Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any transmissions that bolt directly to the A20A?

Vehicle
    '13 Civic Si 4dr / 05 Saturn VUE 2.2L 5-Spd
    Quote Originally Posted by deevergote
    Other than the A20A transmission, obviously...

My tranny is pretty beat, and I'm wondering if there are any others that might be able to take it's place. Something that has a quality aftermarket LSD available would be great!

I'm looking to go turbo, so even a tranny with long gears would be good. Probably better, in fact.
    Just a rule of thumb.....

All A-series trannies mount up to all A-series Blocks, B-series is the same, so is C-series, and D-series, F-series is not true (ie. F22 and F20C) Im not sure about the H-series though....... that's the knowledge I have.

If anyone knows more about this subject please add to it.
    Your 4MB signature image has been deleted.
    ^And I'm going to leave it that way.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 LX-i hatchback (for sale!) / 1992 LX sedan / 2009 Fit (the beater) / 2006 Cadillac CTS-V
    Very true... That I pretty much know...

Of course, All F series transmissions (aside from the F20C) will bolt up properly to Any other F series block. My reason for posting this thread is that all H series transmissions will bolt up to all F series blocks and vice versa (F20C of course excluded). Seeing as the F and the H are interchangable, I was hoping perhaps the A and B engines might be similar as well. Even the A and D series would be good!

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

Vehicle
    87LX / 86LXiHB / 90CRXSi(b16a) all gone... 91CRXSi(b16a) ...round two
    you could push 300hp with the stock tranny, but i hear they are pretty fragile in that range... you may want to consider at least upgrading internals too.
    garagement racing

stlhondas.com

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    Houston, Texas (Home of the Quicksilver project)
    Quote Originally Posted by sporkHSP
    you could push 300hp with the stock tranny, but i hear they are pretty fragile in that range... you may want to consider at least upgrading internals too.
    And how would you do that? I've asked this question before, but got no answer, except the same ol' Integra hybrid suggestion. That will only change the ratios to make it shift quicker, but will not make it any stronger. Plus, for a boosted engine, that would be a step backwards as I should be reaching shift points even earlier, so a longer ratio would be better. Back to the original question though, is there a way to beef up (= make stronger) our transmissions?
    "Feed their greed with your need for speed"

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by sporkHSP
    jhonny runs a 450whp+ motor and its the stock tranny. Never broken it and nothing broke. So i dont know what ur talking about

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 LX-i hatchback (for sale!) / 1992 LX sedan / 2009 Fit (the beater) / 2006 Cadillac CTS-V
    You can have the gears hardened, I know that. I don't know anyone who has done it, so I don't know anyplace offhand. I know it has been done though. Reading the Readers' Rides section of Super Street has finally proven useful!

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    You can have the gears hardened, I know that. I don't know anyone who has done it, so I don't know anyplace offhand. I know it has been done though. Reading the Readers' Rides section of Super Street has finally proven useful!
    if you noticed a lot of Nissan guys do that. I tell you from experience, some of their trannies are the worst ever. They get chewed up like shit, and its under normal driving too. Weird shit man.

LX User
    Vehicle
    Going into the LSD thing again... The Phantom Grip pushes the spider gears apart, right? I've read something about welding the gears to get that effect permanently...

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Going into the LSD thing again... The Phantom Grip pushes the spider gears apart, right? I've read something about welding the gears to get that effect permanently...
    not a good idea, talk to OPM motorsports to get urself a clutch-type LSD.

LX User
    Vehicle
    Yeah, I figured... That idea always comes up when the Phantom Grip is mentioned on just about any forum. I don't know anyone who has done it though.

I'm not too sure I like OPM. Their unit seems like a slightly different Phantom Grip... It has the two plates, with the addition of a gear or two. It doesn't seem like a great unit for the money. I read around on here, and I've only seen one person with a definite opinion of it... A good one, but I believe they were race-only cars. I want my car to be as much of a daily driver as my 92! I know everything that I'm doing to it will sacrifice some reliability, but I want to retain as much reliability as I possibly can!

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    https://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=5756

Pics are gone... maybe there is one in the how-to or FAQ section???
    - llia

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord sei
    the reason the 3gen shifts harder is that it is not a hydrolic cluck it is manuall or cable with make it stiffer then th hydrolic like f22 or h22 trannys

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4
    uhh...

i just ran down to my local junkyard and requested an efi 2 litre engine out of an 87 or 88 accord. what i got for 450 canadian has a black cast aluminum valve cover, mpi, the entire wiring harness and ecu, and has BT-1 stamped into the flat spot on the block. i had planned on using a transmission from the twin carbed a18 engine i had scrapped in favor of fuel injection, and dumping the whole kit and caboodle into my almost resto'd 82 accord. is this engine tranny combo gonna work? (the A18 and tranny are still bolted together out in the shop and the BT-1 is at the wreckers awaiting payments) i know the prelude tranny will work with my stock cv axles and am pretty sure the two engines have similar if not the same blocks. however, i really expected the BT-1 engine to say something more like "A20A3" on it being fi and all, whats going on here? can anyone share info on what im dealing with in terms of engines, trannys, interchangability and stuff like that? some compression, gearing and hp figures would be nice to know as well, as well as some cam/timing/performance stuff eventually.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    Gun Metal 88 accord Fi Swap
    isnt the BT-1 just the FI block for an 86 accord. or atleast the ones that i have seen are. should be no difference
    **please side note for the two of you that always read my post and go talk shit about it, get a life**

LX User
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by MarioBurke
    isnt the BT-1 just the FI block for an 86 accord. or atleast the ones that i have seen are. should be no difference
    Yeah, the BT is the block for the 86... not sure if it's all of them, or just the FI ones. I have an 86 LXi, and it's a BT block. I believe the A20A3 was the engine for the 88-89 FI Accords. Also, I'm pretty sure that any Accord transmission, be it the 1.8L or 2.0L should bolt up to any Accord block of the same generation without a problem.

I REALLY wanted to put a boosted A20A into a 2G Accord hatch. I think I've pretty much given up on the A20A idea for now though... I'm sticking to my F and H series!

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

Vehicle
    86 Accord lx-i h/b
    this whole bt thing has gotten my by surprise... so a lude tranny from the same model era as our little 3g's should bolt the hell right on?? correct?? didn't even really think of the sporty factor of it... off to ebay!
    "choose the form of the destructor"
    find the car here:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/sofaking_bob

Vehicle
    Gun Metal 88 accord Fi Swap
    no the smaller prelude requires changing the smaller clutch and flywheel. you have to make sure it is atleast the 2.0L prelude. like the SI
    **please side note for the two of you that always read my post and go talk shit about it, get a life**

Vehicle
    86 Accord lx-i h/b
    Quote Originally Posted by MarioBurke
    no the smaller prelude requires changing the smaller clutch and flywheel. you have to make sure it is atleast the 2.0L prelude. like the SI
    right right... and when you say changing the smaller clutch and flywheel i'm assuming that you mean to one more accord sized and shaped right? this could be challenging.. anyone know where i can find a fi 5-speed for a hatch???
    find the car here:

Vehicle
    85 accord (2x DCOE) 88 Nova (4AGZE + msII) 98 Jetta TDI
    No, you need the smaller 1.8l clutch and flywheel if you use the 1.8l tranny. You also need to do something about the axles since they have smaller splines as well. That is of course only if you use a tranny from a prelude with an ET (dual carb) engine. If you use one from one with a 2.0 BT motor (Si) then it just swaps right in with the accord parts.

The clutchs and flywheels in both the dx/lx and lx-i accord are the same. You don't need to worry about finding one from an lx-i.

andy

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar
    uhh...

--- some compression, gearing and hp figures would be nice to know as well, as well as some cam/timing/performance stuff eventually.
    Here is a Honda BHP,Aspiration, and Application List

Honda Engine Specs

Vehicle
    86 Accord lx-i h/b
    Quote Originally Posted by PhydeauX
    If you use one from one with a 2.0 BT motor (Si) then it just swaps right in with the accord parts.
    i searched it on ebay found one... said it came off of a b20... you're sure that bolts on with no mods??? not that i'm saying that you don't know what you're talking about... i'm just in need of a tranny and that one is like 300 bucks... wanna make sure, ya dig?
    find the car here:

Vehicle
    85 accord (2x DCOE) 88 Nova (4AGZE + msII) 98 Jetta TDI
    A tranny from a b20 wont work, it must come from an A series motor or one of its earlier cousins (BS/BT/etc).

You can pick from:

BS 1986 Accord DX/LX
    BT 1986 Accord LXi/Prelude Si
    ET2 1985-6 Prelude (Needs smaller clutch and axles)
    A18A1 1987 Prelude (Needs smaller clutch and axles)
    A20A1 1987-9 Accord DX/LX
    A20A3 1987-9 Accord LXi/1987 Prelude Si

[for the sake of being complete these trannies will also fit though I can't see why you'd want to use any of them]
    ES1 1983-4 Prelude (Needs smaller clutch and axles)
    ES2 1984-5 Accord DX/LX (Needs smaller clutch and axles)
    ES3 1985 Accord SEi

andy
    Last edited by PhydeauX; 09-02-2005 at 02:07 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord Lxi Hatchback

Re: Are there any transmissions that bolt directly to the A20A?

86 Accord lxi hatch with jmba7 badge here, so do i have a bt engine same as 1986 prelude si?

Awaiting Activation
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LXi Hatchback PGMI

All hub splines and tranny splines, and cv axle lengths are the same for every 3geez? accord, and prelude? I worry. I need to swap my transmission 5spd too and Id love to use a prelude 5spd but is that front end width the same? Cv axles from my accord going to fit or do I need axles for the prelude car and will those fit into my accord wheel hubs?

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Pretty sure it's the same, but I would worry about trying to find that trans instead because good luck with that
    Verify the splines fit the diff and use the accord axles, the trans case is the same so it would fit the same otherwise