Thread: Head Gaskets

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Honda Accord LX

Head Gaskets

Ive been trying to change the head on my goddamn car for over 6 months now, lol, and im just gonna goahead and buy the new gaskets while im up here in the states on vacation, b4 school starts up again. what are the best brand gaskets to buy, where can i find them, how much do they cost, and can someone tell me how the hell to get those 2 tubes that go from the exhaust manifold to the other side of the head detached from the exhaust manifold? what are they for anyways, and if i got like a pacesetter or dc sports header, which wouldnt have holes for them anyways, could i like remove them for good? and what year accord is the b20a from?

Vehicle
    87 LX
    Go ahead and get a OEM gasket from a honda dealership. Don't forget to get the 2 manifold gaskets while you are at it. The 2 tubes coming out of the exaughst are a pain in the ass to get off. I used penetrating lubricant, a propane torch and a big pipe wrench. I also removed the radiator and fans just so I could have more room to work with. One of those pipes is for the EGR, its for emissions. The egr is the one that goes into the intake manifold. The other one is for Air suction and goes to a box that goes behind the Valve cover. Thats part of the emission control system as well. If you don't have emission testing where you live you should check out the howto section on vacuum line removal, then you can cap off the air suction. And you can cap off the EGR while you are at it. ONLY DO THAT IF YOU DON"T HAVE EMISSIONS TESTING, or else I guarentee you will fail miserabely. The Accord B20A was made from 86-89 and was the upgraded engine options in Accords outside of North America.

PS. You should check out Majestic Honda's site, they are a dealership that has a kickass website. http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...catdisplay.jsp

Good luck, Head gaskets are a bitch. Oh and I highly reccomend you replace your timing belt since it needs to come off anyways ($30), they are rated for 80,000 miles and when they break bad things can happen.
    ------------------

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    i bought my head gasket set from ebay. it works just fine. haven't had any problems with it.
    Alex.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LXi
    Quote Originally Posted by k-roy
    Oh and I highly reccomend you replace your timing belt since it needs to come off anyways ($30), they are rated for 80,000 miles and when they break bad things can happen.
    LOL!! Yeah kevin, you would know all about that!
    They say that "guns don't kill people, people kill people." Well I think the gun helps. If you just stood there and yelled "BANG", I dont think you'd kill too many people