Thread: Need advice with jdmB20 swap w/o f/i

DX User

Need advice with jdmB20 swap w/o f/i

Dear sirs,
    I need help about a project of mine that Iam about to embark upon. I ave an 88 LX and I about to purchase a jdmB20. However, I have read before that you can do the swap without converting the car to f/i just by installing weber carbs on it and a prelude dist. Is this pretty much everything that I would need to do the swap because my budget will be somewhat limited after I purchase the engine and I will try to save enough for it's bolt-ons. -Thanks

Vehicle
    B20A SEi
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.cabinian
    Dear sirs,
    I need help about a project of mine that Iam about to embark upon. I ave an 88 LX and I about to purchase a jdmB20. However, I have read before that you can do the swap without converting the car to f/i just by installing weber carbs on it and a prelude dist. Is this pretty much everything that I would need to do the swap because my budget will be somewhat limited after I purchase the engine and I will try to save enough for it's bolt-ons. -Thanks
    You can use the intake manifold and carb from your LX to get it running. A Weber would obviously be better for performance. You need a first gen Integra Distributor (86-87) if you want to retain the LX ECU.

Where are you getting the B20A? Are you sure it's an Accord B20A? There is a lot of B20A info on this board, I would strongly encourage you to do a lot of research before you make any purchase decisions. Everything you need to know has been discussed here.

Gregg

DX User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg86DX
    You can use the intake manifold and carb from your LX to get it running. A Weber would obviously be better for performance. You need a first gen Integra Distributor (86-87) if you want to retain the LX ECU.

Where are you getting the B20A? Are you sure it's an Accord B20A? There is a lot of B20A info on this board, I would strongly encourage you to do a lot of research before you make any purchase decisions. Everything you need to know has been discussed here.

Gregg
    I will be purchasing the jdmB20 from type12hnda. he said that he still has a couple but they all have auto trannys. is it also possible to use most of the aftermarket stuff that is produced for the A20, like cam gears, cams, underdrive pulleys etc,etc...

Vehicle
    18 yr old Prelude, the one with the pop up headlamps. B20 (prototype for the 3g Prelude) ...but in the lighter car, with big brakes
    Almost nothing is compatable with the B20a1!
    with the exception of your stock inlet mani.
    I've recently done the swap and im running carbs and the prelude a18 dizzy. the dizzy isn't a direct replacement by the way, it fits the hole and drives perfect but has to be custom mounted and you have to modify the dizzy cap due to clearance.
    If i can help pm me

Vehicle
    B20A SEi
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.cabinian
    I will be purchasing the jdmB20 from type12hnda. he said that he still has a couple but they all have auto trannys. is it also possible to use most of the aftermarket stuff that is produced for the A20, like cam gears, cams, underdrive pulleys etc,etc...
    LOL! You're kidding about aftermarket stuff for the A20, right? There's no such thing!

The aftermarket is slightly better for the B20A because of it's similarity to the Prelude B20A5, but neither are very good. Go to www.preludepower.com and read what the 3rd gen Prelude guys are doing to their motors. That should give you some idea of the possibilities.

Gregg

DX User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg86DX
    LOL! You're kidding about aftermarket stuff for the A20, right? There's no such thing!

The aftermarket is slightly better for the B20A because of it's similarity to the Prelude B20A5, but neither are very good. Go to www.preludepower.com and read what the 3rd gen Prelude guys are doing to their motors. That should give you some idea of the possibilities.

Gregg
    no i'm not! look around and there's parts for it here and there. k-mod racing and accordcentral are a couple to name a few. they manufacture anything from cams, underdrive pulleys, etc, etc... i just hope that my decision to purchase the jdmB20 will be the right one and will make my ride perform better...

DX User
    Vehicle
    86 Lude 2.0Si JDM B20A Goldtop, 87 Jeep Wrangler many K$, many mods

JDM B20A swap

Well, honestly, I believe Carot is the only one that has his running with the JDM Manifold. I am not sure what the incentive is for trying to make this swap for your car versus buying a later honda that does have better aftermarket support.

DX User
    Quote Originally Posted by skiingco
    Well, honestly, I believe Carot is the only one that has his running with the JDM Manifold. I am not sure what the incentive is for trying to make this swap for your car versus buying a later honda that does have better aftermarket support.
    anybody know of any loopholes, any other way that i could make this swap a possibility. i want to keep this car, and even with an auto tranny on the b20, i just want to do minor mods to it just so that it could hold it's own. i'm tired of the vtec crowd, i used to have a 92 civic ex, long gone now, also i had a 97 not si, but sir (jdm spec, cause iused to live in the philippines back in the day...) so as you know, this will be my 1st old-school project with goals of running even just 15's on the track, something that could make 3gee owners proud...

Ive never ran my accord in the quarter but id think even with the auto tranny. if you could get a nice take off and alot of practice in. you could be in the 15s in a accord even without the b20a. I cant wait to see robs car. Im going to take a stab at it and say his first run without setup dyno help will be better than 14s. Not to hurt your feelings rob but I think that car is going to take alot of getting used to.

man im jealous

DX User
    Quote Originally Posted by mykwikcoupe
    Ive never ran my accord in the quarter but id think even with the auto tranny. if you could get a nice take off and alot of practice in. you could be in the 15s in a accord even without the b20a. I cant wait to see robs car. Im going to take a stab at it and say his first run without setup dyno help will be better than 14s. Not to hurt your feelings rob but I think that car is going to take alot of getting used to.

man im jealous
    what kind of engine setup does he have???

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI 5speed
    yea if i were you i would just use the stock intake and carb on the b20a it will work fine! This guy did it!

here is the link!

http://www.geocities.com/honda_ club...aerodeckuk.htm
    http://www.myspace.com/3364524

b20accord SN on honda-tech,homemadeturbo,clubcivic,turbod16, and many more

DX User
    Quote Originally Posted by adams86lxi
    yea if i were you i would just use the stock intake and carb on the b20a it will work fine! This guy did it!

here is the link!

http://www.geocities.com/honda_ club...aerodeckuk.htm

so that's all ineed to get it running?!!!