Thread: B16A1 swap

DX User

B16A1 swap

Hey everyone. I just got my 3g bout a month ago, andits already in the shop. So far I've found out that the head gasket is cracked, carburator needs to be rebuilt, the radiator is leaking from 3 different places, and my aftermarket exhaust is leaking gas. Thats just half of what they've looked at too. So, rather than pay the $2700 they estimated to fix that, I figured I would just swap in an 89-91 b16a1 engine, tranny, ecu, etc. Does anyone know if I need to have anything custom made to make this work, or do I just need the appropriate engine mounts and hardware to swap it in. Any input would be very helpful, as I need to make a decision very soon as to what to do with the engine problems.

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    no

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude...
    well u could search first then ask but since I am a nice guy... U need to find mounts to mount the engine in then u would need to wire the engine into the car and thats about it. Oh a new gas tank and fuel pump need to be added to ur list of things to get aswell.

Vehicle
    93 civic
    Quote Originally Posted by masterkillalw
    well u could search first then ask but since I am a nice guy... U need to find mounts to mount the engine in then u would need to wire the engine into the car and thats about it. Oh a new gas tank and fuel pump need to be added to ur list of things to get aswell.

uhh that isnt it.

Axles and shift linkages are also necessary.

NEw gas tank is not necessary but a better fuel pump would be better.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Lx-i Sedan (long term project)
    . . . and since it's carbed, he needs to convert to FI.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series
    axle shafts. i was bout to do this b16 swap. but i open my mouth way to early. place racing the the only company that made Axle shafts for b16 swaps for are accords. But they stop doing that. If u welling to pay the money to make custom axle shafts then u got it made. the best to you.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    It will probably cost more than $2700 to do a swap. Use the search button first. This topic has been covered an insane number of times.
    No projects. Life consumes my time and money.

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch
    yeah i would estimate at least $2700 lol

sell the 3g real fast and buy a civic... lots of bolt in B-Series kits are available for those...

otherwise just do EFI swap and turbo the A20 (probably cost AT LEAST $3000), that would be much cooler! and u could have torque!

LX User
    Vehicle
    1987 HONDA ACCORD 1.6 EX
    I think if you speak to one performance shop, maybe they will swap one B16A into your Accord for $3500-4000.......but I don't Know about $2700.
    Complete B16A engine swap 160hp engine (Block-head-gearbox, intake-exhaust manifold, axles, mounts, wiring harness, ECU and shift linkage) you can find it with $1000-1500 and then other $2000+ for custom work-wiring, CAI, F.P.R and exhaust.
    ACCORD 3G RUNS FOR EVER

DX User
    To convert from carb to FI, what has to be done and what does that usually run cost wise?
    Last edited by rmh111985; 05-19-2005 at 06:41 PM.

DX User
    Well it looks like it may be a no-go on the swap. I called the shop today, and they already sent the head away to be rebuilt because my mom gave them the o.k. to fix it, so I'm stuck with that bill. I was considerin selling the head and doin the swap anyway, but I'm not sure. What do you guys think? Fix everything for 2600-4000 or just sell the rebuilt head and do the swap?

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Hatchback LX-i
    for that much i would buy a 4th gen accord. with that car, you could easily swap in the h22...
    Chris
    http://personalwebs.myriad.net/mouchyn/accordsig.jpg

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    i have to agree, you are paying way too much to fix that car.
    you can get used engine for under $500 and do all the work yourself and the car will run just fine.

or you can take $4000 and get yourself something better.
    Alex.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LXi sedan, 92 Legend LS sedan, 85 CRX HF (future project)
    Quote Originally Posted by shepherd79
    i have to agree, you are paying way too much to fix that car.
    you can get used engine for under $500 and do all the work yourself and the car will run just fine.

or you can take $4000 and get yourself something better.
    I don't think there is something better in that price range, I found the g4 to be too heavy for the power/ handling ability not to mention I'm still in love with the pop up headlights......

I would love a 99 accord V6, but thy're still over 10 grand....I just picked up a 92 Legend and it's a fine car, but in many ways my 88 LXi is more fun...