Thread: H22

Vehicle
    88' Accord LXI

H22

I was thinkin about doin an H22 swap. What do yall think? How much fabrication would be needed or whatnot. I heard it pretty much bolts right in except for needing new mounts.

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord lxi coupe
    i heard is a pain in the a$$! i also heard it was to much money for what your getting in return..

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i 5 speed hatchback
    Culpeper, Va.- home, JMU (Harrisonburg, Va.)- school
    i heard that search knows alot about it.
    "Eat, Drink, and be Merry!"

Vehicle
    88' Accord LXI
    well i know i can get some deals on it all...i dunno i was lookin at swappin in a LS motor and eventually going turbo but i heard that with an H22 i will be SICK fast. I dunno about the pain in the ass thing tho because like i said...i heard it bolts right in

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    well you heard wrong, only 2 has been attempted and only one of them is running.
    3geez for life.

Vehicle
    1986 Prelude 2.0si turbo - 1990 Integra moutain carver - 1993 Nissan 300ZXTT w/ more power than god
    more than one has been made running. The problem isn't the motor - that is easy to mount. The problem is the transmisson. You have to cut the rear crossmember up pretty bad to get the tranny to fit. You could always do the H22 w/ a Bseries tranny - look down a few threads for this - and you will be into the low 13's, but you got to ask yourself, is it worth my time and money?

Some thoughts

Vehicle
    88' Accord LXI
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonScryer
    more than one has been made running. The problem isn't the motor - that is easy to mount. The problem is the transmisson. You have to cut the rear crossmember up pretty bad to get the tranny to fit. You could always do the H22 w/ a Bseries tranny - look down a few threads for this - and you will be into the low 13's, but you got to ask yourself, is it worth my time and money?

Some thoughts
    Its true about the time and money thing...but other than an H22 what other motor would be worth it? Like i was thinkin about doin an LS and then turbo-ing it later...would i be faster with an LS or about the same?

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89
    Quote Originally Posted by 88accordhb
    well you heard wrong, only 2 has been attempted and only one of them is running.
    Who was the first and is the second one (the guy that wrote a lot about it) actually running?

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    why spend all the money on a complicated motor swap when you can put a lot less money into the stock motor and have it be just as fast????
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    i can't remember who were the guys, but i do remember seeing the picture with H22 inside the car.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box
    matt, for the price of any of the swaps, we can seriously make our motor put out REAL heavy-duty power, and still have money in the bank... our engines were built stout from the factory...

if i were gonna do a swap, i would go for the b20a... easy to get in, and the motor itself is fairly inexpensive... finding the 5speed might prove to be harder, but it can be found...

a while back, i sourced a b20a motor, manual transmission, computer, and most of its accessories for $700... this was a while back, though, so i don't expect to come up with that same deal as easily as i did that one, but it proves that they are out there...

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    What's with all the swap talk lately? I thought everyone was gung ho on A20A-T
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Bucket
    dx-t!!!!
    3geez for life.

i did some pricing out on a h22 swap and this is what i came up with

i know there's probalby something else i'm forgetting but this is the main stuff you'd need

prelude bb4 front clip - $2500 shipped
    b-series adapter plate - $500
    obd0 to obd1 harness - $115
    B-series place racing mounts - $640
    cable b-series tranny - around $300-$500

so for around $4200 you got yourself an h22. so for about $600 more you could drop a type r motor in there. so you sacrifice a few ponies but makes for a easier install. but the most practical route to take would be the first gen b16, with the money you save over an h22 or a type r swap, you could easily make it as fast as a h22 or R would be.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    are you forgeting axels? where are you goingto get axels. you will probable have to cutom make them, since no one makes them. $4200 is not enough for that swap. that is just for parts. lets not forget some parts you should put on the engine anyway: timing belt, water and oil pump. better clutch. and so on and on. that is another $2000.
    no, as i said you will need axels, i don't know how much they would cost but i would say $300 a pop. total $600-700 for axels.
    so lets say $4200 + $2000+ $700 + $300(some little unexpected things) = $7200
    for less than that you can drop B16.
    now ask yourself, it is worth my time and all that money to try to drop H22. if it worked in CRX, it doesn't mean it will work in 3G. i am sure you will have to make something custom no matter what.
    I say the swap is not worth the money. $7200 you can swap LS motor and turbo it.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    86 Accord Aerodeck EX 2.0
    omg.. if i had 7200$ in the bank, i'd get a JDM 3G from japan or germany or whatever with <100000 miles on the B20A engine under the hood. and there would be money left for turbo, 17" rims, fine soundsystem and subz.

is the engine swap really worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd79
    are you forgeting axels? where are you goingto get axels. you will probable have to cutom make them, since no one makes them. $4200 is not enough for that swap. that is just for parts. lets not forget some parts you should put on the engine anyway: timing belt, water and oil pump. better clutch. and so on and on. that is another $2000.
    no, as i said you will need axels, i don't know how much they would cost but i would say $300 a pop. total $600-700 for axels.
    so lets say $4200 + $2000+ $700 + $300(some little unexpected things) = $7200
    for less than that you can drop B16.
    now ask yourself, it is worth my time and all that money to try to drop H22. if it worked in CRX, it doesn't mean it will work in 3G. i am sure you will have to make something custom no matter what.
    I say the swap is not worth the money. $7200 you can swap LS motor and turbo it.

did you read the end of my post, where i said the best way to go would be the first gen b16

i'm my posts about the h22, i've just been saying it is possible, i never said it was the best way to go

Vehicle
    1986 Prelude 2.0si turbo - 1990 Integra moutain carver - 1993 Nissan 300ZXTT w/ more power than god
    maybe I'll get bored and swap in an H22 to my SEi junker's front clip I kept; makes a great staging thing. Hmmm..90 teg front mount ends, axle ends...need that sander back for clean welds...I'll let y'all know in a few months if I decide to try. I can get a dead H22 for less that the cost of the gas to carry it back to the house, so I'm not too worried about the cost. Maybe know in December...

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX with B16A1 LSD Tranny(Already Done)
    Axles from the B16 fit the 3G....
    well...i used axles from the b16 in my engine swap...
    Basta driver,
    sweet lover.

http://members.cardomain.com/pinoy3gaccord

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    You also used EF front hubs. The axles won't work in the stock Accord hubs. I know this from experience.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1993 Acura Integra B18A1
    Ls motor in a 3g with a toda spacer and turbo kit would haul some groceries!(hatch)
    Hatches with swaps own!
    "I'll head back to the neverland ranch with a peanut butter jelly chiken tuna sandwhich.."

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX with B16A1 LSD Tranny(Already Done)
    yeah...i used EF axles, big disc brakes, etc....but i retained my coil springs and shock absorber coz i really like the 3G's ride.
    Basta driver,
    sweet lover.

http://members.cardomain.com/pinoy3gaccord

Vehicle
    2 x 1989 Honda Accord Aerodeck 2,0i Exclusive Edition(lather, and one with A/C)
    Quote Originally Posted by rehv_Aerodeck86
    omg.. if i had 7200$ in the bank, i'd get a JDM 3G from japan or germany or whatever with <100000 miles on the B20A engine under the hood.
    From Germany You Can get only Sedan with B20A and be prepared to get it to a body shop for repair the ugly rust.
    This is not so easy to find a good CA5, lots of them goes to iraq and so on countries...
    I know couse I was looking for one especially aerodeck but if it were a sedan with B20 I would take it. Finaly I have a Aerodeck with A20A3 in good condition, but it was a 6- months project to find it.

H22 is very powerful, and it can be uprgraded easily so If he wants let him try.

have a nice ride
    P|eszczoH

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord LX-i hatchy
    ALSO, wheel caps from Civics with 14" wheels fit onto our 88-89 wheels...
    check your reaction HERE
    find 3 differences HERE

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 SEi 4dr (H22A soon?)
    It makes wicked power stock, it's quiet, modern, and it's got TORQUE.

That's why I picked it.

No, it's not running yet. I'm messing with the fuel lines. Again. And I need to put the interior back in it. And the front cross-member. And the A/C.

But to address a point above, I think all you will need axle wise is a Civic axle (89-91?). Attach that sucker to the intermediate shaft. Otherwise you will need new axles costing $400 and up/pair. I will be hunting in the boneyards for such axles once I get the major A/C components into my rig.