines are so short it could possibly pop out?

Vehicle

Hmmm, from what I remember, if you use the short splines, it won't go all the way in.

I need these parts!

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

yep , that absolutley makes sense....
    I found several at the JY today, I thought I took everything I needed to get Lude upper arms and the shaft, EXCEPT the dam axle nut socket. I was PO. it is a long ride to the yard!
    If you get a reman halfshaft for a 3 gen prelude or 1gen integra, does it not come with that long spline? Can it be used just like it is on this Accord?
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 03-29-2008 at 12:53 PM.

Vehicle

The prelude shaft assembly isn't the same length as the Accord. I don't remember which one is shorter. When I busted my axle, I just used another hybrid I made. I bought a reman axle for an 86-89 Accord and went to the junkyard to buy a "core" axle that had a busted outer joint.

I need these parts!

Vehicle
    1988 Hatch LXI

I just ran into this problem also. Carotnman can I use anything off of my A20A3 driver's side axle or does everything have to come from the prelude??

Vehicle

The only thing that needs to come off the prelude is the outer joint.

I need these parts!

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by carotman View Post
    The only thing that needs to come off the prelude is the outer joint.
    you are confusing the hellaotta me, do you mean inner joint? the one that has the male yoke with the long splines to slide up in the intermediate assembly?
    why would we need an outer joint? so you are saying the outer joint is long splined and fits into the hub but you can turn it around to fit the intermediate? what about the other end that actually fits into the intermediate of a prelude?
    So what about the 1st gen integra whole axle on the driver's LH side, I know you said you used a later model teg but you only used the inner yoke joint?
    sorry man , but I thought I had this right already, I need to know for sure before I buy stuff I do not need.

Vehicle
    1988 Hatch LXI

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    you are confusing the hellaotta me, do you mean inner joint? the one that has the male yoke with the long splines to slide up in the intermediate assembly?
    why would we need an outer joint? so you are saying the outer joint is long splined and fits into the hub but you can turn it around to fit the intermediate? what about the other end that actually fits into the intermediate of a prelude?
    So what about the 1st gen integra whole axle on the driver's LH side, I know you said you used a later model teg but you only used the inner yoke joint?
    sorry man , but I thought I had this right already, I need to know for sure before I buy stuff I do not need.
    I went to the junkyard and looked at the prelude driver's side axle and intemediate shaft. It looks like you just need to use the intermediate shaft from the prelude and slide your passenger side axle from the accord into the intermediate shaft from the prelude.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

See post #16, the picture shows that the splines are not machined all the way down the shaft on usdm Accords.
    I know from the outside it looks like it will work, but no.

Vehicle
    1988 Hatch LXI

Passenger side accord axle

Driver's side prelude manual axle

Prelude intermediate shaft

Prelude axle and accord axle together