Thread: Starter or Something Else?¿

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi 2 door Coupe

Starter or Something Else?¿

Recently when starting my car the starter will start to turn the engine then it acts like my compression is to high and stops and or backs up to where it was. I am leaning towards the starter being bad but wanted to get some other owners opinions. I have a brand new battery (A big 1000 amp Battery 950 CCA) Deap cycle. Engine fully modded, high compression.

Vehicle
    87 LX
    Im gonna say its the starter. If its a big V8 you might want to get a high torque starter. Jegs.com sells them.
    ------------------

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by k-roy
    Im gonna say its the starter. If its a big V8 you might want to get a high torque starter. Jegs.com sells them.
    No its an a20a3, i don't think i have ever seen anything bigger then a v6 in a 3g

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i *** 2002 Mustang GT
    Quote Originally Posted by FoX
    Recently when starting my car the starter will start to turn the engine then it acts like my compression is to high and stops and or backs up to where it was. I am leaning towards the starter being bad but wanted to get some other owners opinions. I have a brand new battery (A big 1000 amp Battery 950 CCA) Deap cycle. Engine fully modded, high compression.
    i bet you need to tweak your timing, but it sounds like a weak electrical system. yall dont think that bat would be too much for our small starters do yall? you may be burning them up. i dont know since it isnt stock. what is your compression?
    "Seriously, I have a half o' pack of Rolaids in my dipper" -Stewie (Family Guy)

Car Pics
    vBGarage

Vehicle
    Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan
    That sounds like what my old (original) starter was doing, although it never actually stopped, it just kinda slowed down and sounded weird. It was the original though with 299k miles, so I just replaced it and haven't had a problem. If you have a real high compression motor and you currently have a Mitsuba starter, you may want to switch to a Nippondenso starter (both came on the 3g). The ND greater gear reduction if memory serves me right. I'll have to double check in my service manual though to make sure that's correct.
    -Jared

Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 436,600 miles and still going strong!
    Black/Red '04 Honda CBR 600 F4i -256,100 miles and also counting quick

Vehicle
    Well i have a 9.3:1 compression. I think it is related to the bad ground i started having. I have my battery in the trunk so i guess i will try grounding to the rear strut tower like i have seen somewhere else on this message board.

You know on a unrelated topic, I have been on this message board for better then a year and i am still considered a newbie... strange..

Vehicle
    87LX / 86LXiHB / 90CRXSi(b16a) all gone... 91CRXSi(b16a) ...round two
    you dont post enough, ive been here for less than a year, but i was already an LX user before i donated to the foundation... now im set for life
    garagement racing

stlhondas.com

Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by FoX
    Well i have a 9.3:1 compression. I think it is related to the bad ground i started having. I have my battery in the trunk so i guess i will try grounding to the rear strut tower like i have seen somewhere else on this message board.

You know on a unrelated topic, I have been on this message board for better then a year and i am still considered a newbie... strange..
    what gauge wire are you running on the battery posts?

Car Pics
    vBGarage

Vehicle
    4 guage wire is what i am using, but i bought one of those grounding point things meant for amps and want not, and i believe it isn't enough. its a really small bolt.

Vehicle
    yeah, if i was you i would be running 2 gauge because the battery has to carry that current so far and also turn the high compretion engine. also look into that ND starter like jared said

Car Pics
    vBGarage