Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: other ECM options

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89
    Rob do you have the B20A ECU (I know you wont be using it) or know anything about it? Seeing that the b20a distributor is obd-1 makes you wonder about the ECU and chipping.

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    you can get conversion harnesses that will convert from OBD-0 to 1.

I'm thinking that converting to the F22 dizzy with OBD-1 would be the best route for a do-it-yourself home made turbo setup.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250
    I dont have the B20A ECU since im using the AEM EMS. If i wanted to i could use the prelude ecu and i believe a few of the guys have already chipped them with the few available options.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    yep, thats where mine is gonna go to. Just like Rob mentioned, you want the knock sensor as close to the cylinders as you can. ans the best place on a Stock A20A1 block is where the secondary thermo sensor is on the back of the block, near the oil filter. I don tknow how it might fit there, but i bet with some help it can be put in place without sacrificing it. I know all the EMS manufacturers say u can run without a Knocksensor. but IMo, i would rather run one, even tho with good tuninng i wont need it.

But either way, to be on the subject, i would say u might look into some Cheaper EMS Caleb. like the Apexi power FC or the Motech or even the Accel DFI systems. yeah rigging ur own stuff is cool, but its not worth the time and headache. also check into crank trigg or even magneto setups for ignition. I know im gonna run crank trigger for sure.

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Damn glad this thread got started. I've been gone for a month and came back to find that everything is going to hell. No stuff from Sean any more and I'm on my own for engine management and a GOOD head.
    Quote Originally Posted by NXRacer
    you can get conversion harnesses that will convert from OBD-0 to 1.

I'm thinking that converting to the F22 dizzy with OBD-1 would be the best route for a do-it-yourself home made turbo setup.
    Yea that sounds like a good thing and keep it cheap. I'm thinking that going to invidual coils and using the civic ECU, since ours is a pain to chip. Need to get back on PGMFi and start playing with this pipe bender........
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX
    Well guys, I don't know if you actually read the engine swap section but I did all the work for you and came with a valid Pk2 conversion How-to I think. This conversion would nearly apply to any ECU conversion for an A20A since I used the A20A wire harness(minus the ECU pinout)

Mike from Openloop successfuly installed an F22A distributor on the A20A also...

Just follow my fire harness conversion and you can use any OBD-1 ECU with uberdata. The only difference is that you need to route a wire for the O2 heater (or disable it in uberdata.)

I have access to a F22A distributor so I *might* try to fit it on a A20A in a couple of months... I don't have an A20A in my car anymore but I'm sure I can manage to fit it in.

You guys are welcome to try this too....

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    me and justin are pretty tired of the lack of cheap engine management so we're gonna start working on the F22 dizzy with uberdata. The dyno run this weekend was REALLY dissapointing.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    yea getting another new head, with custom header, and OBD-1 swap will help my numbers big time. But really looking at the F22 swap will be the cheapest and easiest swap for everyone. Plus with using honda/uberdata you can get a lot of help tunning the F22 ECU and me and caleb could do all the first tuning on it, then pass on what we found out to everyone else to make it easier for them.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    the F22 distributor (the one off the 4g) was prone to have its internal ignitor blow more than its suppose to. How are you guys gonna over come that fact? Are you guys running external coil conversion or something?

Vehicle
    That coil/igniter is just a lame excuse for someone wanting to sell his DIS ignition system......

They do fail.... after like 12 years or so....

If someone's affraid to use them, just use one with an external coil (they were available in canada at least) and use an igniter from a 88-91 Prelude... less wiring would be involved anyway.

BTW guys, I see alot of wrong information here. The F22A ECU cannot be tuned with uberdata. you can only use the Civic and integra ECU. You cannot add a Knock sensor either because it requires an add-on board inside the ECU. ONly the H22A and B18C have those. So, unless you get the P72 ECU for really cheak, that's not goingto happen. Another option would be to take the add-on board from a P14 ecu which is a bit cheaper.

Anyway, it seems I'll have to find a way to mount the distributor on my old A20A in the garage... that will be my winter project I guess.

I need these parts!

Vehicle
    external coil conversion ..........

http://www.accordinglydone.com/forum...22+distributor

Vehicle
    88 LX-i coupe 91 LX coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by smufguy
    the F22 distributor (the one off the 4g) was prone to have its internal ignitor blow more than its suppose to. How are you guys gonna over come that fact? Are you guys running external coil conversion or something?

Remove the Ignitor from the distributor and get an external coil. U do that and i bet u will never have a problem with the distributor. Darryl has it set up like that so its also takes 2 seconds to change the ignitor if it should go bad. Only reason why that thing blows is because of the heat that is created inside the distributor.

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    Mike, you talked earlier about how you had used the P75 ECU with the F22 distributor conversion. Was there any problems using a DOHC Vtec ECU on a SOHC non-vtec setup?? or did you change out the programming for something thats closer to the A20 setup. I'm looking into which chipable ECU is gonna work best with this setup.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    88 LX-i coupe 91 LX coupe
    u can use a vtec ecu but u'll obviously have some check engine lights. I've used a GSR p72 on it before but its definately not the ideal computer for the set up. It will run but less then ideal. if u want a knock sensor i think H23 p14 but i believe the injectors on that are peak and hold. so ur running into complications there. i think p75 is the best ecu for the setup.

Vehicle
    The P75 is indeed really good. Just add the IAB hardware on it if you want to use a IAB manifold (88-89 Accords) and you're set. NXRacer, the P75 is the Integra LS non-vtec ECU. the Vtec ECU is the P72.

As I see Justanothermike agrees with me. The distributor is quite reliable if you use an external coil.

Anyway, you guys just have to try it.

I need these parts!

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    this is some awesome info. thanks mike and carotman!
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    oh yea trust me, I will be doing this very soon

Vehicle
    A20A3T
    Well it would be nice to have hondata or something of the sort.I think I might have some time next week.If I do I will do some playing.But for now.msd btm,fmu,msd sci,bigger pump,fpr and bigger injectors work just fine.

Hondata is possible with another ECU, I even think they (atleast the Uberdata-folks) have something for OBD0 ECU's also.

Vehicle
    You can use Ghettodyne to program a Civic/Integra OBD-0 ECU. Our PJ0 ECU will not work with such a program. Besides, the PJ0 has no control whatsoever on the ignition timing which is bad for tuning.

A OBD-1 distributor will solve many problems we're facing with aftermarket support and tuning ability.

I need these parts!

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyvind Ryeng
    Hondata is possible with another ECU, I even think they (atleast the Uberdata-folks) have something for OBD0 ECU's also.
    the problem with our ignition system is that its vacuum advanced so there's no way of accurately controlling timing. With OBD-1 and uberdata, timing is totally controlable. Also it supports datalogging and goodies like that.
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 prelude si A20a3
    Good to see some new and exciting ideas over here at 3geez. Swapping a D-series dist onto the a20 head shouldnt be that hard. It plugs into the cam just fine. the only problem will be with mounting. I havent looked at a f22 dist lately but i will check out my bro-in-laws accord this week. In my opinion the best way would be to cut the legs off the dist housing and have new ones tigged on. shouldnt be that bad. get the dist mounted and it's only a "little" bit of wiring to get FREE engine manegment. I brought up this topic with sean in person about 8-9 months ago and i got the ole "inferior" honda code speal from him. Blundar from pgmfi seemed to think it was a good idea though. So keep up the good work. If i ever get my lazy ass into gear i might actually contribute to this project.

-David
    87 prelude si
    87 non-turbo supra

Vehicle
    86 LXi Hatch
    here's a conversion harness for OBD - OBDI conversion. only 100 bucks.
    Evasive Motorsports conversion harness
    Nothin' 2 Old Racing

Vehicle
    so how about what exactely to we need......
    -conversion harness $100
    -P75 ECU about $50 on ebay
    -F22 dizzy best bet j/y $100
    - custom wiring thanks to cartman

Vehicle
    The Conversion Harness can cost around 20 bucks if you're willing to do it on your own. All you need is a busted OBD-0 ECU and some plugs from a OBD-1 ECU... I got the busted ECU for free at the junkyard and the plugs were $15 CDN...

I'll do my conversion harness and post a How-To

I need these parts!