Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any transmissions that bolt directly to the A20A?

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 LX-i hatchback (for sale!) / 1992 LX sedan / 2009 Fit (the beater) / 2006 Cadillac CTS-V

Are there any transmissions that bolt directly to the A20A?

Other than the A20A transmission, obviously...

My tranny is pretty beat, and I'm wondering if there are any others that might be able to take it's place. Something that has a quality aftermarket LSD available would be great!

I'm looking to go turbo, so even a tranny with long gears would be good. Probably better, in fact.

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

Vehicle
    A20A3T
    Well I was trying to figure this out aswell.I have look at a few and still no luck.The best bet so far is the prelude tranny.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 LX-i hatchback (for sale!) / 1992 LX sedan / 2009 Fit (the beater) / 2006 Cadillac CTS-V
    Does the Prelude tranny fit with no modification?

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Lx-i
    yeah im thinking of swapping my auto to a prelude tranny also. what else do you need for a 5speed swap? ECU, And what else?
    Performance Mods: 2.25" Cat Back Exhaust System, 3ARacing Muffler, Short Ram Intake, Accel Super Stock Coil, 9.3mm APC Spark Plug Wires, Autolite Double Platinum Spark Plugs

LX User
    Vehicle
    ECU, the proper pedals, shift linkage, shifter (obviously)... I believe that's it. I've never done it, so I'm not positive.

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Lx-i
    whats a shift linkage???
    Performance Mods: 2.25" Cat Back Exhaust System, 3ARacing Muffler, Short Ram Intake, Accel Super Stock Coil, 9.3mm APC Spark Plug Wires, Autolite Double Platinum Spark Plugs

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude DX, 1989 Volvo 240DL wagon died. 1987 f150 4x4
    the tranny form the followoing motors will fit on teh a20.

ET2
    ET
    A18
    A20 a3, a1 , a2, a4....

any lude tranny will bolt . not sure about the ES motors, but i kno that the motors listed above will work. when my a20 goes in my DX lude, my ET2 tranny is oging on. and plus the lude trannies have sportier gears to them
    -1986 Honda Prelude DX:
    pacesetter cat back w/Magnaflow muffler
    lightspeed header
    ngk iridium plugs
    Pacesetter short shifter
    94' integra coilovers
    k&n oil filter

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude DX, 1989 Volvo 240DL wagon died. 1987 f150 4x4
    and as far as swapign form auto to manual, you need the
    ecu
    tranny (of course)
    pedel assembly
    manual flywheel
    clutch cable
    shiftlinkage
    shifter
    console

thats all i can think of off the top of my head.
    -1986 Honda Prelude DX:
    pacesetter cat back w/Magnaflow muffler
    lightspeed header
    ngk iridium plugs
    Pacesetter short shifter
    94' integra coilovers
    k&n oil filter

LX User
    Vehicle
    The shift linkage is the set of cables running from the shifter. I have a spare set from a 94 prelude in my basement (not that that matters any...)

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

LX User
    Vehicle
    Ok, I've been thinking of perhaps making my car RWD... I heard that someone has semi-succesfully put an F20C tranny onto their A20A. I hear that the engine would have to be turned sideways for this to work...

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on making a 3G RWD?

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

Vehicle
    87LX / 86LXiHB / 90CRXSi(b16a) all gone... 91CRXSi(b16a) ...round two
    yeah, good lick with that rwd project... unless you got real cash to play with that probably wont happen very soon.
    and the How-tos on the auto to manual swap help alot on what you need, and if you dont know what shift linkage is, maybe you should not try this one? but thats just my opinion.
    oh yeah searches have alot of info to... thats how i did mine, i only asked questions that came up after searching the whole site.
    garagement racing

stlhondas.com

Vehicle
    Gun Metal 88 accord Fi Swap
    what are the ET motors?
    **please side note for the two of you that always read my post and go talk shit about it, get a life**

LX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Honda Accord DX, 2 dr 5 spd, '87 Toyota Pickup, 22R 5 spd
    would the dual carb. 1.8 litre prelude tranny fit onto an A20 ??

Vehicle
    you mean the a18...? (see above)
    garagement racing

stlhondas.com

LX User
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by sporkHSP
    yeah, good lick with that rwd project... unless you got real cash to play with that probably wont happen very soon.
    and the How-tos on the auto to manual swap help alot on what you need, and if you dont know what shift linkage is, maybe you should not try this one? but thats just my opinion.
    oh yeah searches have alot of info to... thats how i did mine, i only asked questions that came up after searching the whole site.
    Wow, one of the 2Geez gods has come down to put me in my place!

Believe it or not (if you actually read the thread thoroughly) I DO know what a shift linkage is. I'm not the one who asked. My questions regarding the RWD project were more for how the engine would be placed (turning it sideways seems to be necessary). The auto to manual swap how-tos are worthless in that situation... My car is already 5 speed. They really have nothing to do with it.

As for the overall intent of this thread (which I also created), I'm curious about what transmissions bolt up. I HAVE searched the site, and all I can find about B series transmissions is that they bolt up to the swapped B engines. I want to know if a B series transmission would work on the A20A (a quality LSD doesn't seem to be an option for the A series, but it is for the B).

RWD (or possibly AWD) is a long-term project, and yes, it will wait till I have money. My 3G is a project car, after all, so I have the ability to put it down for a while. Hell, I've had it for a month and a half and haven't driven it (except 1000 miles from Florida)

For ruture reference, if you want to "help" someone, telling them to search or read the stickies really doesn't do the job. You can really show off how much you know by saying "search!"

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

LX User
    Vehicle
    And yes, I believe the A18 transmission would bolt up properly to the A20. They share the same block.

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

Vehicle
    ummm Deevergote? those were two comments to two different people, the first to you, and the second to AccordAddict who tends to post very noob questions all over the place. so take a deep breath and ask yourself if the comment applies to you before ranting about it, if i talk about tranny swaps and someone not knowing about what shift linkage is and you arent the one who brought up this information, maybe, just maybe im not talking to you! oh yeah, and unless someone swapped the engine in your hatch, the 86 LXi isnt an a20a(3), its a BT engine, which coincidently is the same engine as the 86 Prelude Si. and im not a 2geez god, im a 3geez god.

yes, a18 trannies fit, but youll have to check on the flywheel and clutch, you might need to swap those with prelude ones too, but im not sure since i havent as of yet began my research of them. but i plan on hunting down the prelude tranny/parts to put in my own project 86 LXi hatch.
    prelude tranny+lightweight flywheel+heavy duty clutch+shortshifter= next summer for my hatch

and im playin about the 3geez god thing.
    Last edited by sporkHSP; 08-23-2004 at 10:54 PM.
    garagement racing

stlhondas.com

Vehicle
    Gun Metal 88 accord Fi Swap
    the a18 trannies fit, but to use your stock flywheel and clutch you have to grind out some corners into the housing to make it fit. otherwise just use the prelude flywheel and clutch, which stock weight is a bit lighter than the accords. If you want a direct bolt up and use stock flywheel and clutch. the 87 SI prelude uses an a20 2.0 liter engine and will bolt on. also has a sportier gear ratio. if i had the extra money i would buy an SI tranny and throw it on before i put the motor back in.
    **please side note for the two of you that always read my post and go talk shit about it, get a life**

LX User
    Vehicle
    Whoops... Typo!

Ok, I see what you mean. I kinda brought this thread back from the dead, and I had forgotten that he even mentioned doing a swap himself... just that he didn't know what a shift linkage is. Sorry for the rant. I get flamed so often by people who just don't know what I'm talking about (when I really DO ask a legitimate question!) that I sometimes overreact.

Now, since I bought my car, I've been told it was an A20A engine. I wondered about the BT stamp, but someone just told me that the carbed block was called that, and I must have just gotten a block designed for a carbed engine... Dumb me for not checking more thoroughly into that! Would the A20A bolt into an 86? I plan on having Sean work an A20A for me in the near future, but that could pose a problem if there are significant differences! Maybe I'll ask him if he could do his thang on a BT...

Same question applies though... I'll tweak it a bit. Are there any NEWER B series trannies (B16 perhaps?) that would work on either the A20A or the BT? My reason for this is that I would like to get LSD, and OPM really doesn't interest me. I'd like to be able to get Quaife or something.

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

Vehicle
    no problem, i ranted the same way when i got flamed for legitimate questions as a newbie, the EFI 86s were BT and the carbed ones were BS engines. the a20s will bolt right in without a problem, but i dont believe any newer bseries trannies will bolt to our block, i know it sucks, i would have one too. its not an option for an LSD, but you can always rebuild with integra internals...
    garagement racing

stlhondas.com

LX User
    Vehicle
    Damn... Ah well. Maybe the OPM LSD will be worth a shot. It seems like a slightly better version of the Phantom Grip, but I guess it's better than nothing! I hope to eventually get 300hp to the wheels, and I'd like it to be to BOTH wheels!

I know a fair amount about 4th gen Accords, but it's amazing how many differences there are between the 3rd and 4th generations! I truly DO feel like a noobie all over again (and not just my title on the board here!)

Regardless, the longer gears on the stock tranny will probably do well with turbo, so I guess I'm better off with that. Now, my tranny kinda sucks. The guy I bought it from said it's just the way a cable tranny feels... Kind of rough and not so easy to shift quickly. Again, I took his word for it, but now I'm doubting. I've never driven any other manual transmission than my 92 Accord (with the F22 tranny and the H22 tranny, but they feel identical in shifting.) Since the subject is transmissions, I might as well ask! Should I have a nice smooth shift, or is the shifting in the 3geez pretty stiff?

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordAddict
    yeah im thinking of swapping my auto to a prelude tranny also. what else do you need for a 5speed swap? ECU, And what else?
    u dont need a different ECU for a 5-speed swap. Ur 5spd is not computer control my man. So get outta that histeria.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    BTW, do some research a bit on 3geez. There was a thread about installing a 86-89 INTEGRA transmission on our Accords. This is the closest ratio tranny you can get.

I would bring you the link myself but I'm in a rush and don't have time to search. It roughly involves putting the Integra internals in your current transmission.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

LX User
    Vehicle
    Yeah, I've heard about doing that. I think I may have read the thread you mentioned, carotman. I'm mainly interested in getting a transmission that can accept a quality aftermarket LSD. I can't find anything for that model Integra, so that doesn't help much... though it DOES give an option. Thanks!

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

Vehicle
    1988/Honda/Accord DX 5-speed and 1990 300zx N/A 5-Speed
    my tranny is a little stiff when shifting also ... i think they all like that
    NA>TT Underway