Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: Ignition Coil Thread (UNDER CONSTRUCTION)

Vehicle
    1990/BMW/535iA
    Never ever trust the factory gaps. The manufacturer may state that the plug is pre-gapped for your application, but I have found even good quality plugs to be out of spec. It is always a good idea to double check the gap, especially if you are using a performance ignition system where the gap needs to be greater.
    3axap.
    ------------------------------------------------

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Lx-i
    hmmm damn. i would do it if it were easy put changing plugs is a bitch with this car. the plugs always fall out, they never want to screw in, i cant get them in straight, and i can barely squeeze the ratchet in the space. it took over an hour to install them. maybe ill get a mechanic to do it for me cuz i dont wanna do that shit. and i would only gap them when i first get new plugs and im changing them. ive only had these plugs for like a month so far i guess there still good and im gonna stay with them cuz $40's for plugs adds up.
    Performance Mods: 2.25" Cat Back Exhaust System, 3ARacing Muffler, Short Ram Intake, Accel Super Stock Coil, 9.3mm APC Spark Plug Wires, Autolite Double Platinum Spark Plugs

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Lx-i
    that would be hard to gap those boshe +4's cuz theres 4 electrodes (or arm thingys) and there very close together, how would you do it? those might be my next plugs.
    Performance Mods: 2.25" Cat Back Exhaust System, 3ARacing Muffler, Short Ram Intake, Accel Super Stock Coil, 9.3mm APC Spark Plug Wires, Autolite Double Platinum Spark Plugs

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Lx-i
    hmm actually once i come to think about it, i didnt feel much of an increase at all, i have a stock ignition wire, if i get a new one will i feel a diff???

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    you won't fell any diff untill you put CAI full exhaust and ignition,
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Lx-i
    damn. i have short ram, and have a muffler, so now i need an msd ingition? how much do those run for? and i now i dont have full exhaust...

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Lx-i
    oh ya, about my plugs. i wouldve gotten NGK but these showed up as 5 stars onthe computer and the NGK's were 3 stars so i got these, or maybe the ngk's were higher cost, i was on a tight budget.

Vehicle
    89 Lx-i
    i paid like 3$ for a set of NGKs... so i doubt that was the reason you didn't buy them! at any rate, it shouldn't be that difficult to change your plugs. considering you do have the platinums already, you can't regap them. the four prong spark plugs are already set up a certain way, and there's nothing you can do about it.

as for performance, the ignition system functions as a complement. the other upgrades you have in your car are brought to life, as it were, by having good spark. you don't need an ignition box for what you've got under your hood. from what i understand, an ignition box would really only help turbo or nitrous applications. not limited to, of course, but overkill otherwise.

hope that helps,
    chris

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    If you are runnig richer then the ignition box helps...
    You need a header and exhaust before your muffler will do much good.

your intake wont bring in more air if you can't get more air out...
    - llia

DX User
    Does that accel coil give u better performance. I though that would do anything.

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Lx-i
    I didnt feel much performance at all. A20a1 do you think if i get an MSD Ignition box (or if accel makes one ill get that, but msd is the easiest to find) and an accel ignition wire ill feel a little difference, you know more than i do .. . thanks

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Ignition isn't performance, on it's own...

Power can come from a richer mixture with a little more timing advance along with other mods that need the "Ignition" to be consistant and stong enough to ignite the mixture... so upgrading the coil , wires, plugs and adding a ignition box will help in that respect... without tuning your motor, the Upgraded ingnition will give you the consitancy and the strong spark, but thats it... the thing you need to do is work on tuning your motor with the parts you have or the parts you will get.

Which coil did you get BTW Round or Square?
    Last edited by A20A1; 08-11-2004 at 09:51 PM.
    - llia

Vehicle
    87 honda accord lx
    plugs are super easy on this car.................
    1-2-0 mma nhb
    4-2-0 judo

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Lx-i
    i got.. the round one. i didnt have enough for the square. and didnt think i'd need it for the small amount of mods i have.

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Lx-i
    oh btw how much are MSD Ignition boxes???