Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: B20A Intermediate shaft revealed

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

Re: B20A Intermediate shaft revealed

i have an auto one on my auto box. if i wasnt so lazy i would swap the AT support with the manual one and send you the AT one

Vehicle
    1988 Hatch LXI

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    i have an auto one on my auto box. if i wasnt so lazy i would swap the AT support with the manual one and send you the AT one
    Cool. No prob bro. I have the intermediate shaft. I was just wondering how to switch the prelude spline onto the accord axle. I figured it out it was pretty easy. I just gottta post pics now to help out future B20A swappers

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

mine had the whole Int. shaft assy intact since it has an auto attached to it and I realized as well that the yokes were sticking in it so all I have to do is swap the A20 short side axle on both sides and change the end on the left side.
    Im still playing with the A20 that is in the car, I am ready to get started though.

Vehicle
    1988 Hatch LXI

OK here we go
    Took the A20 end off

Here is a pic of the A20 axle with the spline off

Prelude spline on Accord axle
    Last edited by bullard123; 05-28-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

yeah. thats how i do all my engine swaps. pull that inner joint apart, saves removing the housing from the gearbox and draining the gearbox oil. saves a whole lotta time :)

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Curious as to how you tooled up to get that swapped, a little short how to on that would be great.
    Good idea with the pics man!

Vehicle
    1988 Hatch LXI

Its really simple. I thought it was going to be harder lol. Tools you will need

1. Small pair of vice grips
    2. Small flat tip screwdriver
    3. Hammer (optional)

If you look in the last pic I posted there is a steel wrap around piece that holds the spline onto the joints. I just used the small vice grip to pull that piece off of the accord axle. After you take that piece off the spline slides right off the joint. Make sure you keep that piece because you will use it to clamp the prelude spline onto the accord axle. Now on the prelude axle the steel clamp piece is different. I used a small flat tip screwdriver and a hammer to tap that one off. If you have any problems just take the screwdriver underneath the steel piece and pry it off. It doesn't matter if you damage it because you will use the accord steel piece anyway. Thats pretty much it
    Last edited by bullard123; 05-29-2008 at 06:37 AM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

it has been a while since I reconditioned any CV axles, I usually just buy reman units. Back in the day, LOL I remember it being a lot harder than that. I guess replacing actual joint in the shaft is harder to deal with, otherwise it just slips into that yoke housing.

Vehicle
    1988 Hatch LXI

Here is a pic of the all too rare. B20A manual intermediateshaft!

Here is a pic of the correct shaft support

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1986 prelude

rhd restoration 2nd gen prelude

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

you made this stuff sound so easy Bullard, these axles are a PITA to deal with. I cant get the outer spline off my newer A20 long axle to use it on the short axle. I am going to have to use the junkyard one which popped right off, just dont know how many miles are on it. I finally found some stainless steel zip ties to secure the boot.
    I have always just bought reman axles shafts so this is not being easy. I am using a passenger side Accord axle with prelude inner joint and outer joint then. /These CV are different, some have three big roller bearings and some have ball bearings in cased with ball socket doo hickeys.

Vehicle
    1988 Hatch LXI

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    you made this stuff sound so easy Bullard, these axles are a PITA to deal with. I cant get the outer spline off my newer A20 long axle to use it on the short axle. I am going to have to use the junkyard one which popped right off, just dont know how many miles are on it. I finally found some stainless steel zip ties to secure the boot.
    I have always just bought reman axles shafts so this is not being easy. I am using a passenger side Accord axle with prelude inner joint and outer joint then. /These CV are different, some have three big roller bearings and some have ball bearings in cased with ball socket doo hickeys.
    Did you get any of the joints seperated from the axle yet? If you have too many problems I have a spare one here that I can make Jdm and send it to you

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I think I will be able to manage. I couldnt get the outer joint off the long axle but the one on the JY prelude axle came right off with one smack. I just have to buy another boot kit and hopefully that joint is ok, it was not dry or anything.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

What happens if you dont use a clip on the outer joint? clip keeps sliding down.
    Also on the inboard , the splines will not go in the intermediate female end with a round metal clip, does a square round type clip go there, how about no clip.. help.
    I know this is elementary stuff I should know with all my experience but I am just fed up with wrestling this thing.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 09-15-2008 at 02:03 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Hatch LXI

Ok. How far have you got so far? Do you have the prelude spline on the accord axle yet? When you say clip are you referring to the steel piece I have pictured above? If you can post pics of the problems you are having, I can steer you in the right direction

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I have it all assembled.. basically.
    On mine the int. shaft is on the motor already, that is not a problem.
    I have the prelude inner joint on the accord right side type axle shaft. The outer joint will not snap on the shaft because the ring keeps sliding up . The inner joint wont go into the int. shaft becasue it feels like the splines are different but it is because the ring is on it. I do not have it with me today , will take pic of it later today or tommorrow.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

what are you guys doing about the vibration damper made on the A20 axles? Would it hurt to just leave it off, mine is awefully close to the fork.
    I used a 5 speed passenger side axle with a prelude inner joint w/spline , put on the driver's side into the intermediate shaft.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

I just left mine there. It's close to the fork but not hitting anything more than it is on the left side.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

hit it with a hammer it should move lol

B20A Intermediate shaft revealed

Yeah i have a ball joint separater from sears and i think it will do just fine, should i buy the half shaft from honda for some ridiculus amount i am guessing, or should i just get a replacement for less?

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1986 prelude

i have a big big big problem does anyone think that they can fix it.
    i have the jdm half shft but the bearing is fucked... badly so i ordered a new bearing from honda america 89 prelude si hlaf shft bearing. but this axle guy told me it cant be done . because there is a lip and the old wont come out. and the new one has 2 bearings and only one fits. which is unaviable. and my new bearing if i do get it in . which he swears wont go in because of the lip wont work . if i mangage to get it in. he said with in 200miles the bearing will wind and then crap out, and lots of nosie. but he just assumes this, but he didnt actuallt try anything cuz he tells me it would be a waste of time.

i got the axle toatally disambled and have the inner race of the bearign out but not the outer race.,
    does anyone have or can help me with tis im wiling to send it to someone if they can fix it for me. im paying.
    rhd restoration 2nd gen prelude

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Is the outer race still intact? You can just bang on the part where the balls roll with a hammer and a punch. It should come out easily. Make sure you remove the circlip first :D

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan (RIP), 1989 (same) RIP, 86 Hatch Lx-i, JDM b20a, Gude headpkg, AEM cam gears/cai, thermal xhst, 2.5/3" lowrd tokico/groundctrl, 17" Seneca whls, hypereutectic pistons, .020" over, 13:1 comp

Quote Originally Posted by carotman View Post
    As you can see, the prelude axle is a bit shorter. It could work but I didn't want to take any chances.

The Accord axle will not go all the way in because the splines are only on half it's length. That's why I said you have to use the prelude inner joint with the Accord axle.
    My accord is lowered (3-4") and I think a shorter axle would be just fine in my b20a hatch.

I think those Prelude axles should fit just fine, if they are almost the same length?

Since we need a full spline anyway, I might as well just use that axle if my car is already lowered that much!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250

Quote Originally Posted by Versanick View Post
    My accord is lowered (3-4") and I think a shorter axle would be just fine in my b20a hatch.

I think those Prelude axles should fit just fine, if they are almost the same length?

Since we need a full spline anyway, I might as well just use that axle if my car is already lowered that much!

I was wondering if you were still around......Anything new with your hatch?

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan (RIP), 1989 (same) RIP, 86 Hatch Lx-i, JDM b20a, Gude headpkg, AEM cam gears/cai, thermal xhst, 2.5/3" lowrd tokico/groundctrl, 17" Seneca whls, hypereutectic pistons, .020" over, 13:1 comp

Quote Originally Posted by RobT5580 View Post
    I was wondering if you were still around......Anything new with your hatch?
    My accord has in the past few years gone OBD1 (we used a wiring harness for converting an EF Civic to obd1 - but can't figure out our check engine codes, 9 and 14 - but it doesn't seem to affect much), it's been revving to 8500+ (first gear, 8k for second, etc, works great)

Probably in the low 200's horsepower to the flywheel

Beat a brand new mustang GT with pipes at the 1/8 drags this past summer

Put in a stage 4 clutch disc

Broke both axles (throwing new ones in this weekend I hope, since it's UNSEASONABLY warm here in NY)

Now bought a BLOX 68mm throttle body (since the LS 58mm one on there is super small probably for the cams and intake manifold and head job that is on that car). Hoping to have some higher-RPM power with the new throttle body (yeah it's pretty big - but also considering an electric supercharger this summer).

I bought the 89 Accord AT axle, and I'm going to use the inner joint that's on there